You are the ref

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Here are two pertinent references from Jim Allen:

DOGSO, ADVANTAGE, AND SEND-OFF
    March 1, 2010

ADVANTAGE AND MISSED SHOT
    September 17, 2010

Note that this statement in the March 1 item:
    ...appears to be contradicted by this one in the September 17 piece:

2. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was going to ask if a position paper was released in between, but that came out two years prior so IDK. After reading both answers though, they both said pretty much the same thing to me... PK.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes, PK. And DOGSO?

4. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yup, unless the goal is scored. (If it is SFP or VC, still Send-off)

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I think that's right.

6. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not certain there is a contradiction tbh. Firstly the march 1 scenario isn't clear that the second goal attempt is made from inside the PA and secondly the scenario includes that the referee did in fact choose to allow the advantage so I guess that JA just went with that as a given instead of overruling the referee after the fact.

7. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Time to answer. First was the game before mine. The other three were my games.

The referee in this game stopped play and brought the ball back for a retake. I was not on the field so I could hear an explanation but it looked to me like everything had been order before the kick. I agree with the opinions here. Play on!

This was not a DOGSO opportunity and I pulled it back for an IFK at the top of the box for the slide tackle. My biggest mistake on this play was signaling for the advantage before the black attacker shanked the ball a mile wide.

The ball did not enter the net. PK, no caution but a strong talking to.

I used "wait and see" on this play. Since the ball had left the players hand and there was no effect on the throw, I did not consider retaking the throw in. However, when the green team lost possession, I pulled the ball back for an IFK for green at the spot where blue interfered with green. I did not caution for the sake of time but had a nice conversation with blue at the end of the game about his tactics.

8. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think discussion among referee's is how laws get updated so discussion is good, however, as the law is explained now 2 bites is exactly what they get so it becomes an education thing for the coaches who hate us. It is VITAL that we call it correctly so these same coaches can't say "in my last game it wasn't called". Instead they might say "yeah, the last guy called that too so they could be right" and then the next time it is called it might start sinking in.

If we continue to get inventive and look for ways to not call it, then we contribute to why the coaches (and parents and players) hate us.

JimEWrld and Bubba Atlanta repped this.