Hartman to KC *OFFICIAL*

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Merlin172, Dec 13, 2006.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Hartman to KC

Oh dear....

But yeah I should have added to my original post, the kinds of goals Hartman tends to allow hurt more then getting beaten by an amazing shot. They are demoralzing, and hurt the trust and confidence your defense has in you, which leads to reckless challenges (which Tyrone, and Ugo are both guilty of).

2. ashaman112

ashaman112 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Moreno Valley, CA

A few new details...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=396262&cc=5901

3. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope that means they overpayed for him, cause if Gato is going to go :( then we better get something good for him.

Hilarity if we hold 3 1st round picks. :D

4. ashaman112

ashaman112 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Moreno Valley, CA

Quote from Lalas about the trade...

http://lasoccernews.com/teams/galaxy2.php?article_id=806

5. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles

Baloney? Come on. Get off the Hartman bandwagon. He was great. His time is over. He was doing more harm than good. Let him go.

And I'm not putting the whole thing on his shoulders, I'm just saying that besides his many mental lapses on the field this season, he definitely contributed to our losing season by being out of shape and slow. Time and again, last season, I saw him make major mistakes in very important situations. But it's not just all about last seaon. He's been slowing down considerably for the past few years. The point is, I'm glad to see some house-cleaning going on. I wish him the best, but I'm glad he's not on the team anymore.

Not that this is supposed to be a discussion about SS2 (and, quite frankly, I think the topic has been discussed to death). You'll get no argument from me about Sampson. He definitely should have been fired much sooner. The only thing that saved him was the (extremely) lucky win of The Double last year.

6. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA

Let me say that while I'm not happy Gato leaving, I think Cannon is an all around better keeper.

I don't think it's fair to say anyone is on the "Hartman Bandwagon", it's not like your talking to a child. The fact is that defense and goal keeping are not the main reason we didn't play up to our expectations this year (or the last few years).

7. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA

'ello all - Jeff from over at the Rapids board here. I guess it's still too early to rate this or the Cannon trade - as nobody seems to know what exactly was included in the Hartman trade. The way I read it - it says "including draft picks" which too me means draft picks plus something (or someone) else - of course I could just be reading too much into that. Probably the dreaded "player to be named later" - or a slot or something.
    Hey - look at it this way - at least you guys HAVE a keeper - I really didnt want Kevin coming out here - I'd rather take our chances on the youngins we have (my hair could use a bit more grey in it, looks distinguished ya know?) - and get an impact player someplace else - or let FC grab one from his travels to South & Central America - but I have a feeling we will not be stocking the fridge with any big names this year - I think they are going to let the novelty of a new stadium serve to put butts in the seats and see whow we do before going ter a big name. At least we can all assume that LA will be signing a "someone" - so you have that going for you - who knows - having all these draft picks may come in very handy for you - if you splurge on a big name - you may need some youngsters to fill out the roster without breaking the bank.
    Hopefully the details of the trade will get out soon - I'd kind of like to know exactly how everything related to losing Joe turns out.

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With its usual clarity, the web site says LAG has

"acquired a natural second round picks"

Who writes these things?

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to a diminished 2nd? Hmm, must be a music major.

11. RHSOCCER23

RHSOCCER23 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, it was about time LAG made it official on their website. But for trading Hartman 2nd round picks?

12. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do wonder sometimes about the moves Lalas makes. I personally think that out of the three major trades we've made this offseason, we've been ripped off on at least two of them. Cannon for two of the most promising young talents in MLS and we switch draft picks? We lose. Now this, Hartman for 2 second round picks (2007 and 2008)? We lose. Was he not worth at least a first and second round pick? Lastly, the Jaqua trade has the makings of a potential coup for us, however it can quickly turn sour if he shows us that he's not much better than Gordon. Hopefully playing with LD and coaching from Yallop will bring out his best a la Ching.

13. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Wow.

First we were thinking Kev would be traded to the Crew for their DP slot.
    Then we're thinking 'Lexi is trading for an allocation.
    Then it's 1st round picks.

2 2nd round picks? Hartman is worth 2 1st round picks. OK, settle for a 1st and 2nd, but to end up with two 2nd round picks just seems wrong.

Thanks, Kevin Hartman! The Galaxy HOF awaits your retirement from MLS.

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, what we think Kevin is worth is irrelevant. We weren't buying.

Who knows what Lalas was offered? And, after the Cannon deal, you KNOW we HAD to move Kevin, and so did every other GM in the league. On the other hand, if Lalas had moved Kevin earlier, Colorado would have had LAG by the proverbial short hairs.

Once Yallop decides that he wants Cannon in place of Hartman, LAG pretty much loses any bargaining leverage.

15. Snapshotgalaxian

Snapshotgalaxian New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Orange, CA
    I'm so upset by this trade. I knew it was coming during the end of the year I was getting some uneasy feelings about coaches' comments but for this trade its a travesty. Lalas says he's honoring Kevin with the trade???

