your referee in Indiana and child labor law

Discussion in 'Referee' started by msilverstein47, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  2. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    Looks like an overpass where some one forgot to build the bridge.

3. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    That picture shows both kinds of NJ jughandles - one where you turn right before the intersection in order to make a left turn somewhere else, and the one where you just keep on turning right until it is a left. Any rational person can see that the space occupied by all that would easily fit a roundabout where no one stops and everyone can make whatever turn (or not) they desire.

4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    never seen a thread get derailed in such few posts. now were are talking about BJs and love handles???

5. BigManIntheMiddle

Jan 10, 2013
    Inland Empire, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate roundabouts. people in the US have 0 clue how to navigate them, and in high traffic areas, they are accident magnets.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    There are fewer accidents in roundabouts than in the controlled intersections they replaced, and the seriousness of the accidents is reduced - fatalities are cut by 90%.

8. smitha96

smitha96 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    This is also perhaps an example of why labor laws took hold. It's because most 14-year-old children do not understand the definition of such terms like "independent contractor." They may very well not understand that they have the right to say "no" to an adult tournament assignor the way you or I might. Additionally, the idea of using 13 and 14-year-olds on match after match is something I am less comfortable with than I used to be...

Certainly when I was 13 years old and officiating 10 games all day at a tournament, I was not aware of risks surrounding hydration, UV radiation, and heatstroke as I am now.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  9. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look on the bright side. You only have to change tires on one side of your car.:p

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Yeah? How many adult referees have no clue what being an independent contractor means? We get referees filing unemployment claims, saying that they 'work for USSF.'

YMMV, but around here, the issue is youth referees bugging assignors to do more games per day at summer tournaments, not the other way around. Helicopter parent, in this case, which also isn't that unusual, given the number of times I see youth referee registration forms with what is clearly their parents' e-mail address. I even see forms where the parent says that they signed the form for their child. Yeah, is Johnny really interested in refereeing or is this Mom and Dad's idea? But once you show them the money, it's Katie, bar the door.

Not a youth, but I was just discussing with a major local assignor handling an adult grade 8 who has been quite vociferous that he should be getting more centers than lines, just like [fill in name of referee] who is a grade 5! Yes, he has been told that he's an eight, not a five and that does have assigning implications, but he doesn't want to listen. So, now he's not going to be doing lines in the assignor's leagues...........o_O

Sorry, I've just had my fill recently of referees who feel entitled and have very little to feel entitled about.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Sadly, all too common in all too many parts of life . . .

12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but don't we all feel entitled? It's mostly human nature.

14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    you are right. i feel entitled to what i earn (or what someone chooses to give me out of kindess)

15. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    Some referees feel entitled to be respected when they work really hard and do their best. They last about 5 years tops, and leave when they realize it's not about how much work you put in.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just died a little inside. :(

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is nothing like the truth that truly hits home which causes pain

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Only referees?

19. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    I only have experience with the refereeing world on this subject of inner turmoil.

20. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan and msilverstein47 repped this.