tHE CASTING COUCH GAME Thread No. 1: Lights, Camera ,... .....

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Jul 12, 2006.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed! A tough entry into the game here! And it all falls upon me! :eek:

Let me get to brainstorming something...

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who thinks that this is borderline bad taste, casting Natalie Wood anywhere near a large body of water? :D

Nonetheless, great pick...

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first choice for Norman Bates, too... Vince Vaughn, it is. He can do charming and creepy all at once.

And for the role of Mary Poppins, I nominate Cameron Diaz -- just based on her charm and personality alone.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You know, I can kinda see where you're coming from with Moore.

But Gosling, man.....

5. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts before I make my pick:

Sir Manchester

Both great picks. Cox would have Beale down perfectly (and he even has a resemblance to Finch, a plus), and Deloin is a great choice for Bond (but there's always that pesky British accent thing). Solid work.

DoctorJones24

Daneil Day Lewis as Harry Lime? Hmm...I don't see it. As you mentioned, he has very few scenes and it's a character that's larger than life (as Welles was). Lewis is not a slouch, and for modern day actors he's got lots of charisma and screen presence. However, he just doesn't fit right. Wood, on the other hand, is a great choice for Rose.

The Slippery One

I take it you haven't heard Cary Grants French "accent" in I Was a Male War Bride[/b]. I'd just love to hear what he'd do with German. :p Actually, Grant could pull off Mandrake and the President pretty well and pretty easily, but Strangelove? I don't know. Downey Jr. though is an inspired choice as Bickle.

Ghost

Clooney seemed to talk pretty fast in O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Can he match Grant's impeccable comic timing, facial expressions, and gravitas? I don't know, but it'd be interesting to watch that's for sure.

The Lloyd pick is pretty standard. The good thing about silent film is that your replacement doesn't need to talk. The bad thing about silent film is that your replacement doesn't need to talk. Lloyd certainly was a great physical comedian, but he lacks the pathos that Chaplin could bring to his roles.

babytiger2001

Are you for real with the Vaughn pick? If so, that's almost as bad as Claymore basically passing on Sigourney Weaver, in fact I'll say it, it's worse.

Diaz as Poppins? Maybe if she could dance and sing. Maybe.

My picks:

[​IMG]

Bette Davis as Scarlett O'Hara - This was a tough one. Vivien Leigh as O'Hara is one of the most iconic of all female film performances. She was the perfect choice, and in fact, the studio had already picked Leigh as early as 1937. All the actresses that supposedly tried out were the unwitting victims of the film's publicity campaign. However, one of those try-outs was the great Bette Davis. She was the first actress that popped into my head but I kept having my doubts. Davis always looked older than she was, how could she pull off a sixteen year-old Scarlett? But everytime I had my doubts I always thought of William Wyler's Jezebel (1938). It's essentially Gone With the Wind lite, and it's Davis that carries the movie. She could play a snappy Southern Belle as well as Leigh, and in 1938 was just as sexy.

[​IMG]

Robert Mitchum as Jake Gittes - Gittes isn't your average film noir private eye, and Jack Nicholson isn't your average actor. In fact, Gittes may be the only private eye in the history of noir to never carry a gun. He gets his nose slit by a short Pole (Polanski himself) and has sex with Faye Dunaway. Who could pull this off as well as Jack? Why, Robert Mitchum of course! Mitchum is the only actor of the noir era who had a personality off-screen and on as large and eccentric as Nicholson. Other famous actors of the noir era could have pulled off Gittes, but not as well as Mitchum.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Ebeneezer Scrooge.....

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN. He can get grumpy, chew scenery and look like he's seen a ghost.

Barbara Stanwyck's double-dealing wife from Double Indemnity...hmmm... Stanwyck was 37 when she played the role. I need somebody not TOO good looking, a little older, who can be mean and desperately needy, and cold as ice. An actress who knows how to hold back a little.

I'm gonna say JOAN ALLEN, maybe ten years ago.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000260/

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking Mike Myres b/c of Austin Powers

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, Christopher Walken would've been a good choice for Norman Bates, too. :(

9. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. I am sooo far in over my head right now. I have no idea who these actors are that you guys are naming. Now I know how GringoTex felt when folks were trotting out obscure indie bands in the album draft.

I'm going with Willem Dafoe. The guy plays a good villain. It's as simple as that.

Steve McQueen. It's tough to come up with any actor that can match Eastwood's macho personality onscreen but McQueen does. Plus, McQueen's characters were often men of few words so he spent a lot of time telling the audience about his character with his body language rather than his dialouge which is necessary for those old Eastwood roles.

