MLS Cup Post Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Nov 12, 2006.

1. transrapide

transrapide Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Bad decision to choose, Heaps. SN has to be questioned about that.

Why was Pepe still on the bench? I guess SN really doesn't like him.

That was our last shot at glory for a while, boys and girls. Very different team next year that will be in full rebuilding mode.

You have to say the team let this one down. After TNTs goal, they thought it was won. Lost concentration for a second, and that's the story. Professionals and champions cannot allow that to happen and they committed a major blunder which cost them the championship.

Hard to be excited about next year. Really down right now.:(

2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Twellman used to play in the German Bundesliga with TSV 1860 (now in the second division). He got let go because the coach back then thought Americans were worthless. Berhalter is now the captain of the team and his trying to rally a few Yanks to play for them again. Have not heard any other rumors about other teams looking at him though.

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an obnoxious question if I've ever heard one. Twellman may have been upset because he's moving on...rumors have sprung up in the past day or so over on the YA board that he could be headed overseas, possibly back to Germany.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Just got back from the game. Thought the Revs were going to take it....can't believe it ended the way it did.

Your fans did you proud tonight, they did a great job. Monty & the gang were loud in a stadium that was almost half Houston. Crushing to have it end like that.

5. hollistonrevsfan

Oct 13, 2002
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fukc its the MLS- the champion is a complete crapshoot anyway- neither of the last two winner's looked like a contender during the regular season. If we can do something to replace the guys we are gonna lose we'll still have some depth and if we keep Reis and Parkhurst we'll have as good a chance as anyone in the playoffs.

6. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    My one argument against those saying that Nicol avoided the bunkerball mentality of previous Cups is the selection to pull Dorman instead of Hernandez when Dempsey came on. In a typical situation, he would take out whichever of the central midfielders is most hobbled or having the worst game (clearly Hernandez on both counts) and shuffles, but to play it safe I think Nicol left Hernandez out there because we had enjoyed the upper hand in the middle all day (none of Daniel's doing) and he didn't want to jeopardize that by moving Dorman back and disrupting the chemistry. Maybe it's the right decision some days, though probably not, but either way it's a deviation from what we've observed in the past and can be directly attributed to a overly conservative Cup final mentality. Probably a small point, but I think the third substituion, balance of overtime, and penalty order could have been impacted if Dorman hadn't come out there.

7. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA
    Bad way to lose....

Thought you were the better team on the night. Looking forward to next years ECF with both our "rebuilding" teams.

Note to SN.....Dempsey > Heaps for PKs.

8. Heartofmid

Heartofmid Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Acushnet
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs & Hearts.

I'm figuring this is the closest I'll get to a championship until I die.

Damn it.

9. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, I think Heaps may have asked for it to make up for the Ching goal.

I can't really think of any other reason. When they said Heaps was taking the last pk I was shocked and just knew what was about to happen.

10. brduvel

brduvel New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The Republik

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee this really felt like the 2003 ALCS when Red Sox fans had more than two feet in the World Series, just to be crushed by poor management. SN, what is up with Heaps instead of Dempsey/Smith/Anyone else? I can hear Greg Lalas cursing the selection right now.
    Having to walk back to campus in the rain after the loss on the ultra-quiet streets of Northfield, Vermont really made this all sting more. Our core is leaving and all we have is Khano (who played out his mind today), Reis and Parkhurst. The only positive about potentially waiting 86 years for a cup will be the longevity it would mean for the league and the club, not to mention we only have to wait 75 more. I blame this on Bob Kraft, for totally blaming SN and Heaps is poor form. Blame the crappy FO (sorry burns) for limiting the Fort and limiting their committment.
    Maybe we can hope that A) Toronto doesn't select anyone and B) we get Sam Adams as our jersey sponsor.

BTW, WE ALL LAUGH AT AN ORANGE FOOTBALL TEAM, AN ORANGE FOOTBALL TEAM, AN ORANGE FOOTBALL TEAM.

12. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    It's MLS. A .500 club can win it all. Don't forget next season there are two fewer games, so who knows what might happen.

Has anyone figured out if perhaps The Curse wasn't reversed in '04 but merely shifted to the other teams in the region?

13. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    What makes this especially painful is the better team today lost. The Revs really deserved it, but that's football (or soccer). It was a great match, worthy of a cup final and intense down to the end.

I also really enjoyed Arena and Waldo in the booth. They were great.

I feel bad because the Revs need to get one of this things, but what can you do? I really enjoy this team and what Steve Nicol has built....and it looks like we may have a little transitional period ahead, but the Revs will be back. Hopefully they picked up a few more fans today because they played with heart and passion....and you can't help but love that.