Here's stuff I got from a KC e-mail.

""This is an important step in the direction of our club," Technical Director Peter Vermes said. "Kevin is a true winner and has been consistently ranked as one of the top goalkeepers in the United States for the past ten years.
    He has numerous league records, but the most important aspect is that he has won championships and knows what it takes for a team to get there. He will also be one of the fan favorites as he has a tremendous personality and is unbelievable in the community."

A 6-0, 185-pound goalkeeper, Hartman has appeared in 243 games, facing 1,226 shots-on-goal with 903 saves in 21,735 minutes between the pipes. A three-time MLS All-Star ('99, '03 and '04), Hartman boasts the second best all-time goals-against-average (GAA) of any goalkeeper in MLS with a 1.18 GAA. He is tied for the all-time record in career shutouts with 62 (with former Wizards goalkeeper Tony Meola). He also ranks number one in career wins.

A member of MLS' Best XI in 1999, his career record is 116 wins, 85 losses and 39 ties, all with the Galaxy. In 1999, he earned MLS Goalkeeper of the Year honors while registering a league-record 0.91 Goals-Against-Average GAA.

In the playoffs, Hartman owns a 21-13-4 (W-L-T) all-time record including a 1.20 GAA with 12 shutouts. In 39 playoff appearances, he has amassed 3,592 minutes with 137 saves, including backstopping the club in four MLS Cup finals ('99, 01, '02, and '05).

"To bring to Kansas City a player and person like Kevin is a big deal for the team, our fans and the city," Head Coach Curt Onalfo said. "One of our first priorities was to improve our goalkeeping situation and we did that today. You can never have too many players like him on the roster; somebody who excels on the field, is competitive with a team-first attitude and always strives to work harder and be better. I had the chance to work him while with the U.S. National Team and got an up close look at his ability and got to know him personally."

In 25 career regular season games versus Kansas City, Hartman was 12-9-4 with seven shutouts and a 1.18 GAA. He joined the Galaxy as a 1997 third round SuperDraft pick out of UCLA.

Hartman has five caps (appearances) with the U.S. National Team, including two in 2006: a 5-0 shutout versus Norway and a 3-2 win over Japan.

"This is an exciting day and I am anxious to get to Kansas City," Hartman said. "There are a lot of quality guys there (in KC) and I know there will be a change in mentality to be like it used to be. The ownership group, coach, and Peter Vermes have secured a spot in Kansas City and are on the direct path back to winning championships. At the end of the day I want to continue to prove myself, but my real objective is to help the Wizards achieve all of their goals. We already have some great defenders, but even being a goalkeeper I like to see the team play in an attacking manner. My job will be to organize and balance things out in the back, but the bulk of my job will be to help the team win games."

KEVIN HARTMAN
    Position: Goalkeeper
    MLS Clubs: Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) 1997-2006; Kansas City Wizards (2006-) Height - 6'1" (1.86 m) Weight - 183 (86 kg) Born - May 25, 1974, Athens, Ohio College - UCLA

National Team Highlights:
    2006 - Made two appearances for the U.S. national team, earning his fourth and fifth cap.
    2005 - Came off the bench for one game, maintaining a clean sheet for Joe Cannon in a 1-0 win against Honduras on March 19.
    2004 - Called into camp in January, played the second half of game against Haiti on March 13.
    2003 - Was called in for training camps in Bradenton, Fla. in January
    2001 - Was called into the year's first U.S. national team training camp in Claremont, Calif.
    2000 - Made his first appearance for the national side on September 8, 2000 in a match against Jamaica that ended in a 2-2 draw. Hartman allowed one goal in a 45-minute performance.

Caps: 5 International shutouts: 1

MLS Professional Highlights:
    2006 - Finished 4th in the league with a 1.14 GAA. Garnered nine shutouts and posted a 10-12-6 overall record.
    2005 - Backstopped a L.A. Galaxy side that won its second MLS Cup title ...
    Earned a shutout in the 1-0 victory over the New England Revolution in the MLS Cup Final ... Started 31 of the Galaxy's 32 regular season matches and posted a 13-13-5 record with six shutouts.
    2004 - Appeared in and started all 30 of the Galaxy's matches, playing 2655 of a possible 2700 minutes. Named the club's Most Valuable Player for the second consecutive season. Enjoyed a six game unbeaten streak from 6/27-7/24, going 3-0-3 during that span. His ten saves in 4-2 win @ D.C. on
    5/19 were a season-high.
    2003 - Signed multi-year deal with MLS
    2002 - Started the 2002 MLS Cup as the Galaxy won for the first time.
    2002 - Appeared in 18 games - all starts - posting a 11-6-1 record
    2001 - Helped the Galaxy to the championships of the CONCACAF Champions Cup and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
    2000 - Was named to his first MLS All-Star squad after beginning the 2000 campaign with a 10-game undefeated streak.
    2000 - Became the first goalkeeper in MLS history to record back-to-back seasons with a goals-against average of a goal or less per game.
    1999 - Became the first goalkeeper in MLS history to record back-to-back 20 win seasons.
    1999 - Was named MLS Pepsi Goalkeeper of the Year and voted to MLS AT&T Best XI.
    1998 - Led MLS with a record 22 games won, starting 28 of 29 matches for the Galaxy.
    1997 - Was taken by Los Angeles in the third round (29th overall) of the MLS SuperDraft.

