Deportivo la Coruna [R]

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by DSC05, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I've decided to create a thread dedicated to Deportivo. I know there aren't a lot of us Depor fans, but I wanted a thread just for them. I'll try and keep it updated as best as I can, and I welcome anyone to post even if you hate Deportivo.

First piece of business, our Champions League draw has been made and we will play either Bohemians Dublin or Rosenborg Trondheim. These games will be on either Aug 12 or 13 and Aug 26 or 27. With Depor's first game being away and the return at the Riazor.

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    More on Makaay

The never-ending Makaay saga continues as Lendoiro states that Makaay is gone within 72 hours.

Also, Depor whips Sada 6-1 in the preseason as Mauro scores just his second goal in his 11 year Depor history.

3. depor10

depor10 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for starting a Depor thread. It's nice to see there more of us out there.

4. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Keep the thread going guys, I like Depor. Irureta sticks to my favorite formation(4-2-3-1= elegant attacking pattern, a lot of wing play). Valeron and Tristan are great fun to watch. What’s the latest on Makay? Is this turning out to be the most annoying transfer soap-opera of the summer or what?

5. depor10

depor10 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Things aren't looking good on the makay front. Anyone think Depor can make up for his scoring with Pandiani, Tristan, Luque or anyone else for that mater?

Riazor Blues

6. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I don’t think scoring will be a problem. Does Irureta plan to play Luque on the left wing? Fran is getting old. Was Amavisca sold ?

7. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree scoring won't be a problem, we have enough firepower even without Makaay. Whom may or may not still be in A Coruna for this year. I don't think Amavisca has been sold, but Makaay is getting all the news right now, so I'm not 100% sure.

In other news, how come we can't sign a player this year? Everyone we have targeted has joined other clubs.

8. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Has anyone considered the possibility, for example, that Madrid wouldn't want for Makaay to go to Bayern? Why shouldn't Madrid then give La Coruna some money (maybe 1-2 mil Euro, for example), to keep Makaay at Depor? I am in no way implying that this is happening--but from a strategic and business perspective, it would make a lot of sense. That's what I would be doing as a cunning business man--and I doubt no one else hasn't at least thought of it.

9. depor10

depor10 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Why would madrid want that? Depor is one of Madrid's main rivals for the Spanish leauge title. Why would they pay to have the Pichichi stay on their Rivals team?

10. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I certainly agree with that assessment. However, La Coruna represents the same threat/challange to all the La Liga teams, not just Real Madrid. Internationally, sending a player like Makaay to one of Madrid's main rivals (be they ManU, Juventus, Bayern, etc.) would make Madrid's CL aspirations--which are to win the CL each year--more difficult. Winning the league goes without saying; no one has to state that as a goal for Real. But my opinion is that Real considers winning Europe as more important than winning the domestic title. Not that any of this is based on fact--but it is the impression I get from the team.

11. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Maakay to Bayern move completed. Hopefully he will do as well for us as he did for you.

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    And you got it right

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Makaay offically gone yet? I assume he since I saw a picture of him wearing a Bayern kit.

Rosenborg is our opponent for the 3rd round of the Champions League draw. I'm just hoping for a draw in Norway, and we'll get them in A Coruna. Any predictions?

14. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    The deal is done. Deportivo reportedly earn 18.75M Euros on the deal. That's net gain, because Bayern pay all transfer fees in addition to the 18.75M.

It would probably have been cheaper for Bayern just to pay the original asking price of 21M Euros.

Also, if Bayern wins the Bundesliga in the next three years, they pay Depor 500.000 Euros. If they win the CL, they pay Depor 1M Euros. Bayern also agrees to participate in the Teresa Herrera in 05 and 06, with a 500.000 Euro penalty each if they decide not to show up.

All in all, I think Lendoiro cleaned house on this deal. Depor still has three world class strikers. They made a butt load of money in an incredibly weak market. They resolved a lot of team issues. They set themselves up for future acquisitions in the Winter Market.

15. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow, that's a nice haul for Makaay. I wonder why Baryern would agree to such weird terms.

Hopefully with the money we acquired we can actually sign some guys now.

16. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    FYI - Depor kicks off Champions League play Wednesday in Rosenburg. Hopefully their form improves and they get a result. I'll post results here after the game.

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you able to watch the game?

Fran and Luque are out of the match tomorrow.

18. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
  19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    No, I don't get to watch the game, as there is no coverage that I can find in the US. :(

I will provide links to the results when I find them, though.

20. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Darn, I was hoping someone knew a webcast that might show their games.

21. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess we were badly outplayed, but I'll take the goalless draw. Damn, I wanted a road goal though.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any statistics or our lineup yet.

22. caliente

caliente New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Iowa, USA
    HELP! (pronto por favor)

Hey guys, I am a relative newbie to the Soccerage boards, but I have a serious question concerning Depor for this upcoming season. I am in a Fantasy league that includes English, Spanish, Italian, and German clubs, and as nearly all of the people in my league are U.K. based, most of the teams are fairly anglocentric. So I am looking for a few relative "sleeper" picks. I can only follow La Liga action via the internet, but I was wondering who will be the striker of choice for Depor. Will Pandiani get a shot or will it be Tristan?

23. Sandeman

Sandeman New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Hey Deportistas I found you!!! Ok, this will be a tough call. Pandiani is coming off a great season at Mallorca while Tristan is starting to play again after months off due to injury. At the moment id say Pandiani is our top striker, however when Tristan gets into top shape he could be the best striker in La Liga. Two seasons ago he was the top scorer in Spain and if he works his ass off this season he could reclaim this title. If I was you I would roll the dice and go with Tristan!

24. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    and let the others gain points off Pandiani???