Great season guys......

(of course, I still can't fathom why Heaps of all people was taking that last PK.....) :(

14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Larentowicz wasn't a defensive substitution. Hernandez had run out of gas, it was a straight swap.

The Houston goal was a freak deflection, and you can't blame the coach for not preventing freak goals like that. If anything they gave up that goal because they weren't bunkering enough, Heaps was the only defender near Ching.

15. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    Every time we go we get a little closer to a win. Baby steps. We crushed the scoring jinks. Now to rid ourselves of the curse of Stapo.

A fun season. Now it's time to purchase tickets for next year and start again.

Parking lot 2. It's free.

P.S. The Riders and friends sounded loud and clear on the radio. It made my ride home from work very interesting. I have a whole new respect for Brad since I met him last week. Great job from the radio guys and most of the tv broadcasters. Some have a way to go yet. ;)

16. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Just be glad you don't have to travel home from Dallas.

?? I don't understand what you're talking about. Explain?

This is the most disappointing loss for the Revs ever. Blame whoever you want, it's just a sad day for Revs fans.

As a dedicated fan from year one, I was sure we were finally getting our due. After all, Houston hasn't been around that long. And the Quakes already had the opportunity. And we were so close. And the last shootout was so successful. You just never know how the season will end.

17. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    What the hell was SN thinking when he let Heaps take that pk?

what the ******** how can you play a whole season and work that hard two seasons in a row to get to the final and let Heaps take that big of a pk.

I don't care if he wanted to step up to make up for Ching's goal. The ********ing coach needs to step up and make decisions on what's going to win.

The more I think about it the more I hate SN.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I just wanna say , glory for a minute sucks. It hurts to see it all disappear so quickly. To my hometown man , Jay, sh*t happens to the best. Next year man , for sure.

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <Grady Little>Manager's Decision</Grady Little>

20. rickumali

rickumali Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all.

I am a Revs fan, from season one, although this is my first time on these boards. This loss was quite painful. The Revs really carried play after the 30th minute, and I thought that this would be our year. I don't want New England to be the Buffalo Bills of the MLS. I was heartened to read that Los Angeles lost three times in the MLS Cup before winning theirs. Maybe next time.

Congrats Dynamo! Go Revs!

21. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    This final didn't hold my interest much. It seemed like just another scoreless game that NE has played each time in the final.

I nominally wanted NE to win, not because I like them but just to deny the San Houston DynoEarthClashers yet another title. I like that DC has won more than anyone else, and I don't want that threatened.

It's ironic that NE scored in the 113 minute (that's the very minute they lost to LA at Foxborough). If not for the rule change, they would have carried the Cup off the field. But, they couldn't protect a lead for more than one minute 20 seconds. It's serves them right to lose. That final PK was one of the worst I've ever seen.

22. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Jimy Williams.

And thanks for that, forums user "bigdoug."

23. amacker88

amacker88 Member

Dec 15, 2005
    First I say we take New ENGLAND out of our name because i think theres some bad luck with the name England in the world of soccer.
    I don't think we should get rid of SN because if he keeps getting us back to the MLS cup and eventually we will win one.

24. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Ralston should have been in the top 5.

They don't just lose, they lose in the most painful way possible. All they had to do was hold on for 7 minutes. They held off Houston for 113... just 7 more! And you know they've heard it a million times, 'you're most vulnerable after you score a goal.'

Lots of players had good games - Reis, Twellman, Joseph, Ralston, Khano... They made me believe they would win, unlike the last 2 times. It makes it all the more painful, because I never considered the possibility of defeat.

All these painful losses are just going to make it all the more exhilarating when they finally do lift the cup, right?

Ralston should have been in the top 5. That thought just keeps running through my head.

25. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I think it is very likely Heaps was there because Dempsey (and Ralston) lacked the nerve. I think we will eventually hear more from Nicol about this.

I did not think either team played particularly well, and neither looked likely to score until fatigue created the opportunity.

Although the ball deflected to Ching, his finish was pure class, as was Twellman's goal.

I agree that pulling Dorman was a bad move, all season he was a major offensive source for us and his conditioning would have made a difference as other players tired. I think Ralston should have come off (or moved left) and Dorman moved right when Dempsey came in.

I think Parkhurst has a future overseas.

Matt Reis is the best goalie against penalties I have ever seen.

They may not play pretty soccer, but I am proud of the Revs and what they accomplished this year.