Your 2014 US World Cup Line-up

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GrandaddyFranco, Jun 26, 2010.

1. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    ]___________________Davies___________Altidore_______________________

_____Zahavi_________Lletget_______Bradley____________Donovan______

____________Garza___________Opara__________Ream_________Alston____________

____________________________Howard________________________________

Subs

Gale
    Gonzales
    Fraklin
    Spector
    Mwanga
    Pontius
    Holden
    Edu
    Demspsey
    Hamid
    Guzan

2. Heroes of Pretoria

Jun 23, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about this Jack McInerney kid? I've heard a lot of good things about him.

Youth team followers/Union fans - thoughts?

3. Heroes of Pretoria

Jun 23, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good short list from an ESPN Insider article a friend e-mailed to me:

GK - Bill Hamid, 19, D.C. United
    The athletic Virginia native is often compared to a young Tim Howard and for good reason. In May, he became the youngest keeper in MLS history to register a win -- beating Howard's record by four days.

D - Ike Opara, 21, San Jose Earthquakes
    The Wake Forest product and former U.S. U-20 World Cup participant has already made a huge impact in his rookie season, scoring three goals in eight games. The 6-foot-2 center back's silky style is reminiscent of Eddie Pope's.

D - Tim Ream, 22, New York Red Bulls
    An early frontrunner for the MLS Rookie of the Year award, Ream has suffered through a few concentration lapses that led to goals against his team. Still, his tidy feet and pinpoint long passing from the back makes him a can't-miss pick.

D - Kevin Alston, 22, New England Revolution
    The second-year right back has Marvell Wynne-type wheels combined with superior skill and soccer instincts. A hamstring strain cost the former U-17 standout a chance at a first cap back in January.

D - Omar Gonzalez, 21, LA Galaxy
    The giant (6-foot-5) center back was MLS ROY in 2009. He needs to improve his passing and ball skills to compete at the international level but has gained invaluable experience playing alongside former USMNT defender Gregg Berhalter under coach Bruce Arena.

D - George John, 23, FC Dallas
    This rugged center back has played every minute for FCD during his second MLS campaign, and coach Schellas Hyndman raves about his progress every chance he gets.

D - Zack Lloyd, 22, FC Dallas
    The speedy Oklahoma-born right back has started eight games for a team averaging less than one goal-against per game -- pretty impressive for a rook.

M - Sam Cronin, 23, San Jose Earthquakes
    Preki might end up regretting his decision to ship Cronin from Toronto to the West Coast. The defensive-minded midfielder was a regular for the Reds as a rookie, earning a rep as one of the best two-way players in MLS.

M - Michael Stephens, 21, LA Galaxy
    The highly skilled Bradenton product spent four years at UCLA before turning pro. When he wasn't playing college ball, he was toiling for the Galaxy's U-20s under Arena's watchful eye. That has helped make his transition to the first team a seamless one.

M - Blair Gavin, 21, Chivas USA
    After starring for Akron's powerhouse program, he scored a sensational goal in May to open his MLS account. He's already making Goats fans forget about Sacha Kljestan, who bolted for Europe last month.

M - Luis Gil, 16, Real Salt Lake
    2014 might come too soon for the super-skilled Gil. He hasn't played a minute for the defending champs yet, but that's not stopping some from calling him U.S. Soccer's Next Big Thing.

M - Brek Shea, 20, FC Dallas
    The 6-foot-3 winger can also play up top, and he has a flamboyant swagger seldom seen in attack-minded Americans. We're not just talking about his hair, either.

F - Chris Pontius, 23, D.C. United
    Neither the biggest nor the fastest, Pontius is a hard-working striker with skills, brains and a penchant for scoring highlight-reel goals. Think Joe-Max Moore, folks.

F - Jack McInerney, 17, Philadelphia Union
    The youngster is getting top-shelf coaching in Philly from former U.S. assistants Peter Nowak and John Hackworth. He's been compared to a young Landon Donovan. Enough said.

4. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for at least two "green card wild cards". In particular, an utterly dominating striker previously unknown, a teen hailing from a nearly uninhabited island, whose mom or dad was in the Peace Corps. :eek:

5. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Mwanga to be a starter in 2014. By then he's going to be really, really good. I think the future for our forwards looks good. Now for left back and right back, that's a whole different story.

6. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like this, EM. I'd likely put Dempsey, Holden as starters, and Bedoya as a sub. But I'm all for mixing in youth with a core of experience, which is what you've done. A new defensive line is a must, I agree. Edu and Gooch are really tough to exclude, too. I think I'd include them.

One question, and apologies if it's been brought up elsewhere, but if we have so many quality midfielders and so few quality forwards, why do we not simply play one forward (Jozy or Charlie or ?, etc.) like Spain and Holland did (atleast that was what I saw on the starting graphic on TV) with Villa and Van Proese? Or even convert an offensive-minded fielder with a scorer's mentality into forward. I wonder this because sometimes it feels like we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Is Forward such a rigidly defined/specialized position that this can't be done?

7. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I watched the Union match a few days ago. Jack came in in the 2nd-half and he had a rough time. Maybe it was just one of those games, but he didn't look too good. I've also heard good things, though, and the two announcers had glowing words for him.

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He gets into great positions to do score. (Best I have seen since McBride at Fulham) He just needs some time to adapt to a more physical game where is even more small than he was at the u-17 level. 4-5 games and he may start a Mwanga like progression as a young striker.

9. CREN

CREN BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Union fan. He has potential, and is impressive at 17, but I don't see him in the National team picture for the 2014 cycle. Danny Mwanga on the other hand, if he becomes a citizen within the next two years (which he can), I can see him on the roster.

He's by far not the fastest striker, but he has knack for goal, and can finish.

10. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, from my point, i think:
    1-from this 2010 team, feor me a very good team( although unbalanced) i would keep:bradley, edu, benny, altidore, howard, dempsey, donovan, guzan, perhaps torres , spector.if gooch will play in milan i would chose him. i do not mean that they should be starters, but
    be in ​
    thenrooster.starters should be bradley, donovan( the leader), altidore. edu has the quality to be a starter, but i hope we can manage to find even better players at his position.
    2- defense be must improve radically- we need better laterals than cherundolo, bocanegra-and bornstein to be an option must improve dramatically.
    3-if gooch plays in milan he can be an option, otherwise we must find better options.
    4- a midfield with bradley, edu, donovan( the brain), benny with dempsey torres in the bench is already a very strong one, but i really think we could improve it, with better options in the place of benny and edu to be developed
    5-altidore alreadiy satisfies me as a very good attack player, but in four years i think, with wise coaches, he can improve vastly to become a world level atack player. davies , if he recovers, will be a satisfactory aditon, but i really hope we will be able to find even better options.and ADU must brought back to the team
    6- so we will already have in bradley, donovan, altidore outstanding players, with a good goalkeeper, in edu, benny, spector ,very solid starters, with gooch still an option,with class in the bench with dempsey, torres.and adu.
    7- the gaps are: left back, the centrals- we can find perhaps an even better right back than spector,v and although benny is a very good player i really think we are able to find a better player to that position. in the attack, although davies is a good player we should be able to find a better player to start
    8-so , IMHO, 2014 will be the first time the USA will field a very strong team, in ervery position, with proper size, with vast improvement in technical and
    tactical aspects, and if we do not reach at least the quarters i will be very surprised
    9- we must find a new coach to refresh our ideas

11. Clichyftw

Clichyftw New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. JohnMercy22

JohnMercy22 New Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Thanks...that's a good resource...

13. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya thats a nice list, except for the fact that they supposedly rank the players and their chances of making the World Cup in 2014.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this quote from Herc:

So glad that he got a chance to go to a World Cup and play. He knows it was his one shot and he made it. Way to go Herculez.

From a good article about the rise of the Latino player in the US:

http://www.kcwizards.com/news/2010/08/us-intl-gomez-sees-big-future-american-soccer

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    ^ Herc is such class, love that guy and glad he got to play in a WC.