Josimer Altidore featured in ESPN magazine "Next"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jade1mls, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Often we hear the worry about lack of pro-soccer players in American sports magazines. Well here's one.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=47874

2. Mistake

Mistake New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    I read my issue earlier today and completely overlooked it..

Doing a favor for you guys and typing this out:

BIG FINISHER

There was no hype, no Freddy Adu circus. JOSMER ALTIDORE simply arrived. After spending most of 2006 at the IMG Soccer Academy in Florida, the 16-year old rookie joined the Red Bulls down the MLS stretch and scored three huge goals--including a 30-yard blast in his second pro game--to carry them into the playoffs. Once there, he became the league's youngest player ever to find a postseason net. "What he showed is mind-boggling," says coach Bruce Arena. Altidore, a native of New Jersey and the son of Haitian immigrants, scored 19 goals in 25 games with the U.S. under-17 squad in 2005 but flew under the radar as a second-rounder in last January's MLS draft. One year and four inches later (he's 6'2" and still growing), Jozy is considered a natural to become America's next scoring weapon. Now that's hype. "I tip my hat to Freddy," he says. "It's tough when people put so much on your shoulders. But I haven't done anything yet." Except get people talking. -- LIAM McHUGH

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I have a real hard time picturing Bruce saying his quote....I call BS on that.

4. srichens

srichens New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    "... and rising racing star Juan Pablo Montoya."

I can't believe ESPN editors included JPM in this category. He's won at all levels of motorsport already (F1, sports car, champ car)....he's hardly an up and comer.

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Jozy is 6'2" now? Nice.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    pic I scanned:

[​IMG]

7. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    Water and a hand-wrist cast? Classic soccer.

He is a big boy, though.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great picture.

6'2"? he should be fun to watch this year.

9. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    6'2"? Wasn't he listed at 5'10" last season?:eek:

I worry for what that may do to his coordination.

10. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    ?

The way I read it Il Bruce's quote is limited to "What he showed is mind-boggling", and until the quote from Altidore:""I tip my hat to Freddy," etc, etc the remainder of the text is all courtesy of the person who wrote the piece.

11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that ESPN has a vested interest in selling MLS, you'll see more stuff like this.

12. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    He is so young and it says he is still growing. He could easily have grown 4 inches in a year. It won't do much damage to his coordination. It's much easier for kids who grew up smaller and get late growth spurts. They have already developed a great deal more coordination than kids who have grown up big and are constantly catching up. I am 6 foot 6 and once grew around 6 inches in 6 months, now that's fast. 4 inches in a year will simply help him. I am really excited to hear this. If he can eek out a couple more inches it will be phenomenal. 6 foot 4, fast as hell strikers, can't ever complain when you have those.

13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine a front line of Cooper and Altidore. Now that would scare the crap out of Mexico :D

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Certainly it's great to see US players bring the intimidation factor, though honestly, Landon Donovan already scares the crap out of Mexico. Gauadalajara's daily paper called him something like "the foremost executioner of Mexican soccer."

15. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we want to scare Mexico. We want to keep bringing players they can easily overlook and give no respect to. Then they can claim moral victory after they lose 2:0 yet again. :)

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And we want to keep subbing Cobi into the game late, just to draw red cards. Even when he's 40.

(Is he 40 yet?)

17. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, they do hate Cobi, don't they?

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great omen as he's in the same two pages as one of the greatest sports minds to ever have lived.

:D

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He was taller than that when he was drafted. In an interview shortly after being drafted he said that he'd grown a couple of inches...

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Arena likes to be circumspect with talented young, man-child forwards. ;)

21. widefoot

widefoot Member

Jul 7, 2006
    North Carolina
    Ha Ha
    Brings to mind an idea for a T-shirt.

How's a picture of Landon dressed up like Clint Eastwood in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

We can call him the "Mexecutioner"

Would be even better live with the whistling music me thinks

22. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah but he hasn't won in NASCAR yet so he's still and up and comer. ;)

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    He's probably grown two inches, was listed a little too short then, and a smidge too tall now.