Fan Unrest in Geneva

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Bobles, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    I was watching the intro to the Copa America match pitting Brazil against Mexico on univision and they showed a clip from Geneva. There were no teams on the field so I do not know who was playing.

What they did show was 4 police officers chasing a fan all over the field. They tackled the guy and then one of the officers started to go LAPD on him. This really pissed thre fans on, and even though this guy was wearing a different jersey than most of the people I saw sitting around the field, in the next clip the fans had stormed the field and were kicking the hell out of the cops.

Does anyone have any info on this or a link to where I can read more about this?

Bobles

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It was a friendly between Benfica Lisbon and local side Etoile Carouge. The guy who got to suffer the "LAPD treatment" was a Benfica fan who stormed the field (I don't know why he did it). The overreaction by security sparked the reaction from other Benfica fans...

3. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia

Thanks for the info, are their eny English news sites that have more info on this?

Bobles

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are tons of native Portugese in the Geneva area. I imagine Benifica scheduled this match as a revune maker for all of their ex-pat fans. The chance to see Benifica seems to have been too much for some fans.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sorry, I for one can't find any...

Here's the TSR segment on the incident: http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSect=500002&bcid=320780 (un match amical de football tourne mal)

The security guard who overreacted was fired today.