Why Gooners instead of Gunners??

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why do I read many people using Gooners instead of Gunners?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

2. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Im not sure, in the sense of having a written basis to fall back on but.......I always thought it was an affectionate way of referring to the more rowdy of Gunner fans as Goons. Gooner, Gunner seemed a perfect fit.

3. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've always taken the term "Gooner" - as opposed to "Gunner" - to mean that, although we're not actually a part of the <i>actual club</i>, we can distinguish ourselves from fans of other clubs, and can still say, "We won on Saturday!" without introdicing the notion that "We" in fact had anything to do with putting the ball in the net.

Of course, etymologically speaking, I suspect it has something to do with "The Goonies" show with Peter Sellers, et al. But, clearly, as Chief Lexicographical Officer, I must admit this requires more research.

-G. Rex

4. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I always thought it had something to do with the accent. No?

5. Mighty Mackem

Mighty Mackem New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    if it was the accent mate it would be Ganner, it is purely cos it is easier to fit Gooner into songs than Gunner! and to belong to football tribalism it pays to be unique!

6. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Maybe someone else can confirm this. I thought it was originally a taunt used by other supporters which we just adopted, kind of like how we sing Boring, Boring Arsenal.

7. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my understanding of the origins.

8. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I think you're thinking of Newcastle's Toon Army, which is really Town Army but with the Geordies' accent it sounds like Toon.

9. Goonerette

Goonerette New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    London, UK
    I can't remember where I read it from, but I remember reading about it. They said the word Gooner actually came from the Arsenal's Swedish fans cos they couldn't pronounce the word "Gunners" properly. I think they only supported Arsenal because we had that Swedish player, what's his name - Limpar?

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Yeah, Anders Limpar. He actually came to Colorado later in his career and played a couple of seasons for the Rapids. I think he's back in Sweden now.

11. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The actual "official" version that the club stands by is to do with the accent, and from the Norwegian supporters, (although the Swedes and Danes are similiar in their pronunciation of the word, referring or saying "Gunners" as "Gooners". (Try it like "the Swedish Chef" from the muppets). (No offence meant to our Scandinavian friends!). Anders Limpar is back in Sweden playing for the club he first started with. ("Showing off" now, but I received some signed pictures from him in the post yesterday, after visiting his bar "Anders 'Limbar' " when in Stockholm in January.). A great player for us in his heyday. The original "Super Swede". (Freddie you're next!!).

12. james.osiris

james.osiris New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    highbury
    gooner

The term Gooner was originally used in the mid to late 70s. It is simply a pun on the word 'Gunner' and was coined by the club's hooligan element. The Gooners were once one of the most feared troublemakers of the era, along with West Ham's Inter City Firm and the Chelsea Headhunters.
    Happily, most of these idiots have long since disappeared, but the term still remains.
    Still, I like some of the alternative explanations!
    Hope this helps.

13. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That is "exactly" right! They used to frequent "The World's End" pub in Hornsey Road, and together with another group known as "The Herd" were as feared as any other "mob" from other teams. However, you won't get the club acknowledging that fact, (hence the reason I did not include it in my original thread), but the "Scandinavian" segment is "correct" anyway, and one that the club can "officially" acknowledge the use of the term to describe all Arsenal followers nowadays.

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My mistake, the "World's End" pub is in Stroud Green Road, and not Hornsey Road!! Sorry!!

15. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My mistake, the "World's End" pub is in Stroud Green Road, and not Hornsey Road!! Sorry!!

16. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Well thanks, but what possesed you to ressurect a 4 month old thread!

17. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Check the dates Dave, this thread was last active in October 2002. I thought a lot of the old guard were making a comeback on BS until I checked the dates.

18. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Try 2 years and 4 months old, Dave. It was started in October 2002!!!

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just noticed another thread by afceie also linking to that board. Trying to drum up some traffic methinks.

20. afceie

afceie New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    just came across it in google. well at least you can reminiss now eh?

21. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Hell i did nay even look at the year. He musta been bored

22. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Only if you stop posting links to another message board...

23. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London
    I thought we'd covered this elsewhere.

Gooners started out as Goon Squad, a crew who used to frequent the Holloway Tavern (now Spoofers Bar) in the late 70s, early 80s.

Their name was corrupted to Gooners and was the name used by Arsenal hooligans until about 1984 when The Herd became the name after the "Liberty Tour" experience at West Ham.

Memers of The Herd and the original Goon Squad can still be found at The Arsenal, if you know where to look.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fashion! turn to the left
    Fashion! turn to the right
    Oooh, fashion!
    We are the goon squad and we’re coming to town

--David Bowie

25. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anders Limpar

"She asks what I'm doing this week, and I think: (1) I'm seeing Matthew on Wednesday. (2) Matthew's still got my Champions video. (3) [Remembering that Matthew, a purely nominal Arsenal fan, has not been to Highbury for a couple of years, and so has had no opportunity to watch the more recent recruits in the flesh] I wonder what he thought of Anders Limpar.

"And in three easy stages, within fifteen, twenty minutes of waking, I'm on my way."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.