You were here when you were s%*t- Former Players and Youngsters

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jan 24, 2011.

1. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    He's pilfered millions in wages for the last few years posing as a footballer. Forgoing a few months' of wages in light of a club's dire circumstances is easily the correct choice.

2. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    I dont see things as black or white, I speak in snarky hyperbole, there is a difference.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    again- I just find it challenging to have sympathy for Pompey after they created their own mess

it seems they want to know point blame at the players they agreed to compensate through contracts, no matter how inflated at the time, instead of focusing on the issue at hand

with that being said- it would be nice of TBH to help Pompey but I would be concerned about other clubs following suit in the future.

slipereypete repped this.
  4. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Christ, it would have to be Borini to score that. Great goal from him and his first in a scouse shirt.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Looks like the TBH situation has come to an amiable end for all parties

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Who're you to tell a professional athlete who has about 5 more years left in his career to take a pay cut?

8. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    a bigsoccer message boarder

Eddie26 repped this.
  9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Exactly - someone who doesn't understand the value of money.

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    These guys make millions...if they spend it all at once without thinking about potential outcomes in their future and careers, I can't feel bad for them.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    And that's fine, but it doesn't mean they are not human if they choose to stick to their contracts.

12. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    bahahhahahahahaa

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whoa, I never said they would be looked upon as "non humans" because of that... However, just like in every occupation, there are issues and/or obstacles that can happen in one's career.

I have little sympathy for those crying over money when they are making over 7 figures.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    My post was more of an answer still to pete's accusation (the origination of this discussion). Sorry for the confusion.

I too have little sympathy, however, I also understand that every situation is different.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That money doesn't go nearly as far as you may think. These players pay @50% in taxes and another 10% to their agent, perhaps more to their lawyers. Many of them also have relatives they're taking care of, an expensive lifestyle by default (there's a limit to how thrifty anyone with a lot of money and a high profile job can be in their 20s) and a career that often spans no more than a decade. After that they're basically released into the wild with meager education and a lack of life experience due to people taking care of things for them (like their agents, lawyers, etc.) with no real way to earn money because you can't keep playing past 35. I'm hardly bemoaning the fate of professional footballers here, but it's a real concern, because they're one of the few professions where their income stream ends at 35. So I don't remotely begrudge them their determination not to take less than what was offered. (Bogarde was a different case, mind you.)

It's not an accident, for example, that so many NBA and NFL players are bankrupt just a few years after their careers end. If Antoine Walker can go bankrupt just 4 years after his retirement, any of them can.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree, you are very unintentionally funny.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I need to have a budget for my household and I need to plan and save for retirement on a much tighter budget. They need to do the same with millions in the bank. If they don't or can't, I frankly don't give a rat's ass.

Eddie26 repped this.
  18. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    stay pressed nice, stay pressed

Eddie26 repped this.
  19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I still don't know what this means and you've used it twice already in two days. Is this some new hipster lingo I may not be aware of? Care to explain?

Wrath repped this.
  20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If it was as simple as you think, far fewer of them would have problems. You've grown up having to live within a budget, so it's easier for you to do it. Statistics show that spending increases in close proportion to income; it's very difficult in your mid 20s to think like a 40 year old facing retirement. I'm not suggesting having sympathy for athletes, mind you, just pointing out that it's far from a simple matter of budgeting better.

21. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    NO!!! dont! trust me you dont wanna know.

Im still tyring to reverse know what YOLO means.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can agree with this.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Lay off the Rocket Fuel.

Do you really care?

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I went to undergrad with a few athletes who later went pro, so I understand how their view of life gets warped. (Not that I knew any of them remotely well, mind you.)

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I can tell you from personal experience that when I trained at 2 different tennis academies in Florida, we were told that only 1% of us would turn pro, 1/2 of that would make money playing tennis, and only 1/2 of that would make a good living playing tennis. We also had ex-pro athletes come and give us their life stories about being very good, making money, having sponsors, etc....and one ACL later, have nothing. So thankfully education was the way my parents decided to go (not saying I would have been good enough to make money playing the sport).