(NQR) NY Times on San Jose's Revival

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by DaveBrett, May 21, 2007.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  2. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow, for a moment there I started to think San Jose was so cool that even a New York writer would think it was cool. But the author is a freelance writer living in Oakland (and I think a former reporter for the Oakland Tribune). Oh well. But still the NY Times published the article, so that says something...

4. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You should know by now that New Yorkers don't care about MLS teams!

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Considering only 7000 showed up to their important playoff match last year and 10k to their regular season match last week, I see what you mean.....

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good work!

San Jose IS really cool. I was disappointed to see that the author did not include the Rosicrucian Museum and the City museum among the cool things. The Rosicrucian holds the third largest collection of Egyptian artifacts and replicas in world, after only the National Museum in Cairo and the Nation Museum in London. Plus, it has a garden full of 3/4 replicas of what various statues and such would have looked like when new. The City museum, down in Kelly Park is a full scale reconstruction of much of old downtown San Jose. Except that the old light tower is only 3/4 scale, because the original blew over. It's the inspiration for the Eiffel Tower. How many of you knew that?!

And of course the crime rate is really low, and the Children's Discovery Museum is really cool. I could go on, but the city really does have a lot to recommend it.

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    SAN JOSE RULES!!

- Mark

9. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

When I was very young, I lived in Missouri. We made a trip to San Jose to visit relatives when I was almost 8 and my aunt and uncle took us to the Rosicrucian Museum. After I got back to MO, the big part of my speech to my 3rd grade class was about the Rosicrucian. I was the only kid there who had ever seen a REAL mummy. That was in January, 1957.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never knew any of these things......how interesting. I think I went there once when I was 5 years old. Around the same time, I went to see the Winchester Mystery House. Its funny becuase for about a 5 year span from 2001-2005, I lived in Rome, Florence and traveled to Paris and every day I would be amazed by all the history. After living most of my life in San Jose, I never even knew (or cared) if these things ever even existed. I guess when you live in the same place all your life, like the Romans, you tend to take many of these things for granted.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Seriously? Heck, then let's not stop there. San Jose was the inspiration for Paris!

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool article -- and I can see that there have been some big changes, both social and physical about the city, since I've been gone in the last five-plus years.

We must get back home sometime, in the relative near future...

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify a bit, the museum was create by the head of the Rosicrucian Order (not sure when I though it was in the '20s) who was an avid collector of Egyptian artifacts.

The guy lived in a house across Naglee from the Park and at one time had a tunnel from his house to the Park so he didn't have to deal with crossing the street (how much traffic could there have been?)

My ex worked for the Rosicrucian Park and was a buyer for them and the museum. One thing they bought a lot of was the Vomit Granules because kids are always blowing chunks near the mummys

14. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy