MLS 2007 SuperDraft Speculation?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Aerick, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, Moore didn't get a crap contract, but at 45K it still shouldn't compete with 2Bundesliga reserves. Or maybe it does. I don't really know what they pay.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As long as we're starting the mock drafts:

1. Toronto – Maurice Edu

This is really too high to take the best Canadian talent and they probably would like to trade down. If not, they take the best field player.

2. Columbus – Chris Seitz

Sigi has a young team that is building for the future. This is another piece. Personally, I would consider Findley, but they’ll be back up here next year so they can get a forward then.

3. Kansas City – Bakary Soumare

They have a solid defense so they can take their time with this rough, but outstanding, prospect.

4. Real Salt Lake – Greg Dalby

If there are salary cap issues then they could go with Wallace. But Dalby can help right now and they need the help.

5. LA Galaxy – Robbie Findley

Lots of picks but not much to do with them. The need is in the midfield but nothing special is available. They expressed an interest in Findley, so I’ll put him on the list, although I would seriously consider Cunliffe.

6. Colorado – Abdus Ibrahim

At this point the draft is starting to get thin. They take a Generation addidas player because, well, he’s Generation addidas.

7. Chivas – Jay Needham

Can you draft a coach? Outside of a coach, their two big needs are central defenders and prospects at forward. Needham is the quality in defense.

8. Chicago – Amaechi Igwe

More Generation addidas.

9. Dallas – Brian Arguez

And even more Generation addidas.

10. LA – John Cunliffe

Cunliffe falls to them after all. Can play forward but might also see some time wide left. I was tempted to put Cory Ashe here, just to make a Cobi Ashe joke, but it’s a choice between speed and skill and Yallop will go with skill.

11. DC – Randi Patterson

Dismayed at the lack of South Americans in the draft, they resign themselves to picking up some depth at forward.

12. New England – Nico Colaluca

A lack of good choices may mean a compromise with Colaluca: a talented player with some advantages (Generation addidas) and disadvantages (questionable defense and temperament).

13. Houston – Cory Ashe

All they need is a speedy forward to be the dominant team in MLS. But with Findley and Patterson gone, the choices are not so good. They take Cory Ashe who provides speed wide left and at forward.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me preface this by saying i have no freaking clue how goes where.

#1- Kansas City- Chris Seitz

trades up for their pick and some allocation money to land a much needed goalkeeper and GA signing ( doesnt cost them against the cap)

#2- Columbus Crew- Greg Dalby

Sigi takes his former U-20 captain

#3- Toronto- Bakari Soumare

Top GA defender and a YI, perfect sense for Toronto who will need all available cap space to sign their big guns.

#4- RSL- Amaechi Igwe

Ellinger follows form and takes yet another former U-17 he coached.

#5-Los Angeles- Maurice Edu

LA looks to finally find a good d-mid to cover for what is an attacking minded midfeild.

#6- Colorado- Anthony Wallace

U-20 GA defender to shore up what was one of the poorer defenses in MLS last year.

#7- Chivas USA- Abdus Ibrahim

They love attacking players and this little U-17 gem could blossum into a star in a couple years.

#8- Chicago- Nico Colaluca

GA wide midfielder to compliment Mapp and possibly replace him in a couple years if he transfers out.

#9- Dallas- Jay Needham
    Dallas could go with the local kid in a position they desprately need to fill, as their defenders were considered a glaring weakness in 2006. He can play now, which is what they need.

#10- Los Angeles- Robbie Findley
    LA may be lucky to land him this late, they could use a forward to bag goals since they traded Herc.

#11- DC United- Bryan Arguez
    Takes the GA midfielder and hoes to land a solid defender later in the draft, perhaps a Kiwi (they had sucess with the last one) in Andrew Boyens.

#12- New England- John Cunliffe
    With Duece and Pepe gone they need an attacking player with versitility (can play forward or mid) and is a Brit which maybe Nicol may like.

