You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Ruud-Less Transfers, Rumors and Lies Thread.

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Jagbir, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That music's specially crappy, eh? I bet a teenage gal from Bilbao who's in love with Llorente made that vid.

2. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    That for me is the one question mark over a Llorente deal.
    Manolo is in prime position.
    I'm a huge champion of signing Llorente but if Adebayor comes in, does a good job, scores goals and wins the Bernabeu over, then bringing in Llorente becomes more complicated.
    I'm not sure Ade will be able to do this... but he has an opportunity and if he takes it, fair play to him.

The talk about Aguero is continuing today in AS.
    I'd be happy with that.

3. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    If paying Llorente's 36ME buyout will eventually cost us like 50ME, what will paying Aguero's 45ME buyout clause eventually cost us? Thats a lot of cash..

4. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Well that depends really, on whether either president would honour the 'gentleman's agreement' that allegedly exists. The current Bilbao president is preparing himself for the elections, so his 'no-one will buy Llorente while I am president' is obviously a bit of posturing. If we met either clause then I suppose it would all depend on their stance at the time and whether Uncle Flo can work his magic.

5. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Well, one of them is the Madrid hating Basque club, and the other the Madrid hating Madrid club. So.. You can understand why I would be a bit sceptical about them being "gentlemen" about us snatching up their BEST players respectively.

6. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    I don't think that necessarily has to come into it, it all depends on whoever is making the decisions, not how much the fans of each particular team happen to hate each other. Florentino seems to pride himself on the good relationships he keeps between himself and other clubs, and at the end of the day, this is business.

7. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    But he's played in Spain before... And was one of the top strikers here. :confused:

Why would I care what he did on an international level? His club record has been excellent, and that's all I care about if I want to bring him to my club.

8. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    I wouldn't say his club record has been excellent. I wouldn't bet on there being much of a difference between Adebayor's totals, and Torres' totals over the last number of years. Torres had the reputation of being one of the top young strikers in Spain, but I wouldn't say he necessarily lived up to that. At Liverpool he had one outstanding season, and since he has been hit by numerous injuries and an average return in terms of goals. For the national team he looks out of place and he simply doesn't suit the style of football that the team looks to play.

Torres' career has largely been developed on reputation from an early age, and although a great player in the right system, I don't buy into all this 'best #9 in the world' business that seems to follow him around. He'd probably do all right for us, we are quick and powerful on the break, but I wouldn't want him.

9. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So lets stick to the facts eh.

Torres 07-10 79 matches in Premier League, 56 goals. 0.7 goal ratio.

Llorente 07-10 106 matches in La Liga, 39 goals. 0.36 goal ratio.

10. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    IMO, he was the top hyped striker here.

While Torres posted goal ratio in the PL for the time period since 07 is higher than Llorente's for the same time period in La Liga, it is noteworthy that Llorente played quite a significant number more games.....ie: he's much more consistent health-wise. ;)

Torres has 26 goals in 82 caps for Spain.
    Villa has 44 in 70 caps.
    Llorente has 7 in 13 caps.

Care to do the math on those?

11. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    It is also a fact that Llorente plays for an vastly inferior team, particularly in previous seasons.

I'll take the Basque Fernando, thank you very much.

12. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

International caps are irrelevant when talking about club football. Podolski scored 26 goals in 104 matches for Bayern Munich while at the same period he had 27 goals in 49 matches for Germany. Total of 88 goals in 239 club appereances compared to his 42 goals in 83 matches for Germany.

Diego Milito 4 goals in 24 matches for Argentina. Tevez 12 goals in 58.

13. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Perhaps, but I do believe they are quite relevant when you're talking striking ability with two strikers playing on vastly different teams. Put them on the same team and look at the results. In other words, let's even the playing field, shall we, instead of comparing a PL striker with a successful team with a La Liga striker with a mid-table team. With the midfield of Spain supplying balls the way they do, strikers should be scoring regularly.;)

14. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    The one thing you can't really fault Torres on is his goal scoring record. Even when he misses half the season the guy has a good goal to game ratio.

Getting Llorrente from Bilbao will be no easy task. Bilbao is challenging for a Europa League spot and if they get it, I think it could be near impossible to get Llorente. You would have to pay the buyout clause and the 18% IVA.

15. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Torres' scoring record while he in Spain was not that better than Llorente's.

2002/03: 13 Goals

2003/04: 19 goals

2004/05: 16 goals

2005/06: 13 goals

2006/07: 14 goals

Normally, you'd expect him to improve after having a cracking start, but it's been the opposite for him with Atletico.

16. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dont forget that -unbelieveable- Pathetico was even more shit in those years having just got promoted from Segunda and Torres was only 18 years old in 02/03.

17. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup.

I'm a bit skeptical about Manolo, but if he proves he can get the job done I'm all for keepiing him. He'd also be cheaper than Llorente, and that would provide extra money for El Kun.

Bilbao were almost promoted a few years back, and overall, they have less money and a smaller fan base.

Bilbao are cvnts, but the amount of whyniness (is this a word? forgive me, I've eaten and drunk a bit too much) Atlético display has never been matched by them. We've signed a few players from there in our history.

Eee-xactly. You got to have in mind that the media here will hype everything that is homegrown. Atleti was lacking a homebreed icon, and Torres filled that void.
    Am I seriously the only one that remembers Torres scoring only against Barça back in the day?
    BTW, Torres is the only footballer I have seen up close and in person, back when he was veeeery young and doing a commercial on the street.

18. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Ah, so it's OK to defend Torres' record because Atletico were terrible, but when comparing Llorente with Bilbao, and Torres with Alteti/Liverpool, team level is irrelevant?

Stats can tell you anything you want, if you use the right ones.

19. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

He does have a point though. Torres was 18-20 years of age in his first 3 years at Atletico. I don't think many sub 20 strikers are going to have outstanding goal tallies at that age.

Looking at his goal record from close to 10 years ago seems a bit pointless.

The main problem with Torres is his health. I think his scoring record speaks for itself.

20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    That's your opinion. I respect it but I disagree with it.

And I've said that I'd Llorente now because of Torres's health issues.

Again, I'm not really sure why people keep bringing up his international scoring record when they're trying to argue against bringing him to Real Madrid. That seems pointless.

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I disagree. It's the style of the team that matters. Just because they're playing on the same team, it doesn't mean the style of the team suits both players equally.

22. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not. Spain plays a lot more like what is needed in the League, and faces opposition more like the one he would encounter here than what he has faced in England.

23. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Torres is a large bitch, Llorente is good looking. Why is there even a discussion?

24. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Torres in la liga:

214 games and 82 goals: 0, 38 goals per game

Llorente in la liga:

166 games and 46 goals: 0,27 goals per game.

Torres was 16 yo when he scored his first goal in la liga, while Llorente was 19.

So basically he was a better player in la liga than Llorente and he is better than Llorente while playing for Liverpool.

Llorente has a better season so far, but saying he is a better player is ridiculous.

25. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Is Kun a little bitch then ?