The 'Fabio Cannavaro is LEGEND' Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sempre, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just love this picture....

[​IMG]

3. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm a Viola fan - but I agree, this guy is pure class.

I'm still astounded by his lack of cautions in this cup of yellow and red cards, all the while offering the best defending in the tournament.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    LOL, that's one of my favorites too. I wonder if Toni ever had anything to say about it (in fun, of course).

5. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The only thing I would like to point out right now is that Fabio comes from the same neighborhood of Naples that I come from (Fuorigrotta). Guess that explains a lot. ;)

www.fabiocannavaro.it is his official site.

6. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The man is a soldier, a warrior...a Roman Legionnaire in the classical sense. Veramente un grande.

[​IMG]

7. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His philosophy? 'I've always been strong physically and I think for a player what happens off the field is even more important,' he says. 'I don't drink or smoke. I eat well, get plenty of sleep and, when the mood takes, sex is good, too.'

Brilliant. I've always been a fan of Cannavaro ever since he started out at Napoli and then when he was the emerging star at Parma. He's a short guy, but as the article said, he can jump as high as Luca Toni. He reads the game brilliantly.

And when the Azzurri came to Circo Massimo, in front of a million fans, he got on the microphone and started chanting, "Chi non salta e Francese....Chi non salta e Francese...." Classic!

8. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is so crucial, and is the hallmark of only the most brilliant players. That, combined with his speed and leaping ability make him the player he is - the best defender in the world.

Amazing.

9. AmericanRosanero

AmericanRosanero New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    He utterly crushed any negative thoughts I had about him (AND Zambrotta too) this Cup. Like it was mentioned, he order the back line about as he pleased and got NO cards.

Class beyond definition.

10. Porteghal

Porteghal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2005
    LOVE the guy and i love Juve too

HE DESERVED THE GOLDEN BALL OVER THAT DIRTY DISGRACEFUL ZIDANE :mad:

I hope they take it away from him

11. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    I also have so many fond memories of Cannavaro. His performance in th '98 QF vs France was unbelievable. If you've forgotten, get a tape just to watch him.

For me though, the moment that will forever be etched in my mind is the 2nd goal vs Germany. Ball is served into the area 120' mark, Cannavaro once again positions himself perfectly to clear the ball which pops up towards Podolski 30 yards form goal. Cannavaro dashes at top speed, times the steal perfectly then gives the ball to Totti at midfield, who gives it to Gilardino, to Del Piero, GOAL!! This play had all the great Cannavaro qualtities in one brief moment - positioining to clear the ball, speed to get to the ball coming to Podolski, timing to steal the ball off Podolski, drive to bring the ball forward, intelligence to give it up to Totti, heart to do all this in a very tired moment and nerve to attempt all this at the moment in the game and not be afraid of making a mistake!

Grazie Fabio!

12. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    We don't need to go there. We won and should be above it. From where I stand I see people complaining about dirty, cheating Italians but in their hearts they KNOW that we are the Champs and will wallow in their jealousy for the next 4 years. We also know that in our hearts Fabio is the true MVP and no stupid media vote can ever take that away from him!

13. LuigiNyc

LuigiNyc Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Queens, New York
    One little thing from this cup that I thought was cool about Cannavaro was during the Penalty Shootout in the Finals.

After every Italian kick they would show the team and everyone would be pumping their fist or jumping up and down or celebrating in someway, but Cannavaro would just stand there arms crossed all calm and collected. Pirlo even put his arms around Cannavaros shoulders and he still remained in the same stance until the final kick where Grosso won it. Then he went running and celebrating like everyone else.

I just found that really cool.

14. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston
    You shouldn't have had negative thoughts on either of those guys! They both have been the epitome of consistence for the Azzurri over the past 6+ years.

15. x0dus

x0dus Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Oh my god same here! I love that when he heads the ball out then just charges at Podolski and rips the ball off his feet, when he did that I knew we were guaranteed to go through.

If you watch this clip, its around the 2 minute mark.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6126864451921769660&q=fabio+grosso

16. Porteghal

Porteghal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2005

lol yea man i feel you, im just pissed off by battling all these haters on persianfootball.com

They're hating more than the french are doing just cuz they dont like italy. They say materazzi is dirty but what did he do dirty this world cup? If anything he was the victim and sh*t talkin is part of the game, to me he was the PLAYER OF THE GAME!

17. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Anyone think Cannavaro is gonna be part of the Euro 2008 squad as well? I know he's already 33 years old and all, but the guy has shown that he is still in incredible physical condition and his skills only keep getting better!

18. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will never forget that sight of Cannavaro and Pirlo. A great moment.

Another memory of Cannavaro: he provided an excellent assist to Zola who scored the only goal of the game in a friendly against England at Wembley back in the mid/late 90's. It was Cannavaro's first (or thereabouts) appearance with the Azzurri.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    (narrowing my eyes as I try to remember ....) I remember Zola scoring a goal against England in a WC Qualifier off an assist by a defender at Wembley, but I thought it was Costacurta with the assist ... maybe we're remembering different events though.

20. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe we're thinking of the same event, but I'm the one who is confused. :D

Pretty sure it was a friendly, though...pretty sure...not certain...:eek:

Anyway, I thought it was Cannavaro, but I could be wrong. In any case, Cannavaro was out there in one of his very early Azzurri appearances. ;)

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Think there was only one England-Italy game at Wembley in that time period, and it was the 1-0 win during 1998 WCQ when Zola scored. Cannavaro definitely played in the game, but I clearly remember Costacurta making the pass. The shock of it and all.

Not to take away from the legend of Fabio Cannavaro, of course. :)

22. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, maybe Cannavaro made the pass to Costacurta who in turn crossed it...but Fabio's pass to Billy must have been especially brilliant! :D

23. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you look at the video again, it's more like Cannavaro tries to take it up himself but Totti comes and steals the ball from him...:D

24. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    I think his performance was legendary. His name belongs with the likes of Baresi and Maldini.

25. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The man was outstanding!! He was a true leader. He deserved the award more than Zidane. Now, with Juve getting a possible stiff punishment and Capello in Madrid, I hope he doesn't leave Italy.