#13- Houston- Mike Sambursky
    Takes the Texas native who is versitle and has a high work rate, traits Dom K admires.

I forgot that KC traded for kevin hartman so i guess they wouldnt trade up for Sietz...but whatever. I'll be lucky to get one right anyway.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The only disagreement I have is about the mid, and that only since DC took wing mids two years in a row (Moose and Van Sicklen) and got nothing from them. I think they're twice bitten, thrice shy, and will be going the foreign route (either Ruy or someone else) for that.

Werd. They're not looking for a prospect/project. No Abdus Ibrahims. Not unless they could pick him up with a cheap later pick.

OS, I'll make two bets here I made in bonji's blog:
    1 - Edu goes before Dalby
    2 - If Cunliffe is still there for DC, they take him. By the logic discussed above, I'm not feeling an Arguez type for us.

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE picks Colaluca if he drops to 12.

7. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad mock draft.

I disagree with your Dallas pick. FCD already has Vanney, Serrioux, Moor, Yi, and Goodson. The last thing the hoops need is a centre back. We do need a right back, but I think Yi can fill that spot.

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think most mockdrafts will be a crapshoot due to the wide range of opinions on senior players in the draft and the lack of a full GA list. The fact that Michael Harrington failed to make any of the mockdrafts here is stunning because he's the top-rated leftback in a draft dominated by right-footed defenders. Unless something happens soon with K-Town, Harrington will be one of the players taken in the first round based on position alone.

Speaking as a DC fan, I don't see them going after a GA player, much less a central mid. Harrington or John Cunliffe are far more suited to DC's system and would instantly be able to compete for a starting spot on the left. Any forward or central midfielder selected would be nothing more than reserve depth, while DC will likely look to pick up an impact player.

As for other teams, RSL would be wise to pick up a central defender (Dalby, Soumare, or Needham), as would LA and Colorado. TFC could use a backup like Seitz, but Edu is a pretty tempting option as well. I could see them trading the top spot if it nets them a quality player or two. Columbus still needs a forward (Findley), and Chicago could go for a right midfielder. Chivas and KC are wildcards who will likely look for best available talent (most likely GA players). NE and Houston get the best of whatever's left.

9. SoccaSocca

SoccaSocca New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I heard that fox soccer channel will show two hours coverage of the draft later in the evening??

10. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my annual take on a Superdraft Mock Draft. Although the Generation Adidas names have not been released by MLS, I went with the names which have been unofficially confirmed via various sources and they command their usual high draft pick premium due to being salary cap and senior roster exempt. Here 'tis:

