Transfer saga over: Onyewu (on loan) to Newcastle

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kinstlinger, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gooch to Marseille

Yes it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Louis-Dreyfus

2. FiveToOne

FiveToOne New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Rome

I peeked at today's copy of L'Equipe and they have a quote from Marseille president Papa Diouf indicating the Onyewu deal is close to done.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Newcastle is a big club. Once the new TV deal kicks in, it'll probably be grossing twice the revenues of l'OM.

Their best year was when they made a nice UEFA run and collected $171M, IIRC.

The South of France might have a better lifestyle but the Prem has the dough ... and one should be able to get a lot of sun and waves after one's career is over.

4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I think the Sky article got 2 things wrong (definently one):

(Probably) they quote the Liege guy AS IF he were frustrated about it. In fact, sounds like the Liege is justified waiting until last moment (you get the best offer that way)

(Definently) They imply that the moves to the other English club all broke down because the club didn't want to the move to happen. Not true at all. We know that Gooch is the one who told Fulham no, even if the other cases are uncertain.

- IMO, just more lazy reporting. The guy wanted to cover an angle and arranged things to fit his slant. That's weak.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

They are a big club, but they also seem to be a stupid/unlucky club also.

Have been for a while now. Bad juju.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Newcastle a big club? Hardly. In terms of cash, yes. In terms of trophies, no. As someone put it they are the Knicks of the EPL, large payroll yet always seem to underachieve BTW, I could careless where he goes as long he's playing and getting exposure. I was having fun at you expense, because everyone thinks Newcastle is a "big" club. :)

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

When you can gross $200M each year, you're big.

And someone will buy the club from Freddy ... they have to!

George Gillett, where are you?

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I don't think he can lose either way- as long as he has a legitimate chance to start (no bias against). Both clubs have the potential to be in Europe- albeit Newcastle much more likely in UEFA.

But there is something to said for raising a mid-table team to UEFA. He would get recognition, and be able to move to an elite club within 1 1/2-3 years if he does the business. Its all there for him still. He needs to go where he will succeed.

9. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Isn't Castle in a 1/8th Uefa cup position?

If they made UEFA last year, then they can probably do it again... in two years...

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya but Gooch can go to Marseilles and play CL or Uefa cup next year

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did not say they are in the Champions League. I did not say they are in UEFA Cup. I said that they have a much better chance at either of those for next year than Newcastle does.

And being a G14 club does indeed mean you're a good club. PSG and Leverkusen are having problems right now, but they are, on average, much better clubs than Newcastle.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he comes to the Toon he'll instantly become our best defender next to Nobby Solano. We're a strong side going forward but in desperate need of some talent in the backline.

13. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA

Worst management in Ligue 1. Where else do you have mafia members on the board of directors?

Maybe Onyewu could moonlight as "muscle" for some of their other activities. :D

14. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
  15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

haha...try much of france and italy. :)

16. sforzindrum

sforzindrum New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    België
    Re: Gooch Transfer saga not over - Newcastle back in the mix? Marseille off?

Standard heeft met Newcastle en Marseille een akkoord bereikt over Oguchi Onyewu. Dat zegt Het Nieuwsblad.
    "Maar het is de speler die kiest. Wij wachten alleen nog op zijn beslissing", zegt sportief directeur Dominique D'Onofrio. Onyewu kon eerder ook al naar Middlesborough.

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/voetbal/eerste_klasse/070128_weetjes/index.html

Standard has agreed to offers from both clubs, Onyewu (still) making up his mind, refused first marseille contract and was spotted in newcastle today

3 days left for him to make the call...

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

[​IMG]

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

Sometimes decisions are just not easy..:eek:

[​IMG]

I'd go for the left.. Better for the shoes.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I'd go for the one on the right...more "leg" room.

20. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Glenn Roeder should have Emre call up Gooch. "No no, don't worry. We want you here. I'm Mister black people!"

21. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

I think that after this transfer window Oguchi Onyewu's Big Soccer nickname should be "FLINCH".

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I'd go for the right, mainely because the water is cold and dirty and I don't my jimmy dangling in it.:p

23. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

Also those deodarant cakes burn.

24. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas

I think Gooch wants the EPL because it's by far the best fit for his style vs. Ligue 1. EPL and Serie A are the best two leagues for Gooch's style of play. I'm surprised more Italian clubs didn't pony up with offers. They all saw what Gooch did to Toni in the World Cup.

I think Marseille is a bigger and better club than Newcastle, but the EPL is a better fit for his style of play. Hopefully, he will continue to progress at Newcastle but I don't see Gooch playing any kind of European football on Tyneside. He would be in the mix for Champions League and UEFA Cup competition every year at Marseille. That simply will not be the case at Newcastle.

25. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC

[​IMG]