Exclusive Supporters Event :: Monday December 4th at 6pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rapids Front Office, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Actually, from the first post in this thread

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in the Class VI section for the opening match.

3. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having not met the criteria to attend this event, I felt it wasn't my place to say anything...but this behavior is just silly.

Confidential information??? Please..you are not the CIA or NSA. As to putting the "Supporters" to a test to find out who will talk and who will not... that is a very disenginious action to take. People are going to talk if they know something others do not. It is human nature...please don't hang this over people's heads by saying "you have to keep this a secret, now, or we won't give you any more wonderful tidbits". Since the supporters support you, you need to support them right back...don't play games with them. It would be insulting to me if I had been able to go to the event last night and then seen this from the FO first thing in the morning.

*Note...this is my opinion only and should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt.

4. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to agree. It seems to be pretty juvenile to play the "test" game. If you don't want something leaked out, then don't tell people. Don't have an event and show the new logo and uniforms and then say keep it a secret. I would have thought that they would have done the event as a public event with the media, that way they could have new jersey sales be influenced by Christmas sales. I know that I would have the new jersey as the number 1 item on my Christmas list.

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I'll tell you one thing I noticed - they had a DVD running on continuous with players modeling the big secret ;) and two players that were doing it were Terry Cooke and Aitor Karanka - so happily I'm going to jump to the big conclusion that both intend to be back next year!!!

6. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The message is...

If you feel left out, be a season ticket holder, join a group that gives some very good benefits to season ticket holders, and show up to the events when you're invited.

If you'd rather not be a season ticket holder or join a group, then don't begrudge the gesture the Rapids make to those who have done these things.

It seems to me that last nights event, which I -now- regretfully missed, is exactly the type of thing people have been whining for for years. We want the FO to embrace the hardcore fans, and promote the development of supporters groups. Isn't that exactly what they just did?

BTW, what good is having the Rapids provide some secrets if the knowers can't enjoy being on the inside for a while? Maybe it's childish, but so is complaining about it.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. Even if they're telling people to keep their mouths shut, hey, as American Express used to say "Membership has its privileges." Exclusivity drives demand.

I take this first effort as a sign that the FO is going to hit the ground running with the new stadium. If so, bravo. We've been waiting. Let's make this team what it deserves to be, a winner from the front office to the field onward to the MLS Cup.

8. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege

that to me was the overriding message of the night. That the supporters need to grow as a group, and that future supporters who buy into section 114 will enjoy all kinds of things that regular season ticket holders wont.

They did also mention that this "exclusive" event was the first of many to come, for Front Range members only.

9. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree as well even though I was complaining too. I am just bitter that it was scheduled at such a difficult time.

[sourgrapes on][/B]A weekday @ 6pm downtown is just impossible for me and likely others. I've spent nearly $1K/year on tickets for at least the past 4 years but am left out of the loop because I had to work.[/sourgrapes off][/B]

Someone help me out are the new jerseys what we have seen?

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
  11. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    So just because you buy seats in section 114 you get this crap. What about for those of us that are more mature and buy season tickets in the midfield section? Why is the FO alienating us?

12. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a cruel tease....

Possibilities...
    Uniforms?
    MFL competition?
    DP?
    St. Louis?
    Coach changes?
    US Coach?
    Beckham?

Right now I'm feeling like I won't be missing any more of these.

13. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    QUOTE=Bilbo So just because you buy seats in section 114 you get this crap. What about for those of us that are more mature =QUOTE

Not to start another ranting thread of us vs them (which is silly)
    but... c'mon!!!!!!! More mature?

stop.

14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious? Don't even begin to talk about "alienation." As I recall from nearly six months ago, the FO seriously considered pulling the plug on the 127 people completely. You have absolutely no idea. And as for "maturity," I take offence to that. I've probably done more to support this club than you have.

On another note, I can't believe some of you are actually complaining about this. You all would have killed for this kind of insider interaction 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't attend due to my location and the proximity to finals week, but if I were in the Denver area, you could bet your money I would've been there.

15. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    While I like the colors of the new uniform I think anyone wearing the colors out in public will be seen as an Avalanche fan by those who are not familiar with the Rapids. I would have prefered colors that were our own distinctive colors rather than one shared by one of the other teams in the Kroenke stable. Yes, I know the blue is lighter but many of the general public wont notice that. I am not an Avalanche fan but when I saw the Rapids colors I immediately thought of the Avalance!!
    The Front Range Supporters group that F.O. is pushing is just a great marketing ploy to sell tickets,IMHO. You have to get 10 people to buy season tickets to get to level 1 and as someone mentioned, you have to get 75 people to buy season tickets to get the top prize (I wont say what it is, in case it is a secret!!). I am sorry but $325 to join the Front Range group is way out of our budget in this household so we were not impressed with all the hype at the meeting. The opinion of the four in our group that went was that we would not have missed anything if we had stayed home, especially dinner!! Potato chips, goldfish crackers, pretzels are no substitute for dinner when you dont get home until 8:30 p.m.
    Once the Rapids owns the supporters groups they can dictate all the rules. You no longer are a separate entity that can negotiate with the RAPIDS for special dispensation.
    Sorry if this appears ungrateful but this is our opinion and thought I would give it for others to realize not everyone was ecstatic over the meeting!!

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the thing though, while the C-Firm will sit (haha) in The Front Range, they will still be a separate entity. That section is just for like-minded people that aren't necessarily affiliated with anybody.

17. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The Rapids can dictate the rules now regardless. The team now owns the stadium and can therefore make the rules. I hate that I didn't get to attend, but it sounds like the team is bringing the fans in and making them part of the process instead of just saying here is how its going to be. But I guess you can never please all of the people....:rolleyes:

18. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    RABIDRATZ...agree about new kit colors.

While I love the colors (ahem,westham,ahem,cough cough GO IRONS )they

are too similar to Avalanche and that is exactly what people will think.

Average Denver dude and dudette don't even know there is professional

soccer here in Denver,more with the home kit because of the base color

but at least that one says "RAPIDS" and the away says "COLORADO"

...Also I like the shield,but don't love it....to mechanical looking....too

sharp and perfect. I'd prefer softer lines. my 2 cents anyway.

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Simply quoting the Rapids' (arguably confusing and/or misleading) announcement doesn't answer Smudgey's question. Nor does it address why this was only published on BigSoccer. Nor does it explain why a number of people who didn't "qualify" were nonetheless able to attend last night's event.

But hey, today the Rapids pat themselves on the back for their "invite-only event" where "only existing supporters club members" could attend.

Look, I'm happy that steps are being taken in the right direction. But as a dedicated supporter -- one who's been a season ticket holder every season the Rapids have existed, one who's a current member of Class Vi and former member of other organizations -- I don't think I'm out of line in voicing my displeasure about how this event was handled.

For a 6pm weeknight event during the holiday season, 7 days' notice (which is all you got unless you were visiting this site) made attendance very difficult.

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    And to add one thing to what greenie stated, you would think that they'd at least try to post news about an invite-only supporters event on their main webpage. In the very least it's could get a few people interested enough to sign up for season tickets with the supporters groups just based on the intrigue of an "exclusive event."

Baby steps, I suppose.

21. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/newsdetails.asp?ID=2189

The page linked above includes a long list of things you get with your $325 "membership."

It took me a little while to look over this page and find out where it actually mentions that you get what would normally be called a season ticket.

22. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you have to be a member of the "front range" to get all that shit?

23. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Hmmm, let's see...
    What a "supporter" is comes later in the quote:
    It answers his question perfectly. Of course, if someone is still confused
    No problem here.
    I agree.

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's assuming the photo really was emailed to the guy from a Rapids supporter at the event. I don't recall javier66 or anyone from Cali posting stuff about the Rapids before let alone mentioning a buddy in CO. Maybe it's from on of Logan's sources at KSE?