Your 2014 US World Cup Line-up

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GrandaddyFranco, Jun 26, 2010.

1. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I am hoping we see Mix Diskerud develop in time for 2014

2. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our squad this year included Buddle, Findley and Gomez. No one could have predicted that three months ago, let alone four years ago. While it can be fun to predict these thugs, don't take it too seriously. Were all going to be wrong,

3. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, ????, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Holden, Bornstein?, Opara, Gonzalez, ????, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Not going to try to predict the possibility lesser-known or some of the younger players around now. Just basing this 11 off of players I've seen frequently. Possible forwards is tough, as are LB and RB. Seems to be a good number of possibilities for both outside back positions, while the forward positions is just tough because there aren't that many good looking possibilities right now. Davies is good but who knows how he'll recover, and he'll be 28 by 2014 too. Not too old but not young either.

4. rusty weaponz

rusty weaponz New Member

May 27, 2010
    Strikers: Altidore(unless we have another new star emerge), Davies

Midfielders: Donovan, Feilhaber(defensive), ?(offensive) Dempsey/Beasley

Defenders: Bocanegra, Demerit, Onyewu, ?

GK: Howard

5. otkeeper

otkeeper Member

Jan 25, 2003
    LB,NJ,US
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is why i was interested if any1 had a link to a "2010 U.S. Lineup" thread right after the ghana loss in '06

6. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. Did anyone have a 16 year old Altidore on their radar? Or an 18 year old Bradley? Or Jay Demerit? Clark? Edu?

I'm sure everyone had Landon, Dempsey, Howard, Gooch. Some probably had Dolo. Anyone not have Adu?

7. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    but does anyone have that link?

8. AmericanLegend

AmericanLegend New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd throw Edgar Castillo into the discussion at fullback; it's certainly easy to see him getting a shot at left back given the instability there.

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :DYou make me laugh

10. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Davies, Altidore, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Bradley, Donovan, Bornstein, ?, ?, Spector, Guzan[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

It is pretty similar to our current lineup...

11. owngoalpoacher

Oct 29, 2009
    Here's a projected 23-man roster for 2010 from July 2006. Folks in red didn't make the cut.

Ricardo Clark was one of the first eight guys to miss the cut. Jozy Altidore and Edson Buddle were listed among a group of 34 "other bubble battlers". Goodson, Bornstein, Holden, Torres, Edu, Findley and Gomez were nowhere to be found. Neither, for that matter, was Charlie Davies.

There's a lot of time between now and Brazil 2014, and I'm excited to see how this cycle develops.

12. owngoalpoacher

Oct 29, 2009
    Here's where the guys on the 2010 were in the season before the 2006 World Cup. Also FWIW, Charlie Davies was at Boston College and Jermaine Jones was at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Howard (Manchester United, England)
    Hahnemann (Reading, England)
    Guzan (Chivas USA, MLS)

Bocanegra (Fulham, England)
    Cherundolo (Hannover 96, Germany)
    DeMerit (Watford, England 2nd division)
    Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium)
    Bornstein (Chivas USA, MLS)
    Spector (Charlton Athletic, England 2nd division)
    Goodson (FC Dallas, MLS)

Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS)
    Dempsey (New England Revolution, MLS)
    Bradley (SC Heerenveen, Netherlands)
    Edu (Maryland, NCAA)
    Feilhaber (Hamburger SV II, Germany 3rd division)
    Clark (Houston Dynamo, MLS)
    Torres (Pachuca, Mexico)
    Beasley (PSV, Netherlands)
    Holden (Houston Dynamo, MLS)

Altidore (New York Red Bulls, MLS)
    Buddle (New York Red Bulls, MLS)
    Findley (Oregon State, NCAA)
    Gomez (Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS)

More than half of the lineup was US-based in 2006, and two were in college. Ten were playing in Europe, but only 7 in a top division.

13. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Davies, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Dempsey, ???, Gonzalez, Opara, Lichaj, Guzan[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Why not? I'll be surprised if 4 of these guys are even starting.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 30 seconds, Bradley did more for US Soccer than every one of those players have done in their careers except for Donovan and he did more in those 30 seconds than Claudio Reyna did in every cap he ever had.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Spector is going to get faster/better?

16. owngoalpoacher

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah. It's crazy reading some of the stuff in there about Donovan playing himself into a "situational sub" role.

17. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the guy with "Adu" in his name:rolleyes:

Also, does Bob Bradley coach Mönchengladbach too? I must have missed that.

18. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Here is my guess for the potential 23:
    GK (3): Howard, Guzan, Hamid
    DF (8): Franklin, Onyewu, Cameron, Edu, Alston, Gonzalez, Spector, Ream
    MF (8): Bradley, Feilhaber, Bone, Dempsey, Mcdonald, Torres, Holden, Kljestan
    FW (4): Dononvan, Davies, Adu, Altidore

19. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    All you Bradley Jr fans...I just don't see it. Many are so quick to blame the marginal USMNT WC midfield performance on Clark, Edu, everyone but Bradley. Can anyone honestly say we beat any of these teams in midfield play? Bradley Jr played every minute of every game where the USMNT struggled in midfield.

The Brits, Slovs, and today Ghana pretty much did what they pleased in the midfield. Loss of the midfield, often fatal, is characterized by frequent longballs by pressured defenders (count em in today's game) and lack of offensive consistency.

I'm not saying Bradley Jr played terrible. He did about as well as he could. Against skilled, quick midfields, Bradley - and the other USMNT midfielders - are painfully marginal, with the possible exception of Torres who doesn't play for Bradley Sr.

2014 will hopefully reveal a considerably more skilled USMNT midfield.

20. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you're being serious then know this: Michael Bradley was one of the best if not the best overall player for the nats in the world cup.

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you the team will be loaded with Texans. Dempsey, Torres, Cooper, Gonzalez, Shea, etc...

22. gators35

gators35 New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I hope not because we will suck and I'm from Texas. Shea, Cooper and Gonzalez suck. Cooper is the most overrated player I've every seen. Next is Shea.

23. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I am serious. While you are entitled to your opinion, for me to accept your assessment either:
    (a) Bradley was great, the midfield was great, and there were other causes for heavy defensive pressure and offensive inconsistency
    (b) Bradley was great, but the other midfielders were so bad the US couldn't control the middle (even tho the great Bradley Jr. played there for 360 minutes)

Nope. The US midfield = marginal, Bradley included.