Youth Yanks Abroad (93s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Herbert Robinson of Santos.

Apparently not a US citizen yet. He must have at least started the citizenship process in order for the USSF to have invited him to an important US camp. However, I don't think we know the actual timeline.

http://owhentheyanks.com/2014/01/04/us-u20s-debutant-herbert-robinson-garcia/

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In view of our Danny Potts experience, I think you're being a little too optimistic. If Robinson's father lived in the US for the necessary five years, then citizenship will be just a formality (albeit possibly a slow one). If not, then he'll be another Potts.

3. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    His father wasn't born in the USA? So how exactly is this kid American? Or what makes him eligible to become a US citizen?

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fulham Football Club ‏@FulhamFC 5h
    #ffc U18s won 2-0 at Norwich today thanks to a goal from Aaron Redford and an Emerson Hyndman penalty #coyw

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His father is American.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how long is it gonna take for Klinsmann to call up Arriola? I truly believe that Klinsmann doesn't rate American YNT players who play in US or Mexico as much as the ones in Germany.

I know Arriola is not playing much for the 1st team of Tijuana right now but the guy has skill and has already scored in the 1 st division, Copa MX and CCL.

Tejas repped this.
  8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to call up Arriola when he's good enough to make the team. No players eligible for the next U20 World Cup have been called up to the US national team yet, except for Julian Green, who is only there to help make his decision easier. Also, Green plays for Bayern Munich, so making the first team is slightly harder than it is at Tijuana. I'm not saying Green is better than Arriola, but you can't use Arriola having scored in a first division as a slight against Green. Liga MX doesn't compare to the Bundesliga, and Bayern Munich is far and away the best team on the planet.

Also, Klinsmann's comments on Green seemed to indicate that the goal was to get him committed as early as possible since he's provisionally cap-tied already, a problem that Arriola does not have. He specifically mentioned the Gold Cup and the Olympics as events he wants Green at, seemingly brushing aside the idea of Green on the plane to Brazil this summer.

As far as your statement about Klinsmann's preferences for YNT team players playing in Germany over those in north america, Klinsmann has only called up four players eligible for the U20 World Cup played last summer. Of those four, one (Brooks) played in Germany. The other 3 (Gil, Yedlin, O'Neill) all play in MLS. The one in Germany, Brooks, was a starter for a team fighting for the Europa League spot in the Bundesliga. He will probably be a starter when he finally gets fully back from injury, as he had a set back and just returned to full practice two weeks ago. So it isn't as if he's some obscure player who got called in because he plays in Germany. He was playing week to week at a higher level of competition than any other center back in the pool, YNT-eligible or otherwise.

So I'm not sure why you "truly believe" Klinsmann rates young players in Germany higher than those at home, when the facts seem to suggest the opposite.

9. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with ironkick. Green is a special case. Arriola will have his time just not now. Realistically will probably be some time in 2015. Out of the next u20 group I see getting capped Arriola, Green*, Thompson, Acosta, Flores, Rubin, Delgado. . In other words the kids who will most likely have the most 1st team experience around their WC time next year.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cropper, Gyau, Boyd and Gatt are just a few of the players who have been called up even though they were not good enough to make the team. Arriola has more skill, vision and potential than Shea does.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cropper and Gyau were called up just for training basically, Gyau wasn't on the gameday roster and Cropper won't play on Wednesday. They both were called in for training in Europe, where they ply their trade. They're not going to fly Paul halfway across the world just to train with the team, especially a midweek friendly.

Gatt was certainly deserving of a call up when he received it and he played fairly well in his 1st ever cap against Russia on the road, he's just been railroaded by injuries since and even before his 1st cap.

I agree that Arriola's ceiling is higher than Shea but wake me up when Paul has even close to a season that Brek had in 2011, where he finished 3rd in the MLS MVP voting.

Paul could certainly be on the roster for the US/Mexico friendly in April.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. I think many people have forgotten how fantastic Brek was in that 2011 MLS season. I believe he was about 21 years old when he did that, and Paul Arriola only just turned 19.

If he come out this early Liga MX season and kicked butt, I think he could have gotten invited to the Ukraine friendly (which I believe is our last "expanding the net" friendly before serious WC preparations begin). But he hasn't gotten the playing time opportunities, and thus has slid back in the US pool.

I think we also need to remember that by-and-large posters on this forum over-react to the performance level of young players. We're so excited that they're getting playing time and doing well that we don't really compare them effectively to the competition. Paul may have been doing fine, but he wouldn't be selected for the USMNT right now over other forward/winger options. He just wouldn't be. While he's performing well, he wasn't performing at the level of say..........Agudelo at forward. And based on their performances while healthy, I'd have picked Gatt over him as a winger. A player of his age group, Green, is just training with the USMNT. He's not going to play in the friendly and is unlikely to be on the WC roster (in my estimation).

People also over-react to the "last guy on the roster" callups in Euro camps. A series of coaches now have decided not to call up MLS players to sit on the bench for Euro friendlies. It's how guys like Steve Purdy got USMNT callups in the past. That's how Joseph Gyau, Cody Cropper, etc. got callups this cycle.

Paul will be one for post-2014 if he can continue to advance a little in his career. He needs to be a regular starter in Liga MX, though.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TheRedDrJ ‏@TheRedDrJ Feb 27
    Great to see @marcPelosi warming up with the U21's on the Anfield pitch. It's been a long road back from his broken leg. Welcome back! #YNWA

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/pro-prospects:-brothers-in-spain_aid32622

Kahlil and Solas Wall-Johnson are off the radar. Most soccer fans probably haven’t even heard of the club they play for, but it's one with a rich history of developing players.

The Wall-Johnson brothers are members of CD Covadonga – a club in the Asturias province of Spain. Kahlil is the striker on the U16 team on the club. His younger brother, Solas, is the striker on the U13 team at the club.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Paul Arriola ‏@PaulArriola
    Picking up an injury at the worst time possible. Time for rehab and rest for now

Guido is on the subs bench for Tijuana tonight.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Guido with a five minute runout in a 2-0 win. For a guy who seems to have been around forever, he's still only 19 years old.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    J.R. Eskilson ‏@JREskilson Mar 7
    Emerson Hyndman started for Fulham U18 in a 3-0 win over Chelsea today. Fulham returns to first place in the U18 Premier League table.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Mario Rodriguez scored the opener today for BMG II in their 2-0 win over Alemannia Aachen.

Hararea and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    All this news has brought a smile to my face. I watched these players coming up in So. Calif. Flores played alongside Raul Mendiola at Arsenal FC, and had big rivalries with some other teams. M. Rodriguez was on one of them (Rampage), Guido was on a SD team, Aztecs, and probably the fiercest rival was a team called Italia, which at various times had Esteban Rodriguez (at Xolos), Chris Hernandez (Phila. Union), who later moved to PDA, and Luis Gil, who later moved to Pateadores. So. Calif. representing!

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Josh Deaver ‏@JoshDeaver 7h
    Nice jumping side-volley by Mario Rodriguez on his goal for Borussia Monchengladbach II this weekend. (~5:00) #USMNT

Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  22. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Arriola and Alejandro Guido are starting for Xolos vs. Cruz Azul. Fernando Arce Jr. is on the bench.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Arriola with an assist, Guido had the hockey assist on the goal

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait til the next WC cycle starts :thumbsup:

USAMEX10 repped this.