Your Thoughts On The Supporter Groups

Discussion in 'Galaxy Supporters Clubs' started by The Manwich, Aug 23, 2006.

1. The Manwich

The Manwich Member

Sep 28, 2004
    South Gate
    Who said anything about smokebombs?

I know Alexi Lalas once said he'd like to see Smoke in the stadium.

2. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody said LARS needs to be like a certain way. LARS is LARS but its not for everyone. When it comes to smoke bombs i never seen them cart out Legion1908 fans in fact they have a smoke machine set up. So maybe there should be a third supporters group that mixes it up and doesnt stick to EPL style chanting, or Galaxian type drumming all game. A little Diversity never hurts.

3. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you make it sound like they deserved the who are ya chant because they didnt come to you first. So maybe a new supporters group will get that chant thrown at them.

4. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chivas FO actually has a machine ON THE FIELD in front of Legion 1908 that will blow smoke into the stands to "add atmosphere". Not my idea of coolness, but hey, I can keep an open mind.

Now, I have nothing but respect for Legion 1908. They are huge and organized... exactly what you would expect from a group that more a less has been around for decades. I look forward to the day when the Galaxians are the same size.

As for The Riot Squad, we're growing and evolving in a diffrent way. Not better, not worse, just different.

Freedom baby! It's a groovy thing.

tommy mack

5. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember those guys.. and I DON'T remember them supporting the Galaxy. In fact, the only reason LARS goes after people around us is if they are cheering for another team.

In fact, whenever ANYONE around us starts something positive for the G's, we try to join in as well.... this has been proven time and time again. So your line of thought about "Ooooh LARS wants to squash evryone else" is a bit disingenuous.

tommy mack

6. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know that a lot of LARS members don't like the Galaxians, but I've never been able to figure out why. Even though their style is more South American than LARS, it's mostly the hispanic members of LARS who say negative things about them. I'm a LARS member of English descent, so I don't really get the jumping up and down thing, but personally, I think the Galaxians style is pretty cool.

The loudest/proudest I've ever seen the Galaxy supporters was during the first Chivas away game this year, when LARS and the Galaxians joined in each others chants/songs/jumping/whatever was going on - That was a lot of fun.

Sometimes the Galaxians drums are good, and sometimes they're seriously annoying. At the second Chivas away game this year, both groups were in the same section, but LARS had difficulty getting anything going due to being drowned out by one or two Galaxians non stop drumming.

As for the contention that LARS members drink too much - It's not too much different from what I've seen of the Screaming Eagles or Barra Brava. Nor is it much different from what I've seen in England, or what I've heard about other MLS supporters groups such as Section 8.

With the Galaxian's "Family Friendly" style and the LARS "Bad Boy, but not Hooligans" style, I don't think there's much need for another supporters group.

7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It’s kind of odd to write about supporters groups since I probably wouldn’t join one. I just don’t like sitting up close on the endline. That said, I can see the need for another group if the purpose is to try to get the whole stadium involved in the game

The kind of singing the Riot Squad does doesn’t translate well to a big stadium. What they need is to keep the songs simple (“LA…LA,LA,LA, <clap> <clap> …) and put the words up on the Diamond Vision Karaoke style to get people to sing. Hardcore fans will probably react to that badly, but there are good reasons for it.

(1) You can never hear what the Riot Squad is singing. I love the “You can never rest easy…” song, but by the time it makes it to my section we get this:

Patron 1. “What is the Riot Squad singing about?”
    Patron 2. “I’m not sure. Something about Gardner’s fauxhawk being cheesy”

(2) People are sheep. There isn’t a tradition of singing in American sports, so it’s too much to expect most people to burst into song. However, if the Diamond Vision tells them to sing, and it’s not too hard, you might get some buy-in.

(3) I’m in section132 and I don’t think I’ve sat by the same person twice. It’s a losing battle to teach people complicated songs.

8. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's hilarious!

And yeah - it does kinda suck being in the cheap seats, but that makes it easier for the younger fans (20-ish) to be able to afford it and keeps the energy level up.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was there, and my wife sorta sat next to me paying 0 attention to the game... oh well I had a good time, it's a shame we couldn't convince Topper to come over from his Luxury Seats.

10. LA Red

LA Red New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just recently started to sit with LARS in Sec. 138 at the end of last season. Everyone I have met in LARS so far have been very friendly and welcoming. There is no specific way of "joining" LARS. You just have to go and mingle with them in Lot 13 and in Sec. 138. Just like any social gathering you go to, you have to start talking to people to get to know them and vice versa. I have nothing against the Galaxians but like some people, their style is just not my thing. What appealed to me more is the atmosphere and experience LARS brings to the G's matches. LARS has mostly witty and clever chants that are easy to pick up and I love it most when we heckle the opposing teams. Most of the time when LARS are singing, I'm usually laughing my a$$ off because the chants are hilarious.

In any case, both LARS and the Galaxians are there for one reason and one reason only...that is to support our team, the Galaxy. I don't think that one supporter group is better than the other. It's just all personal preference to me. Either way I would rather have the HDC filled with supporter groups cheering as loud as they can for the G's than to have those "fans" who tell my friends and I to watch my mouth because of the kids or to stop banging my thundersticks because it's too loud for Grandpa.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy standing with the riot squad. I have for much of this season. The best times I've had, however, were at the two Chivas away games because the Galaxy supporters were combined into one group and we were loud and passionate about the game in front of us.

The last Chivas away game, however, you could see the tension between the Riot Squad and the Galaxians as the riot squad members were angry at the constant drumming from the Galaxians because it was interfereing with their "Riot Squad...we are here" chant.

I'd love a combined supporters group but both groups are too unwiling to work together.

By the way, the only thing I would change about LARS (OTher then I'd love to see it much larger) is the "Riot squad we are here, fu$K your women and drink your beer chant" that is sung over and over and over and over again.

I personally find it a little embarassing and I know that my wife and several of her girlfriends have been turned off by it so I wonder if it isn't damaging to our goals of growing the group.

That said, I really would like to see the group grow.

12. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm a part time supporter from SD and have NEVER encountered any negative attitude because I make so few games or am new. I've met a bunch of cool people who I consider more than just people I see 4 -6 times a year.

As far as I'm concerned... there's only one place to sit when you're at a game, part time supporter or full time. Period.

13. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's supposed to be "LOVE your women and drink your beer".

Singing/chanting swear words has been an issue that the Galaxy Front Office has brought up with LARS many times.

Most of LARS understands that the HDC is a "Family Friendly" atmosphere, and as long as we're not being offensive, security will leave us alone and let us do our thing.

However, there are obviously still a number of people that just don't get it.

14. fantasyexctasy

fantasyexctasy New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    OC
    Man, im so sick and tired of the family atmospheres. If you want kid friendly, drop the kids off at chucky cheese.

It just sickens me, cuz this is America, and the first rule ever made was the freedome to say watever you want.

Thumbs down to family atmosphere, get a baby sitter and let us 20 year olds have fun.

15. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Someday when tickets are more expensive than the babysitter...

Right now, cheaper to bring them along.

16. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    All that the FO is asking is to not sing/chant swear words in unison. Why?

Because it's LOUD!

Then they've got a whole stadium full of parents complaining.

Other than that, cuss as much as you'd like to.

I do.

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When more people who don't want a family atmosphere are buying tickets then do want a family atmosphere, things will likely change.

In some(if not all, don't know) stadiums in England they have "family" sections.

I'd imagine we're more likely to have a "un-family" section first.

18. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, until you're old enough to buy me a beer, you aren't sitting next to me ;)

19. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear as much as anybody, I just don'e get the "Fu$k your women and drink your beer" thing...

I mean what are we saying? We're tough and we're here to rape your woman? What's cool about that?

20. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lyric is "love your women". Always has been. It's part of the original song "Guiness Boys".

If you listen close, that's what most are singing.

tm

21. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree DirtyDefender.

Most of the supporters groups for most global teams have chapters and divisions that are totally natural.

LARS and Galaxians: we aren't the only fans. Why should there be just two flavors of "real" fan support? There is lots of room for supporters groups of all variety and flavor. There is no blasphemy.

Look Manwitch, if you want a new group, and have the vision for it, just make one. Why bother to ask? If it has any appeal, people will take part and it will create new supporters.

22. Crazy Eights

Crazy Eights New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    I'm glad Manwich brought this up. Its always good to have constructive feedback and see how you are perceived. Hopefully something good will come of this...

Though this forum... but like most BS forums... sometimes goes off topic... I'd like to add one more thing... try and book end my thoughts... and try to stay on topic at the same time.

