Zac MacMath to Everton?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    via steve goff's twitter, @soccerinsider:
    "USA u-20 GK Zac MacMath has returned from an informal training stint with Everton and will report to U of Maryland camp next week #usmnt about 4 hours ago via web"

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Perhaps Meola was doing an Agassi during his prime. (Agassi used to pin a toupe on his head with bobby pins, and then surround it with a headband. He lost the Final of a French Open because he was so consumed with the fact that his hairpiece was coming off)

"With each leap, I imagine it falling into the sand. I imagine millions of spectators move closer to their TV sets, their eyes widening and, in dozens of dialects and languages, ask how Andre Agassi’s hair has fallen from his head."

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think we may be doing MacMath a disservice by continuing a thread entitled Zac Macmath to Everton. Unless he can qualify for a EU passport, Zac will not be going to Everton any time soon. I think he has nice potential, but shouldn't we damper down expectations?

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.diamondbackonline.com/sports/goalden-boy-1.1645837?pagereq=2

6. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we finally discovered his heritage :p

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that MacMath will leave college after this season and become a pro:

"Seeing the professional environment opened my eyes, to see how everything really is," he said. "It made me realize that, if I really want this, I have a lot to work to do. It made me want it even more and to work harder this season because I know the dream isn't that far away."

"I'm split about where to go," he said. "I really wanted to go to Europe before college but it didn't work out. Seeing how MLS has grown the last few years, that has become a more popular option. I'm just going to try to find the best opportunity that jump-starts my career."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/03/AR2010120306416.html

8. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if it's such a mystery for a person with a surname starting with "Mac" to be Scottish or possibly Irish. Shocker! Then again, a message in this thread implied most of the the US' original 13 colonies were located in the northeast (someone inform the Mid-Atlantic states minimally from PA and DE south to the SE Atlantic states not named Florida). ;-)

9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The highlighted quote is very important. He has seen a big club like Everton from the inside yet is undecided about whether to try for Europe of stay here with MLS. That bodes well for the possibility that other high-ranking youngsters stay in the states instead of trying to jump straight to Europe, and that they stay longer.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the quakes are able to take this guy with their first round pick. They just lost cannon, and we need someone to push Busch (.....giggidy). And you cant put a value on a good keeper, they keep you in games sometimes you have no business being in. And both Cannon and Busch did that for the quakes this year. Its a good insurance policy and i hope we take it.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with yesterday's loss is his college career over?
    And when do we find out if he's entering the MLS draft?

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he decides that MLS is where he wants to be he will be part of the Generation Adidas class. Once they announce that class then we will know.

13. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see him taking the Brad Guzan route to Europe. Couple solid season's in MLS then off to Europe. I hope his GA deal is not more than 2-3 years. Aren't they typically 4?

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it Hamid or Johnson who had a training stint last winter at Everton? I wonder how much influence Howard has in bringing these guys over. Whatever the case I think it's great that get to train in the Everton environment and with Hioward, who seems very much willing to teach and tudor.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just after I posted, I forgot that Everton's GK coach, Chris Woods, is also the US GK coach. He probably has more influence in these guys coming over.

TimB4Last repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Repped in part for putting Tim Howard in his place and in part for posting twice rather than editing your first post. :p

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Johnson trained with Man U dind't he? Hamid trained with West Brom and I think will probably go back again during the offseason judging by how much he liked it there and they liked him

21. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was supposed to but Man U and the Fire couldn't reach an agreement.

22. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did train with Everton last year at the same time as MacMath if that hasn't been confirmed yet

23. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England is THE place for Tudors

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Good to hear. I wonder if something could be in the works or is it just a coincidence that a lot of young American GK's are coming to Everton to train. Moyes keeping an eye on players?