Your 2014 US World Cup Line-up

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GrandaddyFranco, Jun 26, 2010.

1. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your method for assessing players?

2. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me to accept your assessment I'd have to let you control the variables. I do believe bob's system sucks because it's too defensive in the midfield but the guys in the midfield were largely responsible for getting us to the knockout stage. Name a defender or forward that scored. If you want a mid to pick on then take Rico.

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could there still be Michael Bradley haters after this World Cup? He was incredible. I love how much he's progressed over the past 2 years. By 2014 he will be playing for a big club and be the star on the USMNT.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bradley is rated as the 5th best midfielder by Castrol rankings. The kid is good, and it isnt nepotism. If his last name was Gonzalez or Williams, there would not be an argument.

5. JohnMac

JohnMac New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Salinas, CA
    Here's hoping we get a coach who understands the US needs to play 4-5-1

and I'm assuming it will be a veteran team since Jones would be the oldest field player at 33:

------------------Howard----------------

Spector--------Gooch--------Goodson-------Bornstein

--------------------Edu/Jones-----------------------

-----------------Bradley---------Dempsey--------

Donovan--------------------------------------Davies

----------------------Altidore-------------------

With no spots safe beyond Howard, Donovan and maybe Dempsey

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ This

7. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Charlie Davies be 100% recovered? especially as far as speed is concerned

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Americans had the attitude of easily giving up...then we wouldn't have even made the 2nd round of the World Cup. The collective brain of the USMN&A board at Big Soccer may have failed the first time around, but does that mean we shouldn't strive to do better?

9. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    That second link you posted had Galarcep's predictions from 2006 (about 2010). Here are his forwards:

"(Eddie Johnson, Lee Nguyen, Kenny Cooper, Preston Zimmerman)"

10. rusty weaponz

rusty weaponz New Member

May 27, 2010
    Now that I think about it, it's difficult to resolve this,

if we have a new coach,

would they bring other players in the mix who
    had been left off the radar since Bradley became coach,
    and would we see a resurgence in their play when given the opportunity

(i.e. Marvell Wynne, Cory Gibbs, etc.)

11. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of those old predictions are so unbelievably incorrect. Also, some of you people are posting some ridiculous lineups. To be honest, I have a strong feeling that the USSF wants to hire a new coach that will praise attacking football. My guess is that yes, it's going to be Jurgen Klinsmann. Thus, he will probably enforce a very attacking 4-3-3. This is my guess, because much of this crop will be the same.

----------Howard---------
    ?-------Onyewu-----Goodson----Bornstein
    ---torres/feilhaber------bradley---------edu---
    --davies-------------altidore------------adu---

Everyone on this forum tends to hate on Freddy Adu but I still have some hope in him, for Christ's Sake he is only 21 right now!

12. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the 2014 roster in my head right now.

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, Will Bates, Juan Agudelo

MIDFIELDERS: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Jose Torres, Benny Feilhaber, Stuart Holden, Mikkel Diskerud

DEFENDERS: Oguchi Onyewu, Jonathan Spector, Jonathan Bornstein, Tim Ream, Greg Garza, Gale Agbossoumonde, Omar Gonzalez, Kevin Alston

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Matt Pickens

The most interesting part of the next cycle could be how Donovan and Dempsey are used as they start to age. Donovan, who relies on pace and stamina, may be much a much less effective player by 2014.

Dempsey, on the other hand, is more of a wild card. Overall, I thought Clint had a pretty disappointing tournament. But in the Ghana game, he was the only player who seemed to cause problems with the ball at his feet. In the second half, he and Feilhaber were pulling the strings and the team was much more dangerous.

This brings me to my question: Is Dempsey somebody a team can built around? We know he doesn't rely on pace, and he'll only get smarter as the years go on, so could he be used as a central playmaker behind the striker(s)? I'd be interested to hear others' takes.