I respect all members of LARS and Galaxians. My thoughts on the groups, as the inquiry posed by Manwich, are not a reflection of the individual members but the structure of the entity. I don't post on their individual boards because I'm not a "member" and don't stand in their section... I enjoy my season seats in 113 with my wife, friends and others that have become familiar over the seasons.

That being said, I hate to see cheap shots taken at LARS or Galaxians or have those members take personal offence to how others perceive them. How they are perceived is a direct effect of their actions and or structure.

I do however, believe in the proactive DC Model. I have in the past tried to interact with LARS, but it became apparent that a greater stadium wide involvement wasn't what they aspired to. They aspire to be LARS... which is great for LARS. My thoughts lean on the side the "What If" and "So Much Potential" factor. That is where some type of organization comes into play.

LARS, I think more so than the Galaxians, is the natural bridge to stadium wide involvement.

LARS and the Galaxians already exist. Why reinvent the wheel? But when it comes down to it... LARS really has the potential to help create a great stadium wide environment... if only they weren't so adverse to organization.

In a nutshell, people should just accept and enjoy them (lars and galaxians) as is... because I don't think they are set up, willing or able to change into anything else... and why should they.

This... based on my past interaction with LARS, with the Galaxians, talking with people and reading other boards... is my observation and thoughts on our Supporters Groups.

...and again... hopefully something good and unique will come of this...

23. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Look, Crazy Eights, I don't know who you are. I don't think you really understand what the group aspires to, since you aren't there, you don't post on the Riot Squad boards, unless you are taco jones or someone else that has had similar complaints about our "aspirations".

Of course we want to grow. Of course we want the stadium more full of people with passion for the team and are vocal in supporting their team. I, and a lot of people, just don't think structured group membership is the way to go. With structure comes politics. I hardly think we need that. If someone is going to be the leader, how will that happen? Whoever writes the charter gets to be the leader and make the rules? Or will there be an election? Elections breed controversy and bad blood. Haven't you noticed?

What you'll end up with is political parties and partisanship. I REALLY don't think we need that in the RS. I don't put it past some people to use the "democratic process" to single out opponents and have people blacklisted or banned. Who are the people interested in structuring this? What people do they view as counter-productive? If they come to power, what will they do to limit other's views and lay the foundation for what THEY want?

If there is a formal way of establishing membership, then there is a formal way of depriving or stripping someone of membership. If people were complaining about elitism before (and they were wrong in that regard in the first place), then structured membership and political leadership will make elitism official.

I don't want that. The majority of the people that stand in the RS doesn't want it, either. But saying that we don't want structured organization because we prefer to be small and elitist is so ridiculously erroneous.

24. Nines

Nines New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    This thread has become more on LARS than not. In a way that’s a good thing. LARS just seems to generate more interest. Good or Bad.

LARS is to Regular Season Ticket Holders what the Married Guy Who Bought a Chopper is to the Married Guy Who Bought Sears Aluminum Siding for His House.

Every Married Guy wants to buy the Chopper. So why change things…

LARS is LARS. It’s a great respite from ordinary life and a great two plus hours of soccerdon life.

During my new and limited involvement with LARS, I’ve tried to help introduce some “Organization,” etc… but still stay true to the LARS credo... just with a little more direction. Nothing more.

Well, that all went over like a turd in a punchbowl. I accepted that. So now I support LARS in other ways.

LARS is great, but is what it is. Now I figure… what the hell. Why change that. I, too, agree that our supporters groups, at this time, are neither willing nor able to change or grow into anything else. And I agree with the, "Why Should They."

I also think it's probably time for people to stop holding out hope that our supporters groups will adopt a DC outreach/inclusion model and begin thinking of ways to engage the rest of the stadium in learned standard songs ala everywhere else in the world.

I'm willing to help start brainstorming something for the long term, for next season and beyond... if others want to join.

Please feel free to PM me.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to get away from the common viewing doldrums... go stand over with LARS. It will be if nothing else... FUN.

25. Rodneyd444

Rodneyd444 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    La Habra, CA
    Anyone is more than welcome to join the Galaxians in Section 102 and our Pot Luck on the grass in Lot 13 (across from the Fire Station) before the game.

One thing the Box Office needs to do is let (or warn) people know what sections are supporter sections. I have been to all (except Sh*tcago's new stadium) and they have signs letting people know where the supporter sections are located. I have heard people in and around section 102 complaining about the standing and the cheering, I suppose the RS gets the same in and around Section 138 as well. If people were warned that they will be near a supporter section they will have less to complain about if they choose to sit there.