1st Round
    1. TOR – Maurice Edu – M – Maryland [GA]: Lots of questions regarding this pick as the final Generation Adidas list has not been released and there is talk that a Canuck (i.e. Tyler Rosenlund – M – UCSB) could make it at Toronto’s request. If so, he becomes the #1 pick unless TFC feels that it can trade down a few spots to get him. The only player (Seitz) for whom I can see another team trading up to to get him would be the Rapids, who sit with picks #6, #17 and #18. In terms of Edu and TFC, his Salary cap/Senior Roster-exempt status is key, plus his only competition at DM as of now is Nagamura. TFC still has a few open US citizen roster spots open so they are not locked into only drafting Canucks.
    2. CLM – Chris Seitz – G – Maryland [GA]: Crew have lots of holes to fill but after last year’s goalie carousel (Busch – Walker – Popik – Gruenebaum – Gaudette – Baumstark – Jakubik – Palmer), the chance to draft a franchise goalie is too good to pass despite acquiring Hesmer in the off-seasoon. Siggy takes a Terp in the 1st round for the second straight year.
    3. KC – Bryan Arguez – M – Brandenton [GA]: KC went young last year with Movsisyan and with an aging midfield, it makes sense to go young again this year. Arguez’s high upside potential makes him the pick here.
    4. RSL – Bakary Soumare – D – Virginia [GA]: With Pope as a mentor, this pick makes plenty of sense for RSL which has yet to draft a defender with any of its previous Superdraft picks – it is time to draft a blue chipper.
    5. LA – Greg Dalby – M – Notre Dame: Saragosa left last year, Nagamura went to Toronto in the off-season and Vagenas can not play forever. With all of the Gal’s draft picks, they can afford to draft an experienced player who can play DM and some CB and get Gen Ad players with later picks.
    6. COL [NY] – Amaechi Igwe – D/M – Santa Clara [GA]: A versatile young left-sided player is something that the Rapids have been lacking – and his salary cap exempt status is the icing on the cake. Seem like the team most likely to trade up to get the #1 overall pick to grab Seitz based on current goalie situation and abundance of early draft picks.
    7. CHIV – Robbie Findley – F – Oregon State: With Bradley gone and no coach at the helm, I guess that Preki is handling much of the player scouting. If he strictly goes on Combine results, Findley is a good option for him to begin to replace the departed offense talents of Palencia and Garica.
    8. CHI – Nico Colaluca – M – Virginia [GA]: Revs want him but Fire get him as someone who can play AM or RM (assuming that he can handle the defending part).
    9. DAL – Anthony Wallace – M/D – South Florida [GA]: Outside back who can also play DM. With an aging Rhine at RB and Valakari gone, he is a good fit for the Hoops.
    10. LA [COL] – John Cunliffe – F – Ft. Lewis: Combine star continues to climb in the rankings. With Yallop as coach and the Gals with plenty of picks, he seems to be a decent fit here in a weak Superdraft class despite his International Player status which would typically drag down his draft position.
    11. DC – Michael Harrington – D/M – North Carolina: Left-sided player provides much needed cover with Prideaux and Adu out west.
    12. NE – Ryan Solle – M – Wake Forest: No Dempsey, no Cancela means no depth in terms of central play-making AMs. Revs have had good luck with recent Wake Forest picks (i.e. Parkhurst, Riley).
    13. HOU – Jay Needham – D – SMU: No Serioux means less CB cover – Dynamo stay in Texas (as they seem to often want to do) to get their man.

2nd Round
    14. DAL [TOR] – Mike Sambursky – D/M/F – South Carolina: There is a question as to his position in MLS but that kind of versatility makes this Texas player have some value to the Hoops.
    15. CLM – John DiRaimondo – M – St. Louis: If Gaven is still going to be used as a F and Hejduk is Cologne-bound, then Crew draft to get some RM/RB help.
    16. LA [KC] - Abdus Ibrahim – F/M – Bradenton [GA]: Seems like a Quavas Kirk-type pick (youngster with upside – just not ready for Adu/Altidore-type rookie minutes. In the Alexi Lalas, “Players – Do Not Bore Me” vain, I imagine that the Goateed One can introduce the teenager to some Disney Channel actresses to get him into the Gossip Columns). Calls Minnesota home - he could go CLM or CHI to be closer to home as sometimes happens with Superdraft (not Weighted Lottery) teenage players.
    17. COL [RSL] – Edson Elcock – F – Old Dominion: Adds some up-top speed missing since the days of Jeff Cunningham.
    18. COL [LA] – Sinisa Ubiparipovic – M – Akron: Seems to be a love him or hate him type of player but Rapids could use some midfield playmaking depth.
    19. NY - Corey Ashe – M – North Carolina: The Bruce stays in the US Youth player pool to grab some LM help with Henderson retired.
    20. LA [CHIV] – Dane Richards – F/M – Clemson: Whether it is on the flanks or up top, Richards gives Gals some speed options if/when Cornell Glen is injured.
    21. CHI - Aaron Holbein – D – Wisconsin: Fire is long in tooth in the backline with Sanneh, Brown, and Jim Curtin – need to continue youth injection there.
    22. DAL – Scott Jones – M – NC Greensboro: Texas native returns home to give Hoops another offensive option in the midfield.
    23. LA [COL] – Ryan Guy – M – San Diego: Slashing winger’s stock rose big time during Combine – Gals need help on the flanks (at least until Beckham arrives).
    24. DC – Randy Patterson – F – NC Greensboro: Mediocre combine and subsequent falling in draft ranking beckons back to Jacob Peterson and Abe Thompson’s draft day slides. DCU needs attacking depth with Esky, Adu, Dyachenko, Nickell, Ssejjemba and Metcalf gone. Although Patterson’s speed could make him comparable to Jamil Walker, DCU never seems to go for the big target strikers.
    25. NE – Nate Norman – M – Notre Dame: Left side of Revs midfield filled with defenders (Franchino) and forwards (Khano Smith) – time to add an actual middie to the mix.
    26. HOU – Josh Tudela – M – Indiana: With Serioux gone, Dynamo lacking much at DM behind Clark.