Has he played this role already when listed as a "forward"? Is it even practical to use a player in this role anymore, and if so, shouldn't it be Freddy Adu?

Tired of playing devil's advocate with myself, someone else take over.

13. RaveGreenFC2009

Mar 29, 2009
    Bothell
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where to place Donovan and Dempsey for the next cycle is a going to be a tough decision. Given they will be in the early 30s, could they possibly be both moved up to forward since they won't then have to worry about tracking back that much for defense and could save their stamina for making attacking runs?

Also, given the depth in the midfield vs forward, could the US switch to a 4-5-1 (almost have enough depth to make the 3-6-1 work....naahh :))? It could still be an offensive formation with two attacking mids and it isn't like the second foward is doing much for us right now.

14. aupsite's acht

Jul 1, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will never understand the anti-Bradley coalition. He's definitely become one of the best young midfielders in the world (no I don't think that's hyperbole) and is arguably the most complete player I have seen for the US, ever.

Donovan might be on the backside of his physical prime by 2014, but, at 32, definitely still be a very valuable contributor.

What will really be interesting is how this experience, and the development over the next four years affects Edu, Feilhaber, Torres and Holden. One can reasonably expect they will be superior players in '14, making a midfield that is already considered our strenth, even stronger.

At forward, Davies will presumably be healthy (though still an unknown until he proves he can come back from a devastating injury) and Altidore will be 24 (and my money would be on him to have taken the biggest leap forward by 2014). We do need to identify much sooner, a third forward (and possibly two if Davies does not return to form) who can contribute as a sub, a change of pace guy, or as cover for injury/cards.

Defensively, there will likely be great turnover. Gooch was the rising star pre-injury, and hopefully will return to the picture. Spector and Bornstein (who played what I thought has been his best for the nats during the wc) will certainly continue to be in the picture. We're going to need to see someone step up and own the outside back positions, and some new CBs need to fill the void left by Demerit and Boca (Boss/Gonzales/Opara/Marshall?)

Between the pipes, no reason to think Howard will not still be there.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about concentrating on the next gold cup line up first?

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Considering Bornstein isn't a Winger I feel to see how this adds up to him being bad. He played extremely well both games and is still relatively young. If he can improve his ball skills a bit he can easily be a good player for us.

17. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    so you don't think arguably our best player this WC who was only 22 will be our starter when he's 26? What does Bradley have to do to earn the love of this countries fans? I think he should start by changing his name to Adu and getting some plastic surgery ala Face Off.

18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    LOL this is utterly ridiculous. Please delete your account on here.

19. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that different than Friday, depending on health/form and age:

Howard
    Spector/Dolo Onewyu Boca Bornstein
    Donovan Edu Bradley Dempsey
    Altidore Davies

Benny, Holden, Gomez? off the bench...Findley to play a role in the unlikely event Bradley is still coaching :)

20. El_Equpiodetodos

El_Equpiodetodos New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Great lets hire another lousy coach, so that we lose to Ghana again (yet praise him, as he has no fault in the matter)...should be loads of fun......

21. USA_PK

USA_PK New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ...........Altidore - Davies

Donovan - Bradley - Gil - Dempsey

Bornstein - Gonzalez - Opara - Lichaj

........................Howard

Edu, Holden, Kljestan, Gyau, Lletget, Renken...hopefully Zahaviv.

Just went with a bunch of young guys, and I'm a new fan to soccer so don't be afraid to tell me I'm wrong. I'm still learning as I go.

22. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not wrong, per se, but we're a long way from 2014. If you read the predictions from 2006, no one mentions Altidore or Torres or Holden, and everyone expects Adu to start. Injuries could also intervene.

Maybe better for all of us to focus on the 2011 Gold Cup.

23. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Dempsey in the Middle, Donovan at right back? :D

24. RaveGreenFC2009

Mar 29, 2009
    Bothell
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not stop at right back. Donovan's scored 40+ goals, so he probably knows how to stop them as well. Donovan as our #1 GK! :)