Your nobody called today, and it was you: Laura Brannigan [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by jamison, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    [​IMG]

Okay, I'm the only one on the planet save Footix who remembers the early 80s when Laura Brannigan's pop-whiteness ruled the airwaves, albeit briefly.

She may be best remembered, aside from "Gloria", for giving Michael Bolton the opportunity to (years later) kill a song of hers to ill effect, giving "How am I supposed to live without you?" the ill deserved light of day it needed to reach into the charts and ruin your life.

My father was a big LB fan, inexplicably, so I used to spend a lot of time listening to her while driving around Long Island, looking for traffic jams to get stuck in on the LIE. Anyone on Exits 33-54 tonight, pour a sip out for a homie.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Anyone remember the episode of CHiPs when she was in it with John and Ponch?

3. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    I used to always confuse her with Christie McVie. That's about all I can add to this thread. Sorry.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't "Nobody" by Sylvia, not Laura Branigan?

I liked "Self Control", that was my favorite Laura Branigan song.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    It could be. My bad if I confused that.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Yeah, it was Sylvia, but it's still a great thread title.

Someone once told me that despite really only being known for "Gloria" here, she was a gigantic star in Italy and a few other markets, and would make a killing with a couple-week tour of those places once a year. That's a cool career.

7. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    Or maybe it was Melissa Manchester I used to confuse her with...

8. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Self-Control was in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Ironic considering the game's content. But I did like it better than Gloria

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make that two of us.

"Gloria" is one of those songs that really, really take me back to my early-80's childhood - the first couple years of MTV and all that. Not only did have that absolutely-can't-get-it-out-of-your-head riff that Pulp deftly ripped off for 'Disco 2000', but the made-for-a-buck-eighty-nine-in-the-producer's-basement video was the subject of one of the more amusing I Love The 80's segments.

A sad day.