Latest News/Pics from USMNT Camp

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FC Uptown, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Wanted to start a thread on any daily news, rumors, pics coming out of the USMNT Camp in California.

USSoccer has only this story so far:

"Bradley Era Kicks Off in Carson as U.S. MNT Opens Training Camp

CARSON, Calif. (January 3, 2007) — For the first time in just over eight years, a new manager will gather members of the U.S. Men’s National Team on the training field as they collectively embark on the four-year journey which culminates in South Africa in the summer of 2010. While the date might seem many moons away, new U.S. head coach Bob Bradley believes that success will be built every single day...."

More here:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281587.html

2. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the session open to the public, or closed sessions? Besides USSF reporting on itself, and whatever we see from the usual outlets, anyone else plan on reporting from this camp? I'm anxious to see how Bradely/Nowak run the camp as anything else, eg, what are the changes, if any, from the Arena era.

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are "closed sessions" on a field that great viewing angles are open to the public.

There should be 2 a day practices (morning and evening) with scrimmages on weekends.

james

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Andrea Canales is covering the camp, apparently. See her daily 'blog' at

http://sidelineviews.blogspot.com/2007/01/looking-on.html

"US Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati was on hand during the first day of the Bob Bradley era, watching from the sidelines.

Here he looks over the notes of Ralph Perez, former Galaxy assistant coach who now works in running coaching programs for U.S. Soccer as well as coaching Redlands University." {Photo}

Question 1: Who can tell us more about Ralph Perez?

The blog links to Canales' full Day 1 report:

http://www.lasoccernews.com/article.php?article_id=865

"Unlike some of the celebrations for the new year, no fireworks were set off to mark Bob Bradley's start with the U.S. national team.

However, a number of people turned out to observe on the sidelines. A contingent of coaches in town for license testing watched as players engaged in a light scrimmage. A number of media were on hand to cover Bradley's first training. U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati looked on from a corner of the training field."

"A few players noted that under Bradley, things would not stay the same.

"I think it's going to be a little different camp," said Joe Cannon, the new Galaxy goalkeeper. "I spent a lot of camps with Bruce. I think change is good."

Though Cannon was voted MLS Goalkeeper of the Year, he often seemed to have trouble catching the attention of former coach Bruce Arena.

"I''m excited," Cannon admitted. "For me, it's a chance to make an impression with a new coach. For me, that's important. With Bruce, for whatever the reason, it was difficult to break in. Here with Bob, I'm just going to make it my job to make a good first impression and then go from there."

Question 2: Who is Joe Cannon's agent?

"One of the players from Bradley's former team, Jonathan Bornstien, was especially pleased.

"I'm looking forward to the rest of the camp," said Bornstein. "Bob's the same guy, just in a different uniform. He's got a little more responsibility, because it's the national team, but I think he's going to do great things here, like he did with Chivas."

Question 3: What do you think Bornstein means by "great things" in the USMNT context?

5. LORDEYE

LORDEYE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 22, 2006
    Q1: Answer, Not I
    Q2: Answer, Dunno
    Q3: Answer, Great Things, for Bornstein, begins with Bornstein taking Landon's place as "Guaranteed Starter for Life". ;)

6. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Q1: Ralph is an excellent coach with a long background in the game.

Here is part of his bio:

Perez brings an incredible amount of soccer knowledge due to more than 30 years of coaching experience. He joins the Bulldogs after serving as the Men’s National Staff Coach for the West Region of the U.S. Soccer Federation since 2005. Beginning in 1978, Perez worked as U.S. National Staff Coach, helping the U.S. Team qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 40 years in 1990. He also led the 1989 World Cup under-20 team to a fourth-place finish, boasting the best results for that team in program history. From 1996 through 2003, he worked as an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Galaxy and New York-New Jersey Metrostars, prior to serving as the Director of Coaching and Youth Development from 2003-2005. On the collegiate side, Perez enjoyed head coaching stints at Division I Old Dominion University (VA), Santa Clara University and Cal State Fullerton, along with Division II Cal State San Bernardino (women’s) and Cal State Los Angeles. Finally, Perez began his coaching career at the Division III level in 1974, heading up the men’s program at Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) member, Whittier College. While at ODU, Perez led the Monarchs to their first and only Colonial Athletic Association Championship in 1991. He garnered South Atlantic Region Coach of the Year honors following that accomplishment. Perez helped establish the CSU San Bernardino women’s soccer program in 1988 by serving as the team’s first coach. During his stint at Santa Clara, Perez was named Far West Coach of the Year in 1983.
    A member of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) and the United States Soccer Coaches Organization (USSCO), Perez still remains affiliated with U.S. Soccer as a national staff coach and Olympic Development Program (ODP) coach.

Q2 Ron Waxman

Q3 don't know.

7. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Perez is a pos

8. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    "UNDER WAY: The Bob Bradley era for the U.S. Men’s National Team got underway on Thursday morning as the team took the field for their first training session of 2007. Under overcast skies, 27 players participated in the first official session lasting 92 minutes, with several TV cameras and reporters there to capture the first moments of the 2010 World Cup cycle. The team returned to the field in the afternoon, with double sessions scheduled through the weekend......" more

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281590.html

9. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Studio 90 puts together some good videos for this camp. They usually provide very meaningful highlights and this is one camp that Im sure everyone is waiting to see.

10. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    From Cnnsi.com
    "First impressions
    U.S. team gets initial taste of Bradley at camp opening
    Posted: Friday January 5, 2007 12:15AM; Updated: Friday January 5, 2007 12:15AM

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Twenty minutes after the U.S. soccer team finished its first scrimmage under new coach Bob Bradley, Pablo Mastroeni was still sweating profusely.

"That was a good first session, something that's going to set the tone early," the 30-year-old Colorado Rapids midfielder said Thursday. "It was a very intense session, and I guess that's the way it's going to be."

After the United States failed to make it out of the first round of last summer's World Cup, the Americans are off to a fresh start..."

More:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/01/05/camp.opening.ap/index.html

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my really good friends on my soccer team is the son of Ralph Perez .

im serious

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like, totally serious!?!?!

;)

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Like for sure.

14. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Cool story Hansel...

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I don't recognize the players in this pic. Could someone ID them?

[​IMG]

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Michael Parkhurst to the left of Bradley.

19. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    If someone can name the guy bent over I will be very impressed...and more than a little disturbed. :p

20. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Mullan to the left of Parkhurst. I can't tell who's head is sticking out behind Bradley -- it's a Clint Dempsey haircut, but probably not connected to the player.

21. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    The shaved head behind Bradley is an assistant. Trainer I think.

22. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    And of course Bradley is espousing his key strategy:

"You guys gotta grow some of these!"

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    As posted in the other thread in USA Men:

It's Hardworkin' Bob, the hardest workin' hard worker in the hard work business, who went to Princeton and through hard work received a hardworkin' degree, undoubtedly in Hard Work Studies.

Listen, I'm glad the man is dutiful and puts in a lot of effort. But I don't want to hear that we have a hardworking coach. I want to hear that our coach is a brilliant tactician. I don't want to hear that he obviously works hard. I want to hear that he makes it look easy.

24. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think its their trainer, Jim Ashimoto (sp?).

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, that is Jim Hashimoto, the head athletic trainer/physical therapist for the USMNT.

if anyone is interested, here is more info on him:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562137129
    ------
    Hashimoto has been with the team since 1995
    ------