The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part IV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm close to going into mini panic mode. I was really banking on Donnet coming back for another season. Were half way through Jan and have yet to sign a starting foward, a wide midfielder (has the Ruy signing been cleared yet?), and some backup defenders. I really hope KP knows what hes doing.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Are his hemorrhoids that bad??

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I think there's been some really big news in the way of announcing the Ruy signing.

Monday, team sold.

Wednesday, Dempsey leaving (didn't generate much press),

Thursday, some guy name Beckham signs with the League.

I'll admit the clock is ticking for the Feb 28 game, but I don't think United want's to make a move and have it completely overshadowed in the press.

Thx,

Jay!

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FYP

5. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    I think some of us are already there. :eek:
    The salary cap still makes these signings so hard. LA now has two midfieldiers who take almost half of their cap space! I home no one else on the team wanted a raise...
    Our DP slot is fine to hold onto in case we have a tremendous oppertunity and need a little extra to push it over. However, you would still need the $400k of cap space to get the move done, and that would mean losing a lot of guys.
    Gomez and Jaime already take a good bit of cap space, maybe when Jaime retires we will break the bank for a new 'star' to help open the new stadium, but I am tring to focus on a few moderate signings and the emergence of J. Carroll, McTavish, and maybe one of our draft picks.
    Keeping lower expectations is all that is keeping me on this side of panic mode. :(

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    :confused:

Thx,

Jay!

Added: I doubt they announce anything today with the draft and all. Unless we make a trade that involves signing someone.

7. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sigh indeed. I don't see anything coming out of this season. The Donnet bit really depresses me. During the holiday season when the newly-minted Fox Soccer Report was desperate for games of the week, they showed a Super Classico from a couple of years back. What's the first highlight? Tevez with a through ball to Donnet. Geez. What a waste of time for him and DC United.

8. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    yes.

9. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Today from a Honduras newspaper:

http://www.latribuna.info/news/48/ARTICLE/3260/2007-01-11.html

The article says that Luciano Emilio, brazilian striker of Olimpia (Honduras), was signed by DC United for 4 years, the article also includes quotes from the player saying that he's sorry for leaving Olimpia, but that the officers of the club took much time to make an offer to retain him, and that's why he decided to leave.

It mentions that his first official commitment with DC United would be facing his former club Olimpia on the CCC, and finally the writer makes the claim that officers of DC United would invest millions in signing other players to make DC one of the best clubs in MLS.

10. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Wow KP works fast, he must've read my post. So anyone with stats on this guy, very interesting to see that he comes from our CCC opponent hopefully he comes with a good goal scoring record.

Quick search shows he was the league leading goal scorer last season. As well as the 03-4, and 04-05 season.

11. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Well that's a juicy rumor tidbit. Quite the coup it would be to sign a striker from Olympia right before facing them in the CCC.

[​IMG]

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    This sort of answers my question, which is the rather obvious, "Is he any good?"

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I take it that he's not cup-tied.

14. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Sounds good so far, I'm trying to find out how old his is but I'm not finding any luck searching for that, anyone happen to know?

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn you , Sachin, for asking sensible and relevant questions .......

16. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
  17. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Well I think he played in Germany before heading to Olympia. I found a German site which lists his birthdate as 12/12/1978. That makes him a young 28.

18. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Here's another article from a different newspaper tha goes on in the Luciano Emilio rumor, the main info is pretty much the same, 4 year contract, Olimpia took much time to make an offer to retain him, on this articles he says that the offer from DC is way better than the one Olimpia made him. The most interesting thing in this new article is that according to them Luciano Emilio would be presented on Monday as a new member of DC United.

http://www.elheraldo.hn/zona_nota.php?nid=65743&sec=5&fecha=2007-01-12

19. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I'm pretty sure we've had threads about acquiring Luciano Emilio in previous offseasons.

20. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Thanks for tracking these down El Kapitan! Good stuff.

Looks like this is indeed going to happen. If nothing else he's proven himself a very reliable goal scorer in Honduras. He is a solid player, not someone just looking to restart his career.

He also appears to have had success in CONCACAF competitions.

21. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Just read the El Heraldo article linked by Kapitan and I gotta agree with Tuna that his acquisition looks like a done deal. The article is actually an interview where Luciano Emilio explains why he's decided to accept DC United's offer and why he's leaving Olimpia - he felt they were putting him off and DC came along with a better offer.

He says he signed a 4-year deal with DC with some sort of option to go to another country if he gets a good offer.

22. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Another article from a different newspaper, and yes this one and the previous are interviews, it's basically the same info, probably a bunch of reporters jump on him in the airport and everybody has the same stuff.

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes_nota.php?id04962=887&t=1168578000

On this one they say that Luciano Emilio had some problems with an officer of Olimpia, although they don't elaborate on the subject.

23. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not if he hasn't played for Olimpia in this year's competition.

24. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I was just about to say the same thing, once I saw his picture in one of those articles I knew I saw him somewhere before. Well Olimpia website (not sure if official) also confirming the move. Looks like a solid pickup.

25. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is. My mood is lifting. :D