youth soccer refs: your jerseys

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Barciur, Nov 4, 2012.

1. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - I am able to keep busy enough very near home geographically, and by local I mean those clubs in my backyard so to speak. 2 very large select clubs, 2 even larger rec programs and adult leagues both indoor and outdoor.

2. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    My question is - why would you ever tell parents something like that?

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Green and Yellow are primary in these parts. And if your assigned with the association president, you are in green. This is my first season as USSF. Had old style yellow(ss), red(ss) and black(ls). Very first game red vs yellow, one other ref didnt have black. Other ref let me borrow LS blue, and gave it to me afterword as he had a brand new one at home. After the games that day I purchased Green SS on said ref's advice. Club I work the most wears green/white hoops or black/neon yellowgreen. Most refs go yellow. Wore red maybe once, blue 2 or 3 times.

5. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    To annoy my fellow stuck up referees who fail to remember that you are supposed to fun out there as well as the kids. After doing this for 30 years at all levels as a referee, assignor and assessor I can see why people stroke out.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think some of us find this less amusing not because we we are stuck up, don't look to have fun, or lack a sense of humor but because we fight so much ignorance and rules mythology from parents and coaches that the last thing we like to see is a credible source creating the ignorance -- even when done in humor and when it required gullibility on the part of the listeners.

(And as I think about it, the ignorance and mythoglogy bothers me more when I am coaching or just being a parent and am trynig to break down barriers of ignorance and stupidity than it does when I am reffing and simply ignore it.)

Barciur repped this.
  7. briansnat

briansnat Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have yellow, black and blue, all shortsleeve. At our annual certification meeting a newer ref asked what color alternate he should choose when buying his first one.

The facilitator had everyone (about 100 of us) raise their hands if they had a certain color. Everybody had yellow, about 90 percent had black, roughly 60 percent had blue, about 30 percent had red and only a handful had green. So that's the answer at least around here.

8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    When I work solo, I tend to wear whatever I have worn the least so it feels like I'm getting my money's worth! (And then after conflicts, I end up back in Yellow)