Quarter Finals - Teams to Avoid

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by John L, Jul 11, 2005.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Normally you wouldn't mind being a group leader and having a weaker 2nd place or 3rd place team in the Quarter Final - But not this time - There's been too many upsets of other wise good teams

How do the brackets look - Who are our likely opponents? Who are the ones to really avoid?

Columbia
    Mexico

(South Africa or Jamaica - I know these are doing unexpected well this tournament, but I really don't think the US squad would have too many problems against these - Nobody else is seriously that good)

2. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    if we play like yesterday, i am not worrying about who we might face in the quarter final.

3. careerender

careerender Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Calvert County, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asuming we beat Costa Rica we'll get either South Africa or Jamaica. If we lose, we'll most likely get ColOmbia. I predict Jamaica.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that the only team we want to "avoid" is Mexico - we want to match up with them in the final (for sake of drama, if nothing else).

Here's where it gets tricky, though. If we win our group, we play quarters against 3A/3C - right now, Mexico is 3C (but they likely have to lose to Jamica to stay that way, unlikely). If we lose to CRC and finish second, we play A1 - probably Columbia. They really don't scare me with their form in this tournement.

After that, we play in the Semis against the winner of the Quater covered above that we don't play in. If we win our group, therefore, we likely face the CRC/Columbia winner in the Semis. If we lose to CRC, we likely face CRC again in the Semis. (as always, with this outside chance that we could face Mexico is either the Quarters or Semis).

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    When did you all become such nansy pansies? Teams to avoid? At the Gold Cup? Come on now.....suck it up. Pretend like we are the best team in the region. We don't avoid anyone. Columbia, Mexico--- why should we fear them?

Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight - wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and never will lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.

6. blueman2

blueman2 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Colombia has almost been eliminated from the tournament - they haven't won a game yet. So, they may not even be a consideration. These are the teams that have secured a spot in the next round so far:
    USA (Group B)
    Costa Rica (Group B)
    Jamaica (Group C)
    South Africa (Group C)

7. roykemper

roykemper New Member

Jun 4, 2003
    How are you getting Columbia as A1? They are last with 0 points after two rounds. They cannot mathematically finish first in A. The best they can finish is 3rd.

8. roykemper

roykemper New Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Panama and Honduras are also through with 4 points from Group A. While they could get caught by T&T for 1st, they cannot lose out for 3rd as there is only 1 team other team with at least 3 points (Mexico). All other teams have 0 points going into the last game. The only open spots left are the 2 # 3 seeds. Right now Mexico would have to be a prohibitive favorite to at least get one of those as even if they lose, they currently have a +3 GD. It would be next to impossible for one of the current teams with ) points to come back and overcome that GD unless Mexico chokes vs Jamaica.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that I like the idea of coming in second. We'd play Panama, Honduras or T&T. I'd like ANY one of those teams over the ones we'd likely play if we came in first.

There's still a chance that Colombia will go through. But they'd need a big win over TnT, who've shown a brilliant ability to tie games. But, as others have pointed out, they're eliminated from getting first in that group. They're scrambling for 3rd at this point. There's a thread over on the Gold Cup board titled something like "What crappy team did Colombia send to this tournament?"

10. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like the obvious front-running choice of El Tri in the final, however we get there.

I would like us to play TnT...Beenhaeker has done a good job w. them...they have some players and they're looking better every match. Dutch coaches intrigue me...they seem to impose a system that's effective and easy to understand.

11. careerender

careerender Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Calvert County, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the three third place teams two will advance. Canada (-3) and Cuba (-5)both have worse goal differentials than Colombia (-1). All Colombia has to do is beat T&T by a goal or two, something they are easily capable of, and they're pretty much assured of advancing. Canada and Cuba appear to me to be equally woeful. I guess it's possible Canada could defeat Cuba by 3 but I doubt it. So that's why folks are still including Colombia in the mix. Heck, they play in CONMEBOL and are third in their region in WCQs behind only Brazil and Argentina.

12. Nittany Meteo

Nittany Meteo Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Burlington, NJ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

Link: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/group/index.html?zone=sam

13. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    does vietnam not count?

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Jamaica has given up 6 goals in 2 matches... With their suspect defending I wouldn't mind playing them or Colombia in the 2nd round... Heck we've already beaten a Colombia team not unlike this one this year with a weaker group of players...

15. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Not if you're Patton in 1943/44.

16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I don't think Colombia's Gold Cup squad is nearly as strong as their team which is doing well (after a lousy start) in CONMEBOL WC qualifying.

And their best player, Tresor Moreno, got red carded last night.

17. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    what if you're just quoting part of the script of the film "patton"?

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that I've been fascinated with the number of red cards in this tournament. I know it's not true, but it sure seems like every game is finishing 11 on 10. Both US games have ended up that way.

19. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA!

i didnt even read past the 3rd sentence i felt obligated to copy, paste and just say f-ing valid

forza inter

20. JamesENicholson

Feb 18, 2005
    I thought the Patton quote was kinda funny.

21. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    We're soldiers, but we're American soldiers! We've been kicking ass for 200 years! We're 10-and-1!

[​IMG]

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

totally agree with this...when I logged onto the thread I was expecting a discussion about the WORLD CUP......laughed me arse off when I read that it was about the Gold Cup....

23. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    There are alot of US supporters that don't think like this...I'm one of them. I say give us any team anywhere anytime.

seeing in this case that we would have home field advantage, i'm that much more that embarresed for the thread originator

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I'm with you 100% on this.....

....the thread....Re: Quarter Finals - Teams to Avoid

....the answer....none of them

....thread closed.

25. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct