Youngsters in MLS 2012

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Werdman89, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea was tracking back on a break away and Saborio felt the pressure and cut and Shea's momentum carried him away.

It was really a pretty innocuous sequence.

2. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    It was all Shea could do...running back at full speed with a lot of space to close down, the best he can do is pressure. If he slows down so that he can stay on Saborio, he won't close down in time. If he goes hard at Saborio, he risks a PK. If he slides, he also risks a PK.

My frustration here is this is clearly a poorly constructed attempt to denegrate Shea, who is suffering an Altidore-ian backlash at the moment (those prospects whom we have not seen yet must be better, the one's we have seen have recognizable weaknesses so we are no longer interested in them).

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A time-honored BigSoccer tradition.

Even guys like Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley have gone through this process.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think leppercut was trying to denigrate Shea.

5. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this argument, both sides are sort of right. Shea did do all he could. He ran back and didn't commit a foul in the box, while pressuring Saborio into taking a bad touch. However, he was beaten. But that wasn't because Shea wasn't defending well, it was because Saborio made a very good move to cut back behind Shea who was running at full speed and couldn't change direction. No one else is giving Saborio any credit.

6. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like shea and I wasn't just posting that to denigrate him i posted it because it was an important part of the match. Yeah shea did well to track back, but like you said he got beaten by sabo(whether it was because of momentum or whatever). That is all I said.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Shea is vying to replace Michael Bradley as the new US lightning rod, where the middle ground ceases to exist. Anyway back to the U-20s what is going on this week huh? Salgado suddenly starting and Top getting minutes. It's like somebody is reading our pleas.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With Rodriguez getting injured last night..........it would also appear that recent US U20 Moises Hernandez might be the primary backup at fullback.

[Either him or recent supplemental draftee Alex Lee]

FCD is just having one of those years that clubs run into once in a while. With injuries, suspensions, etc. they're really digging deep into the roster. That's really the reason you're seeing kids like Leyva, Top, etc. getting playing time.

10. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Leyva´s debuted already?

11. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

Did OK.

He may see more time now that Rodriguez is out (along with Villar and Ferreira). FCD had Rodriguez, really a left back, playing in the midfield due to a shortage of personnel. With him out, I'd imagine Leyva will at least be on the bench now.

Of course, he's not US-eligible (and never will be).................so he's not really a concern for these boards.

Top, Ulloa, and Hernandez are. [And Sanchez I guess, who could do a one-time switch to the US. But that's unlikely.]

13. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thanks Clint. :) Last off-topic question, what about Luna? Has he progressed? Regressed?

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hard to say.

He was the leading scorer in the reserve league (for all of MLS) last year.

And is supposedly doing well in the reserve league this season.

However, he hasn't gotten much of a chance with the first team yet. It's impossible to know whether Jonathan Top has passed Ruben in the depth chart. We'll see. But Jonathan did get playing time over Ruben this past week.

Several things to keep in mind, though. FCD switched from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2, giving more playing time to a forward. Also, Perea was just waived. So the starting forwards right now are Blas Perez and young Colombian Fabian Castillo. After that the only forwards on the roster are the consistently underwhelming Trinidadian Scott Sealy..............and the youngsters Ruben Luna and Jonathan top. So those two kids are very close to the first team.

If you haven't seen Ruben in a while, he's a big kid now. He's a bulldozer.

Edit: Ugh.........just found out Andrew Jacobson is out too. If you want to see Bryan Leyva, FCD's next game is probably your chance.

15. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's this no posts on a SATURDAY? step your game up BS. Interestingly Top is not on the bench for FCD and according to mlssoccer.com they don't even have a full bench.

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sealy and Luna are on the bench.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jacobson ended up being able to play................which was a suprise to me.

I don't get Schellas' bench at all.

Richard Sanchez
    Hernand Pertuz
    Matt Hedges
    Bobby Warshaw
    Bruno Guarda
    Ruben Luna
    Scott Sealy

THere was no semblance of a creative midfielder or winger to be found as a substitute option!! Why not have Leyva as a bench option instead of Bobby Warshaw?

Or how about a fullback? How about Moises Hernandez instead of Hedges? Do you really need two centerbacks on the bench?

FCD has its wires crossed. They have the best academy in the country (according to the USSF rankings anyway), and have signed 6 homegrowns. But at the same time they have a head coach who's as much of a "veteran's coach" as there is in the league outside of Bruce Arena.

If you're going to place a priority on developing youngsters, it has to be a priority up and down the organization. Liek Barcelona has. (not comparing quality, simply the model) THey develop young players, and they use them. THey don't go out and sign mediocre forwards from Trinidad & Tobago like Scott Sealy, and use them instead.

1 person likes this.
  18. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    good point, barca never brought in veteran strikers like larsson, henry, ibra, kluivert, or stoichkov. they just played their own young guys instead.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does Scott Sealy remind you more of Patrick Kluivert or of Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

It's a tough question.

20. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I see Sealy more as Stoichkov in his prime...but more dynamic and a better finisher. :D

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The difference being that Scott Sealy can't actually score goals. He's scored 3 pro goals since 2008.

Why would you sign & play him over Ruben Luna and Jonathan Top? Ruben Luna was the leading scorer in the reserve league last year (not just for FCD, but the whole reserve league). He's shown that he at least deserves a shot at a role with the club. He's not a 17 year old prospect anymore. He's 20.

If you're not going to give these kids chances, why did you sign them in the first place? Just roster filler?

22. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Might speak to the quality of reserve league play as much as anything. I think he would have received a lot more meaningful games at SMU. It will be interesting to see how FCDs college homegrowns do.

23. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Luna situation of the no mans land these kids are in. LOAN them out to play whether domestic or overseas. it can't be going 3 years playing sporadically. training is good but must be capped off with meaningful games. if I were Luna I would leave, screw the loyalty this is your career.

24. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salgado starts in some Canadian Cup game thing. Rowe and wenger not in the 18 supposedly.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the Canadian Championship. Winner gets into the CONCACAF CHampion's league and get to sell Canadian Champion t-shirts. Vancouver have an advantage in that Edmonton is their western rival and they meet the winner of Toronto-Montreal