Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In yesterday's Whitecaps-Rapids reserve game, the only USYNT eligible player to appear was Rapids 94 Dillon Serna, and he only got 16 minutes. No Omar Salgado. :(

In the Galaxy's reserve game with LA Blues, Sorto went 85 mins, and academy 95 Justin Dhillon went 35 min off the bench. Mendiola played for 19 mins, too, but of course, he's not American.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Mendiola is a 94 correct?

So we are possibly missing out on a player who can contribute to U-20's?

Is he really 5'5" 125lbs?

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point only Mexico is missing out.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    One thing you will notice is that the style preached to first team and reserves under Olsen is not what is taught to academy and there is a disconnect. The best thing that could happen is Olsen to get fired and get a real experienced coach who can really describe the total futbol system that DCU is proposing as their new pathway. I don't think people realize the extent of Silooy's stature and he is more qualified to coach first team than Olsen.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yedlin not in the 18 for Seattle vs SKC tonight, Mikey Lopez is on the bench. Not sure if DeAndre is hurt or if they're just looking to give him a day off, Sounders also play on Saturday.

Gil starting for RSL.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is suspended due to his red card against Philadelphia.

Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    D'oh brain fart

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Acosta and Zimmerman on the bench for Dallas

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil got subbed out. I thought he was probably the best midfielder in the game. Wish Kreis would start Velasquez instead of the useless old Gravaboy.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Najar was a pretty decent signing for a HG player, and so was Bill Hamid. Unfortunately, Najar will never play for the US, and it's looking like Hamid won't either, unless they fix their screen-door-on-submarine defense, pronto.

As you say, there are more promising kids coming through the pipeline, so we'll have to wait and see how well the team evaluates, and how well the kids perform.

11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Omar Salgado undergoing surgery for the third time on his right foot, this time to repair a tendon that he re-injured during training. He will miss the U20 World Cup.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    This x50

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    There first two signings were dream signings. Andy Najar was rookie of the year and got the club a strong transfer fee from Anderlecht. Bill Hamid became a starter within a season and became a US National Pool player. You aren't going to replicate that kind of success consistently. The numbers just will not allow you to do so.

In addition, DC United do some things just about better than anyone else. They brought in Sonny Siloy to run their academy program. They have stayed with Conor Shanosky longer than a lot of clubs would have, giving him two season long loans to give him time to prove himself as a player, even when their starter in Conor's position is younger than Conor and it looks unlikely that DC will ever need Conor. At least the kid has gotten the chance to prove that he is a strong minor league player.

This is a club that is doing a lot of thing right. The problem is that, in doing so many things right, it is frustrating when they turn around and go with the most athletic player or the one who is the biggest. It is like they just can't get themselves to take advantage and sign their best prospects. They always talk about how they want to play the game a certain way, but when it comes time to sign homegrown players, they don't really practice what they preach - at least after the first two signings.

Cristhian Najar is the fascinating one as far as I am concerned. He clearly has MLS level talent, but he doesn't attempt to control his hair trigger temper. This may not sound bad, but if you saw him routinely self-destructing, usually for the tiniest of reasons, you would understand. Cristhian is a player who might thrive under Ben Olsen who would finally expect him to mature and be brutally honest about it with him. My problem is that I don't know Crithian personally so couldn't tell you anything about his future as a pro.

It will be interesting to see 1. if Ben Olsen continues to coach DC United as he is losing a lot of games and 2. if DC United sign Cristhian Najar.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Villarreal with a very nice cross for an assist

INKRO and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'neil gets another 90.

So he's pretty much our starter at the U20 WC, right?

xbhaskarx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    In Colorado's 2nd straight clean sheet as well, and the 4th shutout Shane has been a starter in this season.

His improvement at CB has been rapid (no pun intended), he played only CM last year in reserve games. I don't know if he was getting some practice time at CB last year with the Rapids, but Tab is the one that gave Shane his first game action at CB. And somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was a Forward a few years ago as well.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Neil and Serna are both very talented players

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its certainly looking pretty good for him.

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Zimmerman comes on as a last minute sub to help hold a lead

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Nope.

According to Tab "The Genius" Ramos, excelling at the MLS level doesn't mean you should even have a place on the U-20 team.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Shane did start every game of qualifying.

If we have Brooks, it's up to Tab to see if he moves Stanko to DM or chooses between Stanko/O'Neill playing next to Brooks. I expect Caleb to be a starter at one or the other seeing he was also the team captain.

A defensive spine like this seems pretty damn promising:

----Stanko----
    JAB----O'Neill

aw072760 repped this.
  23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sorry I was making a reference to Ramos not rating McBean. I think Shane is quality.
    I agree.

O'Neill should get the start since he's been playing CB in MLS. Anyone know what Stanko has been playing in Germany?

aw072760 repped this.
  24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    This is exactly what I have.

25. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Too bad it took him so long to get fit. Would have been a nice add.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.