MLS Records:
    Regular Season
    Shutouts - Tied for 1st with 62
    Saves - 3rd with 903
    Goals Against Average - 2nd with 1.18
    Wins - 1st with 116

Post-season
    Games - Tied for 2nd with 39
    Minutes - 2nd with 3,592
    Saves - 1st with 137
    Shutouts - 2nd with 12
    Wins - 1st with 21

College: Played his junior and senior season with the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1994-96. As a senior was 13-4 with seven shutouts. He spent his freshman and sophomore year at Cal State Dominguez Hills and received all-confernece honors as a freshman.

Personal: Nicknamed "El Gato" for his feline response and reflexes. He is married to wife Jennifer, a graphic designer, and they have a daughter who was born in November 2006 named Chloe Madison Hartman. Wrote a children's book in 1999 titled "Boots Saves the Day", illustrated by his wife. It is about an ambitious farm kitten who proves that anything is possible. :p

(I'd been asking the FO about his wife's pregnancy but no one knew when the baby was born. So how do I get my gift to his daughter to him?)

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why 2nd round draft picks

17. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,oooohh,ooooh. How's that for a sharp stick in the eye? Way to go Lexi!

18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree. Whether this turns out to be good or bad, the blame (or credit) goes to Yallop and not Lalas. Trying to switch around top-level keepers is going to be costly just because it's such a small market. Once Yallop says that he is going to get rid of Hartman and he wants Cannon, Lallas doesn't have a lot of choices.

19. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard through a team source that this is weirder than we even think. Apparently Cannon demanded a trade from Colorado, and would only go to LA. (Didn't Alexi do that, too?)

In other words the Galaxy FO was told by MLS to make the first part of the deal. Hopefully they have something to make it up to us with, because it looks pretty dumb from out here.

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, its going to take more than this to sell me on the concept that LAG "took one for the team" here. Yallop has a history with Cannon and has every reason to want to build his own team, starting from the back. If this were in fact a league-engineered trade, the price would not have been so steep.

21. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Lalas is the GM, the blame is mostly on him. It's his job to look out for the franchise. There are two trades here: 1. Hartman leaves and 2. Galaxy acquire Cannon. We really didn't get a good deal on either. If Yallop said, "I need Hartman to go and I want Joe Cannon", it is Lalas's job to say, "I can try, but I'm not going to guarantee anything" OR "that'd be nice, but the asking price is too high." OR "You're going to have to take the chance that we trade away Kevin and have to make due without Cannon" OR maybe he could have said "that'd be nice, but No. Hartman's given too much to the Galaxy and he's still playing at a fairly high level. Win with him, or I'll get a manager who can."

22. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or he says, you have a proven track record of success with a lot less resources then we currently have, so let me know what you want, and what you can do without, and we'll give it a go, and see where we end up.

23. lagk22

lagk22 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Hey guys,
    I wanted to take a small moment and say "Thanks" to all of the supporters of the Los Angeles Galaxy. The last ten years have been extraordinary in a lot of ways for me personally. The championships that we were able to win, coupled with the opportunity to stay in my hometown were great. They were moments that I will never forget. The fans of Los Angeles have always been very knowledgable, a quality that has never been lost on the players. When we were pulling off our last minute heroics and the air was filled with applause we relished it. When the Home Depot Center was filled with boos we knew exactly why. Thanks for that, and I look forward to seeing it from a new perspective now. But to be honest, many of you have become friends and I'd like to reiterate my appreciation to all of you. Obviously, the Galaxians history and passion, along with the Riot Squads exuberance and passion were things I looked forward to; however, all of the fans made my time with the Galaxy wonderful. I wish all of you well during this holiday season and will see you all again. All the best, Kevin Hartman

24. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck Gato, you will be missed.

This sucks.:eek:

25. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Anytime my three year old son sees a goalkeeper playing on the tv he says, "Hartman!". And when he plays soccer in the backyard he always says, "I'm Hartman!" before or after diving for a ball or punting it a mighty ten feet. He hasn't figured out that there are other goalies besides KH, 90% of the time at the HDC and on the TV it was Kevin between the pipes, and he even met Kevin at the fan appreciation rally this year; there was really no reason to correct him at age 3 when sometimes it wasn't Kevin - because for him there are no other goalies - just Kevin. I think it's the same for a lot of us really. It's going to be a hard year, without you, Kevin. Best of luck in Kansas City. We're going to miss seeing you between the pipes. You're a good guy and a great goalie.