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we have a moderator delete the posts from folks tossing out suggestions?

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    First Round

Group 1 (DrJones24)
    Harry Lime –Daniel Day Lewis
    Rose DeWitt – Natalie Wood

Group 2 (Via)
    Scarlett O'Hara – Bette Davis
    Jake Gittes – Robert Mitchum

Group 3 (BlueDaddy)
    Luke Skywalker –Ryan Gosling
    Dorothy – Mandy Moore

Group 4 (GringoTex)
    Indiana Jones
    George Bailey

Group 5 (Claymore)
    Rick Blaine –Jack Nicholson
    Lt. Ripley -- pass

Group 6(Michael K.)
    Alex de Large
    Harry Powell

Group 7(The SlipperyOne)
    Dr. Strangelove –CaryGrant
    Travis Bickle –- Robert Downey Jr.

Group 8 (SirManchester)
    Howard Beale—Brian Cox
    James Bond -- Alain Delon.

Group 9 (Ghost)
    The Little Tramp – Harold Lloyd
    Walter Burns – George Clooney

Group 10 (Obie)
    Norma Desmond – Faye Dunaway
    Margo Channing – Tallulah Bankhead

Group 11 (Iceblink)
    Don Vito Corleone --
    T.S. Lawrence –

Group 12 (Bojendyk)
    Don Lockwood – Dick Van Dyke
    Holly Golightly – Judy Garland

Group 13 (BabyTiger2001)
    Norman Bates – Vince Vaughn
    Mary Poppins – Cameron Diaz

Group 14 (bmurphyfl)
    Hans Gruber – Willem Dafoe
    The Man with No Name – Steve McQueen

Group 15 (Autogolazo)
    Ebeneezer Scrooge – Christopher Walken
    Phyllis Dietrichson –Joan Allen

Iceblink, Michael K., and Gringo did not show.Michael will mosey in on his own schedule and can make his picks then.. Ieblink and Gringo,I don't know. We shall move on, and ythey can rejoin us.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Second Round

1)DoctorJones24
    Group 2
    Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) from Gone with the Wind
    Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson) from Chinatown

2) Via_Chicago
    Group 3
    Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) from Star Wars
    Dorothy (Judy Garland) from The Wizard of Oz

3) BlueDaddy19
    Group 4
    Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) from Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.
    George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) from It's a Wonderful Life

4) GringoTex
    Group 5
    Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) from Casablanca
    Lt. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) from Alien

5) Claymore
    Group 6
    Alex de Large (Malcolm McDowell) from A Clockwork Orange
    Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) from Night of the Hunter

6) Michael K.
    Group 7
    Dr. Strangelove/President Merton Muffley/that English major guy (Peter Sellers) in Dr. Strangelove
    Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro) from Taxi Driver

7) TheSlipperyOne
    Group 8
    Howard Beale (Peter Finch) from Network
    James Bond (Sean Connery, etc.) from Goldfinger, etc

8) SirManchester
    Group 9
    The Little Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) from Modern Times, etc.
    Walter Burns (Cary Grant) from His Girl Friday

9) Ghost
    Group 10
    Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) from Sunset Boulevard
    Margo Channing (Bette Davis) from All About Eve

10) Obie
    Group 11
    Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) from The Godfather
    T.S. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) from Lawrence of Arabia

11) Iceblink
    Group 12
    Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) from Singin' in the Rain
    Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) from Breakfast at Tiffany's

12) Bojendyk
    Group 13
    Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) from Psycho
    Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) from Mary Poppins

13) BabyTiger2001
    Group 14
    Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) from Die Hard
    The Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood) from various spaghetti westerns

14) bmurphyfl -
    Group 15
    Ebeneezer Scrooge (various actors) from A Christmas Carol
    Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) from Double Indemnity

15) Autogolazo
    Group 1
    Harry Lime (Orson Welles) from The Third Man
    Rose DeWitt (Kate Winslet) from Titanic

13. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here! Sorry for being tardy.

For T.E. Lawrence... the first person I thought of was Alec Guinness... but that wouldn't have worked, as he was in the film... and I would have picked him then probably... not later in his life... though, as you'll see, I'm not above having a single actor from two time periods in the samefilm. I read that O'Toole was crazy tall for the part, so I chose another British actor who I think could have pulled off the role... and is shorter. Anthony Hopkins... younger of course.

I was having an extremely hard time with Vito Corleone. No matter whom I choose, it's sure to be a completely different film. I thought about going with another mafia paternal figure from tv... but I thought he was too young.

