Your experience with the parents

Discussion in 'Coach' started by strikerbrian, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was a board member of ayso for 17 years. While at the same time coaching travel soccer at all levels. I also coached very young rec teams. I wanted to make my practices fun for the players and for the parents so they would want to bring them the kids to practice. We would even have grandparents to our practices and games. I did not want that because I loved the parents and grandparents I just want to help make sure someone wanted to take the kids.

Because we succeeded the kids got better faster. So we always did pretty well in games.

One of the best letters I ever got was from a grand parent. Telling me that their daughter and he ex husband were getting along far better now that I got both of them to see their son play then they had before. That was because I knew their situation and made a conscious effort for both the mother and father to have a good time at our practices and games.

The goal was always to get the kids to practices and games.

rca2 repped this.
  2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    All the players I know play soccer because it is fun. They don't play because they love to win. When the match is through, it is nice to be the winner, but they play because they love the game. Maybe there are some professionals who simply play for the money and hate the game, but if so I doubt that they began with that attitude. Certainly for amateurs, we should not lose sight of the fact that it is a game and it is supposed to be fun to play. If winning were all that matters, why don't players get excited about winning the pre-game coin toss?

USYSA has a whole area devoted to parent education that you might find helpful:
    http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/parents/