I hate Frank Zappa

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by cj herrera, Oct 21, 2002.

1. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    There I said it.

I've tried my whole life to ignore him, but he keeps rearing his poorly mustachioed and purposefully uncoiffed hippie head via periodic mentions of his "genius."

I think his music was self-important, coarse and bludgeoning, un-funny, unlistenable noodlings for other self-important un-funny musicians.

Nothing sends me over the edge more than his cheezy, sarcastic, radio-announcer singing voice as he recites scathing lyrics about coke heads and bureaucrats. Oooh, I'm simultaneously scandalized and educated. I hate to tell his fans, but kazoos and slide whistles were funny when Spike Jones was around. But they were already unfunny in the 60s, let alone the 70s.

Frank Zappa was the Christopher Hitchens of the music industry -- and I don't mean that in a good way. Shrill, is the word I'm looking for.

Don't get me wrong: I love rock. I even like some rock operas. I love jazz. I even like some free jazz. I love social criticism. And I like frank analysis of the world's ills.

But he just falls way, way, way short.

Sure, he was an accomplished musician, but that doesn't mean he makes great music. Sure he was bucking the system, but that doesn't mean he was a visionary. Sure lots of people adore him, but lots of people also voted for George W. Bush.

At least he's funny.

[/rant]

2. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Dude, Frank Zappa is dead.

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Wait till he finds out about Ammet and Dwezil.

4. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Exactly.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't hate him, but don't love him either. I have always thought that Zappa was one of those "you had to be there" people who, in 1969 when the Mothers first started, was truly radical and ground-breaking in a way that later generations take for granted.

Beyond that, if you really hate him it's not that hard to avoid his music, is it? Has your favorite radio station in Oakland switched to an all-Zappa format? Will the 100,000-fan Zappafest take place right outside of your apartment? Are you dating Moon Unit? If the answer to all of those is no, you should have no problem avoiding him, either.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    classic.

7. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig

Who told you?

(Don't tell my wife...)

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This is a good point - I've never heard a Frank Zappa song in my life.

9. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    Not liking Zappa is ok. Personally, I can think of few twentieth century musicians of his quality.
    But, since you love rock...I challenge you to listen to Zappa's "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" and then name me one rock guitarist who was as good. Not trying to force him on you, just saying that if you throw out everything he's done because you don't care for his voice or his politicizing then you're going to miss out on some damn fine stuff.

10. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    you forgot to open your HTML tag [rant]...

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    There are a few of his albums that are actually quite good. I actually own about 3 or 4 of them.

But I believe the vast majority of his work was total crap. Completely unlistenable.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hot Rats" "Apostrophe" and "Freak Out" are severly awesome, as are several other of his albums. I could handle the politics and all that, I just couldn't handle some of the stuff on "Joe's Garage" and a few others. I just got sick of listening to lyrics about robots having sex with people. Just seemed kind of immature.

13. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Heh, funny you mention that. I hijacked that little bit from "Stick It Out" for the beginning of Fire games. The "dum du-dum dum dum FIRE!" part. One or two people have recognized it. Well, one that I remember.

And, in my opinion, Zappa has too many fingers in too many pies for there to be NOTHING in his catalog that you might like. I'm partial to the more instrumental stuff (Regyption Strut, Sofa #1, Echidna's Arf, that sort of thing) than the vocal stuff, and I understand how you could not like the vocal stuff, but there are several babies you might throw out with that bathwater. That said, it's a really, really big bathtub, so it's understandable if you don't want to wade through it, to continue that metaphor to previously unimaginable lengths.

Later,
    COZ

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Moon Unit is the coolest name ever.

15. brubbabriggs

brubbabriggs New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    It's kind of cool to see that Frank is still able to piss people off all these years after his death. I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to read some of these comments. Being funny is one thing, disturbing and/or annoying clueless people for amusement is an altogether different talent...

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Besides being one of the best most underrated lead guitarists of his time, Frank Zappa was the musician most likely not to give a fvck about what people thought about his music. He frequently went after music executives, fadism, stereotypes...etc.
    Hell, he even slammed his own fans. He truly played his music for his own self enjoyment. Having seen him three times in concert, I'd say he played it for mine too.

17. magster56

magster56 New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Orange County
    Dude~and I mean this in a supportive way.....Move on. Get over it. I'm glad you were able to get it off your chest, but I'd like to see you put that behind you, ok? ;)

As for the G.W. B. reference....Now THAT'S someone to fear/loathe/hate......I have a hard time warming up to blood thirsty war mongers.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

18. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    You suck and I hate you. :)

I've had to make do with Banned From Utopia, Project/Object and Mike Keneally & Beer For Dolphins. The 7-piece BFD had a definite Zappa-ness about it.

Later,
    COZ

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Frank played 3 nights in a row at the Warner Theatre in DC in '89*. I made the first and the last night. I saw him at Towson State for a three hour jam in 81.

* Changed my life forever......:)

20. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    If the '81 show was with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, then I really, really, REALLY hate you. Or was it Chad Wackerman already by that point?

I wasn't hip to Zappa in '88, which would have realistically been my only chance to see him, at Fairleigh Dickenson in NJ.

Later,
    COZ

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Whoa, you're really making me stretch the 'ol memory banks. I think I had ingested some sort of mushroom type thingy or so:rolleyes: But I'm pretty sure the series in '89 was with Terry Bozzio.

22. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I've never gotten around to checking out Zappa, though for years reliable people have told me I need to. If anyone knows where I can hear some samples (without having to download any kind of player) I'd be glad to listen now.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would suggest you go to your nearest Tower Records and pick up either "Apostrophe" or "Strictly Commercial" just to get an overview of his more mainsteam music. You can't go wrong......

24. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I don't think there was a tour in '89, actually. The '88 tour was the one that self-destructed midway through, and cause FZ to swear he'd never embark on a tour again. I was talking about '81, which would have been around Joe's Garage, or You Are What You Is. Actually, I think Vinnie was gone sometime in 1980.

I love talking about this in a thread called "I Hate Frank Zappa." :)

I concur with Strictly Commercial and Apostrophe as starting points. Although if you want the broad, and slightly more expensive, perspective, I'd highly recommend the 3-CD set Läther. I don't know of online resources that have samples outside of the usual suspects (CDNow, etc.)

Later,
    COZ

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also recommend "Hot Rats" as a good starting point. It is largely instrumental and doesn't contain as much of the "Zappa weirdness" (except for "Willy the Pimp")