Your favorite players of all time.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dr. Know, Jun 1, 2011.

1. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why is that? I'm sure everyone has one player that sticks out, one player of their generation that sparks the juices of imagination, memory and nostalgia.;)

2. haihaihai

haihaihai New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    That's true. I thought you meant that it was easy coz every Argentino would pick Diego. I don't think that's the case, at least for those born before Diego came around.

By the way, whenever I hear the word "juices" I feel like somebody just cursed me. Maybe my brain is just too corrupted...

3. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course, heck even some of Diego's "time' would not pick him, it is a personal thing , just like music or art or what kind of wine one likes.;) A juicy subject , no?:D

4. haihaihai

haihaihai New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    You just got on my nerves...

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's a pretty impressive list. You know what all those riber players have in common? None of them have won more Copa Libertadores titles than Juan Roman Riquelme:)

Says the Argentino that amongst that long list of gallinas didn't even mention Diego:rolleyes:

That's easy, Ricardo Bochini. My godfather used to take me and a friend to Independiente matches as kids and it was through El Bocha that it all made sense and I fell in love with the game.

My list of some of my favorites:

1. Diego
    2. Riquelme
    3. Bochini
    4. Passarella
    5. Teo Cubillas
    6. Gerd Muller
    7. Zenden
    8. Beckenbauer
    9. Rivaldo
    10. Palermo
    11. Redondo
    12. Manteca Martinez
    13. Guille
    14. Chicho Serna
    15. Chino Benitez

Not a lot of European players since I really grew into football before cable TV and the internet and obviously a club bias but with that said I think a pretty balanced list.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fixed your your post ;)

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks, night cap + long day = glaring omission. Rep coming your way.

8. haihaihai

haihaihai New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Chicho Serna...very few players I hated with as much passion.

For me, Diego was the best. Passarella was the most amusing defender I had ever seen. Enzo was a poet, as was Bochini. Beckenbeuer was an exotic foreigner while Cruyff (I felt) was born in the wrong side of the world. Zico was to me what Messi is to most today...ruthlessly efficient and statistically breathtaking (while being a once in a lifetime footballer). And Laudrup, I always felt, was born in the wrong time.

But nothing beats the breathtaking stuff that Rene used to do. This fecking illusion that I always had that I saw Diego across me everytime I went to watch that enchanting Huracan team, certainly intensified by the fact that Diego saw more of Rene in himself than Bocha or Rivelino.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you talking about Guillermo Barros Schelotto? I've got him mixed up with Ezequiel Schelotto, who is an Italo-Argentine who has played for Italy in the U/21s squad. He is at Catania now.

Yes, he scored in the 1996 CL Final. It was a bit scrappy but he did score from a tight angle and then he topped it off with my favourite celebration.

I think it's hilarious! I also think it's cunning. He seems to get away with it.

10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unless you were a fan of his club I can easily see why you and others hated the guy. Tough SOB that's for sure.

11. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Again not trying to be a pain, but I find it weird that a Juve fan doesnt put ADP in his favorite 20 players ! (Not questioning your allegiance here). I know it is your list but other than his failures with the Azzuri what else there is to not like him?! ADP is your typical "Club legend" so I think you are being harsh on him. And since you like tongue celebrations and characters ADP fit it too :D

[​IMG]

12. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    1.Alessandro Del Piero
    2.Nicolae Dobrin.
    3.Diego Armando Maradona
    4.Michael Laudrup
    5.Antonio Cassano
    6.Ronaldo( phenomenon)
    7.Ronaldinho

13. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    8.Andres Iniesta
    9.Lionel Messi
    10.Zinedine Zidane

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have noticed that nobody has really put Cristiano Ronaldo on their list.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's one of those guys that I can admire one minute yet I'll hate him for something. He would be in my Top 25 or 30 favourite players.

I also forgot to add Cannavaro.

16. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Don't think that's an indictment on his playing ability, just it's hard to have him down as one of your favourites when he acts like such a complete douche the majority of the time.

17. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Amen and to be honest I just don't like watching him play either, in fact when i see his boyish face wimper at a ref i want to climb through my screen and punch the guy .

18. haihaihai

haihaihai New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I find Cristiano's playing ways curiously amazing. He doesn't really look awkward with the ball, but neither does he look completely comfortable with it despite being a fella that's supposed to be a 'ball-hogger.' Very few players can be as destructive as him though, or as aware of his abilities and limitations (at times..eh).

19. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    I have been saying that since his manu days, he doesnt really look natural especially when doing them stepovers, I call his "blenders" as he does way too fast that he doesnt sell it well to the defenders, compare it to the brazilians whom you sense that they really get into a rhythm and dance. Likewise with his other attributes, he seems to me a player who tries too much like shooting from 40 yards etc.

20. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Maradona, Romario, Platini, van Basten, Zico, Paulo Roberto Falcao, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Pasarella, Batistuta, Ardilles, Socrates, Eder, Careca, Júnior, Conti, Cabrini, Valderrama, Gascoigne, Iniesta,Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, del Piero, Xavi and so on and so on ....:)

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    CRonaldo is like a machine. He does what he does and he does it well. His crazy goal tally will tell. But he never seems to play as much with his team mates like Messi does. Messi plays 1-2's constantly, he plays through balls constantly, Ronaldo stands there with his typical pose, hands on the hip mad, when he doesn't get the play he wants. But there is no denying that he can score at will when he does get it.

leadleader repped this.
  22. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    no-one's mentioned Tino Asprilla - one of my favourite players ever

23. police

police New Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Pele, Zidane, Klinsman, Owen, Ronaldino, CR7, Ibra, Bergkamp

24. Il Gigante Buono

Il Gigante Buono New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    John Charles.

There are others like Maradona, Bremner, Socrates, Zico, Messi, Buffon, Totti, Giles, van Basten, Del Piero, etc who I've always admired.

25. United_xxx

United_xxx Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Thailand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. Zico
    2. Maradona
    3. Cantona
    4. Andy Cole
    5. Roy Kean
    6. Ronaldo (fat)