Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Option to Extend?

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Interesting. The Holden loan was short-term, but it wasn't a lower level team (same division), and Wednesday was offering to extend it (Bolton refused). If England can coordinate this kind of flexibility, one would hope MLS could do the same.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England, they have in the past, using the "emergency loan" system I just mentioned. In other countries, not so much.

And FIFA has now cracked down on the abuse of "emergency loans," which for all practical purposes have just been two extra transfer windows. As of right now, next Premier League season will be the last one with these short-term loan windows:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...des-emergency-loans-contravene-its-rules.html

Given this crackdown, it's not likely MLS would be able to introduce a new short-term loan system right now.

4. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, the emergency loan can last up to three months, and it looks like players can extend up to three months. After that, the same player can't go on loan back to the same club.

I was thinking of an "option" meaning it would become a long-term loan...which as I understand it isn't allowed.

And it's all moot at this point, because even if the "emergency" transfer window doesn't go away, it's going to have to be significantly re-jigged to convince FIFA to let it stay.

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "lower-level team" all I meant was you can't loan a player to a Premier League team; the league has to be to a Championship team or lower.

Hararea repped this.
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just pointing out that your blanket statement about loans was not 100% correct. First you said it had to last the duration of two windows. Which isn't true to do the emergency player rule (aka the youth player loan). Then you said they couldn't extend the loan. Which they can.

Granted this is all really a minor thing since as you pointed out it's going to need to be re-worked anyways.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What's odd about the MLS loan system they're setting up is that all of these teams are battling for playoff spots.

If the Galaxy have a couple injuries to central defenders and have an emergency situation.................why in the world would FC Dallas loan them Walker Zimmerman to help them out of it?

The utility of the plan may be if FCD, for instance, decides it has no need for Victor Ulloa. Another club could loan him as a kind of "extendend trial" I guess..........................

But any "player of value" isn't going to be loaned out. Many of these young players are at least on benches during MLS games. So if you loan out these players, then that hurts the depth at these clubs. You need to find other players to be fill that void............which is a void you don't need to create in the first place.

Walker Zimmerman, for instance won't start for FCD when he returns from injury. But he could be the primary centerback on the bench with Ihemelu on IR and Stephen Keel also having injury concerns. (Competition would be Woodberry who is the primary fullback depth). Sure, you could loan him to RBNY for a month to get playing time. But then that leaves your cupboard pretty bare.............

I like the fact that they're setting up the possibility of loan agreements. Why not? I just don't think they're going to be used in the way people are hoping they're going to be used......................

8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, technically all I said in the first place was that it was against FIFA rules. Which it is; it's just that the English FA doesn't like to follow FIFA rules. MLS doesn't get as much slack.

In the MLS system, the loan has to be completed by the end of the spring transfer window. So the loans are basically for the full season; they're not meant to be for emergencies, and they're not going to be made when playoff spots are in the teams' minds.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The players clubs would like to dump are overpriced veterans on the bench.

MLS clubs value cheap, young players that they can have as depth. And they're not going loan out Walker Zimmerman or Mikey Lopez to another club. They value these prospects as players in the rotation and the kind of depth every club needs. They want to develop them to play the way their club plays.................not farm out their development to a competitor.

And a really young player like say...........Jesse Gonzalez at FCD, isnt' going to be of interest to another MLS club. Because he's not going to play for them either.

The kinds of players that are going to be loaned in this manner are the players that clubs don't want anymore. So perhaps a club like FCD could have loaned Ruben Luna out to another MLS club instead of cutting him. That's where I see this system being used.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Vermes talks about Mikey Lopez in this article: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...r-vermes-sees-mikey-lopezs-time-us-u-20-team-

Gotta say kind of a weird thought process from Vermes. First, it seems he's acting like Mikey is a guaranteed starter on the U20 team. And if they don't see him getting some club games in until after the U20 WC, maybe loan him to Orlando for a little bit so he can get some games in?

Hararea repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Also against FIFA rules: corruption. Doesn't seem to stop them much.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. If he's at this April camp, is a member of the team for the Toulon tournament, and then is on the U20 World Cup team......................how many games would he actually get for Orlando?

SKC's plan looks OK to me. He'll have lots of U20 work to do this spring, and then when he returns they're going to have fixture congestion with the CCL when they'll need him. And I think they're also considering the notion that an offer's going to come in for Graham Zusi relatively soon that they can't refuse. Could happen this summer..................................

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The April camp and Toulon will combine for about a total of 3 weeks.

Orlando will have played 11 regular season games by the time Toulon starts, he certainly could've squeezed a few games in there. I don't see the alternative as getting in a couple non-competitive environment U20 camp scrimmages and maybe 1 or 2 games at Toulon as a better alternative than if he started the season with Orlando. Plus, he probably would've been released for this camp anyways if he was at Orlando.

15. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Marky Delgado, a '95, made his first appearance under Chelis tonight. Will be part of the US squad traveling to Portugal next month.

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jack McBean left the game early after a start (and assist) with a fractured clavicle.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In today's reserve game, Jordan Allen played 72 minutes at right back for RSL, coming off the bench after an injury. He's #46 in this video and has a couple of very nice runs forward. Only reinforces my view that he belongs in a pro environment now.

http://p.mlssoccer.com/xJm9I/video/1706790/1706790_2013-04-28-163730.640hq.mp4
    http://www.realsaltlake.com/news/2013/04/reserves-recap-rsl-1-0-la-galaxy

The Galaxy ran out three academy 94s off their bench, Mendiola (non-citizen, 45 mins), Nathan Smith (21 mins), and Drew Murphy (9 mins). I believe that both Smith and Murphy are UCLA commits.

Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Smith- UCLA; Murphy- UCSB

Hararea repped this.
  19. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    yep, jordan is nasty. the kid is wasting time going to college to play soccer. a shame

20. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Caleb Calvert has made his first appearance with the first team in Chivas' scrimmage today. He is the leading goalscorer in the DA but he didn't make the World Cup qualifying team because he's not at Bradenton.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He showed some skill holding the ball under pressure.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    This is kind of good. From last Sunday's match.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Reserve game: Chicago Fire 2 – 1 FC Dallas

Kellyn Acosta with the Dallas goal. Nice to see Dallas' reserve coach playing the youngsters. That's what this is supposed to be about.

Fire
    pro 93 Pineda (started, off after 19 mins)
    academy 94 Joel Leon (started, 90 mins)
    academy 95 hayden cochrane (sub, 14 mins)

Dallas
    pro 93 Jonathan Top (90 mins)
    pro 95 Kellyn Acosta (90 mins)
    academy 95 kris reaves (90 mins)
    academy 94 marco ortiz (started, 69 mins)
    academy 94 bobby edet (sub, 2 mins)
    academy 94 marco carrizales (sub, 21 mins)

Blurry video of the goals here
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/video/2013/05/01/reserve-match-chicago-fire-defeat-fc-dallas-2-1

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the youngest American that has gotten minutes in MLS this season?

Rep is on the line!

soccersubjectively repped this.
  25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delgado?

Germerica and Hararea repped this.