3rd Round
    27. TOR – Jeff Gonsalves – F – Rhode Island: Not sure that he will last this long but he will count as a Youth International for all other MLS teams so that may drop him a bit – TFC may need to make a trade up if they really want him. With Buddle near Molson and Labatts breweries and Esky’s injury track record, TFC needs plenty of striker depth. Missed the Combine due to mono.
    28. DAL [CLM] – Jerson Monteiro – F – Alabama Brimingham: Big body forward to perhaps take Mina’s role with the Hoops.
    29. KC - Tommy Krizanovic – F – Jacksonville: Need to add another forward to the mix with Wolff gone and KC likes those Eastern Europeans.
    30. RSL – Steven Curfman – D/M - Wake Forest: Ellinger likes those US Youth players and Curfman provides him with a RB option other than Novak.
    31. LA – Bobby Burling – D – Loyola Marymount: After drafting Veris last year, Gals draft another big CB although he was non-Combine.
    32. DC [COL] – Wells Thompson – M – Wake Forest: DCU continues its ACC lovefest in trying to replace Dyachenko at AM.
    33. NY – Adam Cristman – F – Virginia: The Red Bulls UVA coaching staff going “back to school” on this pick.
    34. CHI – Tonci Skroce – F – Illinois-Chicago: With Jaqua departed, the non-Combine Croat adds some size up front to the Little People (Rolfe, Herron).
    35. DAL – Justin Douglass – D – Missouri State: Another LB to go in the carousel of Gbandi, Wagenfuhr and Wagner.
    36. COL – Chris Konopka – G – Providence: Whether it is Injury Prone Jordan or Bouna Time in the nets, Rapids still need another goalie in the mix.
    37. DC - John Michael Hayden – M – Indiana: DCU did not have much luck drafting its last flank mid in the draft from Midwest…paging Nick Van Sicklen.
    38. NE – Jarrod Smith – F – West Virginia: Already have one NZ Kiwi (Lochhead) on the team. Gives Revs some size up front despite undistinguished Combine.
    39. HOU - Simon Omekanda – F/M – Penn State: Smallish Morocco-born US citizen adds depth on flanks and up top.

