Landon's Reactions [r]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SNUSA, Jun 5, 2005.

1. SNUSA

SNUSA New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Norman, OK
    I realize this is frivolous, but...

What is up with Landon's goal celebration, where he runs, pretends to grab something out of the air and stuffs it in an imaginary pocket.

Is he grabbing the Golden Snitch? Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat? Is his sister blowing him kisses?

Again, not a big deal (notice how I didn't post in N&A), but what the heck is he doing?

2. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    He's probably collecting kisses that his girlfriend is blowing to him from the stands after he scores a goal.

Or

It could be that he is catching imaginary million dollar bills that Phil Knight is throwing to him as he leads the US deep into WC 2006.

3. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

good for him though, two goals..
    McBride could work on his celebration a little also..

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I disagree. McBride celebration is classy. KISS THE RING!!! I like the simplicity of it.

Donovan needs work. He's young and needs to do better. Snort the line LD!! Make Fowler proud!

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Snorting the line would be a classy celebration! As would simulating fellatio on a teammate à la the Primera Division.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, both players have very appropriate celebrations.

Simple, composed, controlled.

Done it, know how to do it, doing it again (and judging from their goal-scoring totals when playing for their country, they do it quite well).

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree with you babytiger. McBride's an old dude. No need to go all crazy. You've do it before and will do it again. I compare it to Emmitt Smith when he was with the Cowboys. When he scored a touchdown he just flipped the ball to the ump and congratulated his teammates.

Donovan's seems a little "childish" to me though. I hope he scores a lot more goals so we can analyze it more. I thought he was collecting the cheers of the fans. A little too, My Little Pony, for me. The fist pump I like though. Very Tiger Woods.

8. salange

salange Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Atlanta
    Great thread. I wanted to confirm my suspicion that Lanny-cakes was catching Bianca's kisses so I would know I was rolling my eyes at the right thing. I come here and find the right thread in the right forum with the right Golden Snitch joke. Well done.

Although, the more I think about it the less of a problem I've got with it. Much as I don't care if Landon wants to come home and play USL-D2 ball as long as he produces for the national team, he can celebrate goals by lifting his jersey to reveal a New Kids on the Block t-shirt as long as he plays like he did yesterday.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the same analogy I was thinking about when I was typing my post -- except I was envisioning Walter Payton in my mind's eye. :)

As for Landon's celebration, I don't think it's all that much of being a show-off at all. Much more controlled, compared to the days when he was allowed to take the shirt off after a goal.

Maybe Landon's mellowing with experience. ;)

10. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    McBride's ring-kissing is class. Always was, always will be.

11. midnightman

midnightman Member

Sep 15, 2004
    I believe he meant to say “hey! if there is an opportunity to put the ball in the net easily like that, I’ll grab it”. Remember he did this after scoring the 2nd goal in which he was simply at the right place & at the right time.

12. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    No, he was catching kisses from someone in the crowd and putting them in his pocket.

13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'll just go on record to say the snorting the line celebration is the all-time best goal scoring celebration that should be imitated whenever possible.

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think he was just showing the fans appreciation. It was a huge turnout; it was as though he was saving the memory for a rainy day. We seem to be scoring goal celebrations like figure skating programs.

15. BG001

BG001 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Considering the kind of celebrations we see in the NFL, I'm okay with the Landycakes version.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Is McFragile married yet? Here is how spouse-related celebrations work in soccer:

1. Player gets married - kisses ring.

2. Player's wife has kids - does the Bebeto "Rocking the Cradle" celebration.

3. Player gets a divorce as latent homosexual tendencies emerge - pretends to fellate teammate after goal.

Or something along those lines...

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh my God, I killed the thread.

18. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they all need to go The Terrell Owens Institute of Celebrations. Do something creative!

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I adhere to the Scrooge School when it comes to goal celebrations (probably because I'm a defender). McBride's is a favorite: simple, sincere, brief. I also like the guys that just turn and point to whoever set them up for the shot (as do Dean Smith's Tarheels in college basketball). Donovan's celebration was a bit syrupy but otherwise okay. Anything elaborate has me fantasizing about studs-up tackles to the crotch. Bah humbug.

20. GOOOOOLZ

GOOOOOLZ New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    here.
    it means the crowds were fantastic and he would keep them.

21. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man LD is so whipped.

22. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glazer's changing the name to "Man LD"?

!!!!!

23. CoachCoach

CoachCoach New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    USA
    yeah, we need some new celebrations. I see highlight shows and the celebrations are unimaginative, selfish, and usually just cheesy.

I swear I'm still laughing about the image of someone snorting the sideline after a goal. Maybe we'll leave that one for the amatuer adult leagues on Sunday. But still a great one.

I like the pointing to the guy who set you up. I can't tell you how many times I see a guy dribble through 4 guys, make a crazy dish to an open guy in front of the net. The open guy taps it in and then runs off to the opposite side of the field like he did something incredible. All the while leaving the guy who just made the play of his life to claim body parts underneath a heap of defenders. Canstanzzz it.

Anyhow. I'd like to hear some more ideas for celebrations.

24. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Great thread. Emmitt used to always take off his helmet and pose for the cameras after he scored and then the NFL enstated what folks call the "Emmitt Smith rule" to make that illegal. After that, he just started flipping the ball to the ref, probably because he couldn't think of anything else as creative. :D

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Best US goal celebration was Josh Wolff running in front of the Mexican fans and kissing the US badge on his shirt after scoring in a friendly in LA about 5 years ago (Donovan's first game with the US IIRC).