MLS 2002 GOTY: Vote For TnT's 6/22 Bicycle Kick

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Danizinho, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
  2. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd say it's a shame that pro-Twellman voting will be diluted, but really, it's silly to vote for a player (or team) and not a goal. Moreoever, Twellman scored at least two better goals than that one-- so even for pro-Revs voters, why is the bicycle kick "the one"? Because you decided?

Not I'd vote for a (non-existent) Metro goal anyhow, but I have to say, to this neutral, Ekelund has the best goal.

3. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    wow, i can't even remember 6/22's. i'd cleary shoot for the diving header beating n.r. near post v d.c....where he goes and tallies his own score.

4. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Who am I to demand you do anything? It's just a suggestion.

Vote for who you want.

Okay???

5. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Twellman's bycicle kick goal is also up for MLS play of the year, along with Kreis's header and a save by Rimando. Voting is somewhere on nick.com (I had to help my son with it).

Is it just me, or does it seem like better goals seem to be scored in Open Cup games?

6. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Since Twellman is getting screwed out of Rookie of the Year, I can see why you guys would want to pimp him for another award, and Twellman has a knack not only for scoring goals, but great goals. Still, Ekelund's goal is a stunner. One of the best in league history.

7. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Just my opinion, but Ekelund's goal is one of those "carnival" goals that really don't show much about the player or his game. Etch won on just such a goal a few years back (catching an injured goalkeep out of position from about 50 yards out). I haven't regained my respect for the award since.

If there were a goal superior to one of Twellman's it would be Ruiz'.

8. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    That it was a set piece, and not a fluke of some sort or a ridiculous blunder, makes me put Ekelund's goal a few classes above Etcheverry's.

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Again, just my opinion, but it was a trick shot that went in. Looked awesome, but I doubt you'll be seeing Ekelund doing it again real soon. Something tells me Twellmand and Ruiz will be doing more of the same next year.

There are plenty of guys who can hit baskets with some consistancy from half-court (with no one else on the court that is). You don't see NBA teams lining up to sign them.

10. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    No doubt Ekelund's goal was the best.

However, it would be nice to see one of Twellmans' get in the top 3, so I'm voting for TT since I suspect Ekelund will win easily regardless of my vote.

Still, I think the top TT goal is the one at DC... 'megs Prideux and finishes to the far post with the outside of the boot. Great piece of skill IMO.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought Taylors diving header against DC was his best. I voted for that one.

12. Chip

Chip New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Connecticut
    I think everyone missed the real impressive point. Taylor Twellman is the ONLY scorer represented by more than one goal in the choices. And he has THREE! Taylor has had a spectacular year (and that is an understatement). I can only hope that this is a preview of things to come and that they will come to fruition in New England (vice somewhere else). I am not opposed to players going overseas, but I am tired of watching our best and brightest leave our league in the dust.

13. Brock

Brock New Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Tewksbury, MA
    Exactly - my first thought when I saw the nominess was Xcellent Twellman with three goals... of course 4 seconds later I realized that all that does is make it impossible for TT to win. Thanx for nothing MLS.

14. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    I voted for the nutmeg goal. It was a great setup, a great receiving touch, a posterizing dribble, and a bomb of a shot. This was the only goal that demoralized the other team.