4th Round
    40. TOR – Riley O’Neill – F – Kentucky: Another Canuck striker who missed the Combine due to "illness" – was Mo trying to be sneaky and tell him to skip it to avoid the other teams’ scouts?
    41. CLM – Brad Evans – F – Cal-Irvine: Rejoins Siggy for whom he played at the Under 20 World Cup in the land of Heineken and Hookers in 2005.
    42. KC – Eric Ebert – M – California: Zavagnin cover – could be in the Wiz’s Matt McKeon big DM mold.
    43. DAL [RSL] – Chase Wileman – M – SMU: LM mighty mite – with McCarty and the right side, the pair could be the Oompa Loompas of MLS Reserve games in 2007.
    44. LA – Kiel McClung – D – UCLA: Gals stay local with non-Combine player for outside back depth.
    45. NY – Phil Marfuggi – G – Clemson: The Bruce dips into US Youth pool to add a youngster to go with Wattereus and Conway.
    46. CHIV – Gerardo Alvarez – M/F – Northwestern: Goats always looking to add Latino flair.
    47. CHI – Kyle Helton – D – Duke: LB cover for Segares – DCU could have interest in Helton to please new Blue Devil team owners.
    48. DAL – A.J. Godbolt – M – Maryland: Non-Combine flank middie continues Hoop’s trend for drafting Terps (Dello Russo, Thompson, Goodson).
    49. COL – Frederico Moojen – F – Clemson: Clavijo likes his long-haired South American strikers (Niko, Thiago….now Frederico).
    50. DC – Nick Noble – G – West Virginia: Nolly looking at Europe – DCU needs GK cover other than McIntosh. Had success with last WVU pick (McTavish).
    51. NE – Andrew Daniels – D – Brown: Get an Ivy League education to earn a $11,700 MLS Developmental contract??? Yikes.
    52. HOU – Ty Harden – D – Washington: SJ/HOU has history of drafting Huskies – more CB cover for Robinson/Cochrane/Waibel.

11. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice mock draft. I do believe this is incorrect however. Omekanda is a Belgian citizen.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can speak for others draft lists but i didnt include him only because of his potential move to europe, he is on trial again at i think a german club.

If he signs MLS, then he is likely a first rounder.

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was my thinking too. Either he goes high or he goes to Europe, and it was hard to put him as one of the top picks.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    That seems to be the "word on the street."

15. SoccaSocca

SoccaSocca New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    1.Toronto- Chris Seitz
    2.Columbus-Maurice Edu
    3Kansas City-Bryan Arguez
    4RSL-Bakary Soumare
    5LA-Greg Dalby
    6Colorado-Michael Harrington
    7chivas-Robbie Findley
    8chicago-Anthony Wallace
    9dallas-Jay Needham
    10LA-Mike Sambursky
    11DC-Amaechi Igwe
    12NE-Nico Colaluca
    13Houston-Jon Cunliffe

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  18. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I relly like him he's just below Igwe....

oh ********.

Where the hell is Solle? DAMN IT!!! AARGGHGHGHGHGHGG.

See I told you that writer was a clown.

Solle was suppsoed to be in there right there between Igwe and Needham. *shakes he in disgust* wonderful, just ********ing wonderful.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admit it, you're just a shill for FC Dallas, intentionally omitting good players from your review in the hopes that no one else notices them so that your beloved team can snatch them in the draft. That's just so devious......

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

who me?

I'm shocked! SHOCKED I SAY! that you would disparage my pristine reputation with such a scandalous charge. I demand satisfaction.

water guns at 20 paces. midnight in the school yard.

21. West Coaster

West Coaster New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    So Cal
    Word out of the Galaxy camp is that they will be going only for players that are exciting aka not boring. This is a last ditch effort to increase the size of the Galaxians fan club, as not as many that attended the games at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena have followed the team down to the Home Depot Center. As a fall back, players with goatees will also be considered.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red head's preferred.

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TOR--Maurice Edu
    CLB--Michael Harrington
    KCW--Chris Seitz
    RSL--Greg Dalby
    LAG--Bakary Soumare
    COL--Jay Needham
    CHV--Bryan Arguez
    CHI--Dane Richards
    DAL--Anthony Wallace
    LAG--Robbie Findley
    DCU--Amaechi Igwe
    NER--Nico Colaluca
    HOU--John Cunliffe

24. West Coaster

West Coaster New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    So Cal
    I can see Seitz going to Toronto, KC or Colorado in the 1st 6 picks, but not Columbus. I don't know if Sigi would want to add a 6th or 7th GK to the roster and if I'm a GK I wouldn't want to be added to the stable there, but then again I can't see them keeping all of them through next year.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well, might as well take a stab at things:

TOR: Maurice Edu
    CLB: Robbie Findley
    KCW: Anthony Wallace
    RSL: Michael Harrington