Quick question (penalty kick rebound)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Chas (Psyatika), Mar 26, 2006.

1. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Law 14 says that the penalty taker can not touch the ball a second time after he has put the ball into play. So if he takes the penalty, it rebounds off the post without touching the goalkeeper, the ball comes right back to the original kicker, and he kicks the ball again, the referee stops play and restarts with an indirect free kick for the opposing team from the spot of the second touch.

Am i right in drawing that conclusion? Just wanted to make sure i'm doing it correctly.

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    yes, 2nd touch.

if it rebounds off the goalie, no problem. but if only the post, it has not touched another player and the correct call is no goal.

3. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Good...i was worried for a moment.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely correct. No goal, IFK.

Guaranteed, at least once in your ref career you will see the ball go into the net after the second kick and point to midfield for a kickoff, just from excitement. As you're halfway to midfield it will dawn on you that no other player touched it. :eek:

Remember that you can change your call and bring the ball back for the IFK, as long as the (incorrect) kickoff has not taken place. :)

5. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    I saw a ref get this right and wrong at the same time. PK, ball rebounds off the post back to the kicker who drills it in. Ref signals indirect going out (good so far) but then blows it big time by stating that the offense was "offside." HUH???

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting interpretation; don't think I've seen that one before...:eek:

7. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The problem is that the ball is usually in the back of the goal before you have a chance to blow the whistle. And, whenever you disallow a goal (especially in youth games) there are parents and players who scream for an explanation.

Last time I had a 2-touch after a PK the shooter puts it well over the goal. I blow my whistle, but the keeper sets the ball up for a goal kick. It was close enough to the spot of the 2nd touch, so I just raised my hand and let it play. For restart purposes, the placement of the ball was fine, but for educational purposes I really should have stopped play and explained it to the kids, since it was only a U10 game. After the game I realized that if the same shooter is in the same situation in another game and he burries the ball on the 2nd touch, he'll scream that the last ref didn't call it when he played it a 2nd time.

8. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I saw the same thing last night. Someone was saying that the goal can't stand because the shooter was offside.

I very calmly explained that you can't be offside if you passed the ball to yourself, and if everyone is required to be behind the ball for the kick, it stands to reason that no one can be called offside on the rebound.

9. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I can see how a casual fan might interpret it as an offside call, based on the referee's actions. All the fan sees is a free kick from inside the penalty area and a referee with a raised arm. Since they've seen many such restarts after offsides, they may easily assume that this was another offside violation.