Austin Aztex Announce Roster For Inaugural U23 Season

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by duality72, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'd prefer SC or AC, but I don't care too much on such a minor detail.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you wondering where Willy Guadarrama is, you don't need to wonder anymore.

Looks like we may have an answer as to where the goalscoring is going to come from.

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. Both Kevin Klaus & Willy Guadarrama weren't on the announced roster. I'm assuming that both of them are late additions to the squad.

That can only help IMO. :)

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I wrote further upthread, the announced roster only had 20 players on it. The league roster limit is 26. With Kevin and Willy now apparently on the team, there's still room for 4 more.

College still hasn't let out, so I expect that they'll hold those places open for the college players that come home over the next few weeks.

Anyone know of any hot prospects in the ACC or elsewhere?

5. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine that they're going to add 1 in each position (1 goalkeeper, 1 defender, 1 midfielder & 1 forward).

Here's St. Edwards men's roster where Klaus plays:

http://www.stedwards.edu/athletic/soccer_men/roster.htm

And here's Willy's MLS bio:

http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/player...darrama_w&playerId=gua148317&statType=current

And Southwestern University men's roster:

http://southwesternpirates.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/swtx-m-soccer-mtt.html

6. ATEX_MEX

ATEX_MEX New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Austin
    Hell Yes We need some WillySpeed firepower
    he is amazing, shame KC Cut him. he never got a chance with the First team

Welcome Back to Austin Willy

7. Real_Madrid1006

Real_Madrid1006 New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    austin
    Personally, I'm not happy to see Willy, Zach or AJ back here. That just means that they aren't where I thought they would be right now. Hopefully they just hit some speed (no offense Willy) bumps and will get back on the right track. I would much rather see them playing at another level...then Austin will have arrived on the soccer scene.

Surprised none of them participated in the Dynamo trials .... maybe they can still get on...they are too good to play PDL.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well. If they're too good to play PDL, but not good enough for MLS, they seem perfect for the USL-1! :D

9. ATEX_MEX

ATEX_MEX New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Austin
    exactly my friend.. if he can score over 30 goals in his college time he will do even better in the PDL, also when the Aztex make the jump to USL-1 he will hopefully kick ass in the league. and attract attention from other MLS clubs other than KC. remember Austin bein the Expansion team in 2009 will most likely attract attention from MLS teams. I think Willy is in a win-win situation

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that there's going to be two more MLS teams in the next two years. Those players have to come from somewhere.

11. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Anyone know how his brother Sonny is doing in the Mexican league? I guess Willy might end up there as well.

12. ATEX_MEX

ATEX_MEX New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Austin
    Sonny is currently playing in Morelia
    he has only played 3 games this season. only 18 minutes total
    Willy was also there in Morelia with him. but never played in the 1st Team. Willy is now back home and kickin ass with the Aztex

13. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't seen it, the Aztex website has a little more info on the players. It's clearly still a work in progress (Willy Guardarrama isn't listed, some player details aren't included yet, etc.), but here's what's out so far.

http://www.austinaztex.com/u23/roster

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Chris!

So the "20" that was missing from the original press release is Ronnie Rocha.

The numbers do indeed indicate uniform numbers.

There's three more players that weren't on the original list displayed:

Cameron Turney
    Kevin Klaus
    Robin Martinez

Klaus was mentioned in the A&M friendly. As was Willy Speed:

Willy Guardarrama

That brings the total to 25. There's room for just one more player, unless someone gets dropped. If Super Hoops is right, it'd be a goalkeeper (the other new players I listed above are all wearing field uniforms).

15. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the Club Deportes Aztex site. Be sure to click through to the player links on the right-hand side of that page. No stats yet, but great player pictures.

[​IMG]

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some info on Jamie Watson, one of the two goalscorers Saturday night, and the guy that got bent out of shape just before halftime.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats pretty funny, considering back in Salt Lake, Jamie was always known as the big PR guy, he even did some play by play when he wasn't starting (which was often). His nickname was Sparky.

He is greatly missed by many young girls and RSL fans. ;)

[​IMG]

18. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is the same Jamie Watson that Buzz Carrick mentions on today's 3rd Degree practice report? He's trying out for FCD? I don't know how I feel about that. :confused:

19. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After this past weekend, I would say FCD needs to worry about the defense a little more than the attack. Although, not replacing Ruiz with anyone at all was pretty ridiculous.