Instead, for Vito... I choose to ship an actor back in time to play his own father... James Caan. I think that would bring an interesting dynamic between the characters.... and who could question the family resemblence?

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ummmm why did someone edit the pictures out of my first round post? :confused:

indiana jones - get ready for some fun! how about james dean?! i know he was a little young when he died, but hey! this is hollywood! he could easily handle the scruffy, the scholarly, the physicality and even the comedy of the role

[​IMG]

george bailey -i think i have the winner for this one: john cusack, no explanation should be necessary

[​IMG]

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Indiana Jones:

[​IMG]

Jean-Paul Belomondo- Has all the vicious smart-assness and faux humility the character requires, plus out-chics Harrison Ford.

George Bailey:

[​IMG]

Paul Giamatti: Admission- I don't like James Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life. I prefer him in the Mann westerns and Hitchcock thrillers where his "everyniceguy" persona is used against him. I think Giamatti would add the perfect edge.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's brilliant. I might even find Indiana Jones watchable if this was the case.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Harry Lime....

Tough to think of a good American actor nowadays in this role, and for the story, the role really should be American, yet cultured and sinister.

I think in his heyday, ROD STEIGER could've played this role very well.

Rose DeWitt....

I would take this part in a direction completely away from Kate Winslett. When the movie came out, if you'll recall, the most common complaint heard from the peanut gallery was that she didn't have the wattage to compete with her leading man, that it wasn't a balanced casting. For the type of movie it is, I agree completely.

Give me ANN MARGRET in her nubile youth.

18. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    For Mary Poppins, I would go with one of Hitchcock's steely beauties. Several of them would work, I think, but let's pick one: Kim Novak.

[​IMG]

And for Norman Bates, I'd go with Ralph Fiennes, who has a physique similar to Anthony Perkins (unlike Vince Vaughn) and that same blend of boyish handsomeness and fragile naivte. Can you not imagine him stuttering out the words "a boy's best friend is his mother"?

[​IMG]

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Vito Corleone: There’s likely no other role on this list where a physical resemblance to the original is as important – a new Godfather has to be big, he has to slouch a bit, and he has to be able to be intimidating without resorting to volume. Other than maybe Bogie / Rick from Casablanca, no other actor / role combination is tougher to overcome.

Oh, and no Nicholson. That’s a personal goal for me. 30 roles, no Jack in any of them.

So, after much thought, I’ve decided that one guy who could have possibly done a better Don is Lee J. Cobb. He lacks some heft but he more than makes up for it by just looking mean and in control. Nobody screwed with Brando, and nobody’d screw with Cobb, either.

T. S. Lawrence – Hmmm… The problem with re-casting Lawrence is that he was a real person -- British, noble, literate, a taste for epics, and can ride a horse and wear a big white scarf without feeling self-aware of it. How about Rupert Everett? Everett has the added advantage of being outwardly gay, a claim frequently heard about Lawrence, and as a result Everett could play the part with a bit more, shall we say, flamboyance.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i didn't really expect him to fall all the way to me... but DAMN YOU anyway!

21. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex De Large (A Clockwork Orange) - Robert Carlyle. Sociopaths are this guy's speciality
    [​IMG]

Harry Powell (Night Of The Hunter) - Clive Owen.
    [​IMG]

22. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Second Round

1)DoctorJones24
    Group 2
    Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) from Gone with the Wind
    Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson) from Chinatown

For Chinatown, I'm going with Sean Penn. That seems so perfect to me I'm not sure it needs any justification.

For Scarlett O'Hara, I'm still thinking...I'll get back to that one later today.

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike some of the other games I've participated in on this board, I couldn't even wait till round 3 or 4 to start falling behind. Shameful. Time to catch up.

Alex Delarge - Needing to portray a sadistic cinematic sociopath, who better for the job than a borderline real-life sociopath? Come on down, (an appropriately young) Klaus Kinski.

[​IMG]

Harry Powell - I confess I haven't seen this movie, but based on what I've read, I'll go straight back to the Sean Penn well after DoctorJones here.

[​IMG]

Dr. Strangelove, et al - There's a few comic actors with the versatility and black gravitas necessary here, I think. I'll take, err.....Robin Williams (dialed down off "irritatingly manic mode").

[​IMG]

Gimme another minute to come up with Travis Bickle....

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You gotta be kidding me. The children would hate her, Dick Van Dyke would be terrified of her, and she can't sing or dance.

25. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I know--she's perfect!