New Name????

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 30Something, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5089956

Take a look at the second to last paragraph:

"The Rapids also appear to be getting a wardrobe makeover and possibly a new name for the upcoming season."

One would think that the logo presented by Rapids management and NDL would be proof that we were sticking with “Colorado Rapids”. I’ve heard rumors that the logo was being “massaged” (see: modified slightly), however I wasn’t expecting anything substantially different than what we’ve seen to date. BUT, this is the first I’ve heard of a totally new team name.

Anyone know something?

2. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow on:

Did anyone else notice that presence of the “City of Denver Flag” on the All Star Game logo? I find it odd considering the team’s name is “Colorado”, they’ll play in “Commerce City”, and have no graphical or color association with the City of Denver.

Could this be related to the rebranding (name/logo/colors)?

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the author of the story was taking some liberty with this one.

We've seen the blue balls.

[​IMG][​IMG]

We've seen the uniforms.

[​IMG]

The logo between the two is consistent. If it is a name change it will be to Rapids 96 or something still including Rapids.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Funny the crazy things that come out when the media doesn't cover a team and suddenly does. :)

It doesn't make sense that they'd have the logo redone with "rapids" in it if they weren't going to stick with the name.

5. JengibreNAK

JengibreNAK Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that "Colorado Arsenal" is what they're considering changing it to.

6. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One of the first news reports I saw after the Beckham signing was the morning news on Channel 9. One of the newscasters asked a question that required the sports person to mention the Rapids. She couldn't remember the teams name.

7. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ahead and close the thread before it turns into a cluster. I swear if I hear “Colorado Arsenal” one more time I’m going to puke.

I just find it highly suspect that the All-Star Game logo debuted with the City of Denver’s flag on it, the day before the media mentioned the possibility a new team name. I simply don’t understand why Denver’s Flag is on the logo, considering the team has NO association with the city in 2007. Mayor Hickenlooper wasn’t even at the press conference. The State Flag would make sense, but why Denver’s?

MLS All-Star Game logos have been traditionally generic (i.e. not representative of the hosting team like the NHL, NBA and MLB does) so I suppose it could all be attributed to the MLS’s history of bad graphics. Still…..weird huh?

8. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    It's all about marketing. "2007 All-Star Game in beautiful Commerce City, Colorado!" will have no appeal or location recognition with people outside of the denver metro area, and would just force people to break out a map looking for Commerce City, Colorado. Saying it's being played in Denver just makes more sense. Besides, Commerce City is what...20 mins from Downtown Denver?

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JengibreNAK

JengibreNAK Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't expect people to believe me when I say "I heard". You really have no reason to beleive me, no proof. All I can say is what I know and you have to take it for what its worth. But I did hear that rumor that they were considering Colorado Arsenal last week, before the announcement.

11. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Plus, Denver's flag has mountains on it, and the logo for just about every major event that this city hosts has something to do with mountains. Maybe that's why they went with the Denver flag...to play up the mountains a bit.

Reminds me of how I was watching CNN when that avalanche hit Berthoud Pass, and the anchor who was delivering the breaking news said "To recap, an avalanche has hit the Denver area." :)

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to believe you because I like the name Colorado Arsenal or something similar.

I even designed awhile back for it:
    [​IMG]
    Just take Rapids out. (yes, it is a mashup of Arsenal and Liverpool w/different colors)

However, I find it hard to believe they are still considering a name change within a week of their big re-brand announcement.

13. JengibreNAK

JengibreNAK Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the Arsenal name would be a big mistake. There is already 12 years of history with the name Rapids, and fans of Arsenal are called "Gunners" we all know that. I don't know if Colorado is the right place to call ourselves the "Gunners"

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The blue balls at eurosport now come up as unavailable instead of "Pre-Order" like they did yesterday. (Conspiracy theory music ...)

15. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of us were at an event where they unveiled the new uniforms and logo a while back but were told not to post anything about it (even though some people did ;) ). At that meeting somebody actually mentioned the Pantone number of the claret color we were supposed to become. That Pantone number is no longer correct, but my source wouldn't tell me the new number. "We'll all see on Feb. 1." That's all the skinny I got.

I wouldn't doubt that JengibreNAK has good inside sources though.

16. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I hope those blue balls aren't the official match balls at the Dick, or every game will be painful.

:D

17. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I've noticed:
    1) I saw the ball on soccer.com and the back side of the ball still said COLORADO RAPIDS. Weird
    2) Not that I want it, but Colorado Arsenal would historically make sense since DSG Park is being built on part of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal.

18. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually fans of Arsenal are called "Gooners." Get it right d!ckwad!

19. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A spurs fan...usinging the Logo of the Greatest Club in the World..LIVERPOOL FC?

Oh the Irony!

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it is ironic that a spurs fan would put that cannon in there...:D

21. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

22. rapidsfan2004

rapidsfan2004 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    if we change our name my friends here in indiana will be crushed they loved calling us the crapids

23. rapidsfan2004

rapidsfan2004 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    i'm not going to lie i love that logo u made and i would not mind using it we would be the only club with an english type bage but take the cannon off and put a mountain

24. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that logo is pretty awesome....

...PROBABLY BECAUSE IT BELONGS TO ANOTHER TEAM ALREADY!

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no kidding. Credit due was given.