YNT-eligible ('93 and later) players in U.S. lower divisions

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here we have an another former US youth player staying in Texas.

Alex Molano also signing with Dallas City FC. [I thought it possible that Molano could actually be young enough to qualify for this thread, but US soccer has done away with the birthdays as I used to find them. Disastre!!!]

BTW..........Daniel Medina has also signed on. It's a former youth yanks abroadapalooza.

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt says Molano is too old. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/alex-molano/profil/spieler_129735.html

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it will be pretty grim if Gallego still can't get on the field with that kind of schedule.

4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Now that we can see a fuller roster, we have a clearer indication of the players they've been able to land. Apart from St Cyr and a in-state GK who is presumably their back-up, they've already signed eight guys who've been on MLS rosters, plus a 2014 MLS draftee, a player who spent multiple years in the SPL, another recent MLS draftee who just returned from abroad, two veterans of US lower division soccer, and a player who spent last year with Orlando City, easily the best team in USL Pro.

Now, it's possible that DelloRusso thinks he's really got a hidden gem on his hands -- such things do happen -- but if not, there's really no need to bring the guy in. No shortage of readily available hopefuls with better credentials.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Arizona signs another YNT player in former KC and Athletic Madrid academy GK Jacole Turner, a 94.

The starter - or at least the GK with the most experience - for Arizona appears to be former Bradentonian Evan Newton, who has been on the books of a couple of MLS teams, so it will be interesting to see how much PT Turner gets.

http://www.arizonaunited.com/news.php

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If I'm reading the timeline correctly on Twitter, NASL Indy has signed two more players (post-Corrado and Frias) they have yet to announce. My guesses: Dylan Mares and Kevin Rozo. Of course, it could be neither or I'm completely wrong...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Barring further announcements from Indy or otherwise, I think we are about caught up on NASL YNT prospects.

There is a decent number of non-American youth-aged players in the league but relatively few Yanks.

One asterisk: The league's web site still lists Conor Donovan as being a RailHawk, though the club's site does not. Theoretically he could play with them this year provided he has not already enrolled at NCSU.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I would guess it will be a battle for time. Their other GK, a former conference-level performer at USD, was on the fringes of MLS this preseason:

[Michael] D’Arrigo has already donned Sporting Kansas City and FC Tucson jerseys in the last three weeks and will do the same for the New England Revolution when they come to town in a couple of days.

“Michael made two fantastic saves in the first half, low ones,” Schantz said. “The assessment we got is that he may not be MLS-ready, but he’s definitely a USL Pro-quality goalkeeper. We’d like to get him a shot to move on, so having him train with (goalkeeper coaches) John Pascarella at Sporting Kansas City and Remi (Roy) at New England — those two guys know everybody in the league — so hopefully one of them will be able to help Michael land a spot.”
    http://azstarnet.com/sports/soccer/...cle_36b2207d-8b5f-50cb-acfa-e766e165eeab.html

It's hard out there for a reserve GK. On the other hand, before he had this job, Turner had none. Been quite a year for the young man.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looks like Rozo isn't signing with the Eleven, given Wilt's comments above and the fact that Mares reported his signing online (though at last check the club hasn't done so).

http://instagram.com/p/mno1iwTeXy/

Wonder what's next for Rozo. Was mildly surprised to see him in the States in the first place.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roundup so far this weekend:

NASL
    Fort Lauderdale vs. Ottawa
    FTL - Lopez did not dress

Indy vs. Carolina
    IND - Frias started and played 90
    IND - Spencer did not dress. Currently with U-20s.

USL

OKC vs. Arizona
    OKC - Kempin started and played 90
    OKC - Leichty subbed and played 81 minutes and assisted on a goal. Looks like KC's Duke got injured.
    AZ - Top started and played 59 minutes
    AZ - Renken subbed and played 20 minutes
    AZ - J. Turner did not play

Wilmington vs. Pittsburgh
    PIT - Salazar did not dress

Richmond vs. Charlotte
    RIC - Martin started and played 90
    RIC - Robinson dressed but did not play. I guess he is getting back to health now.

Charleston vs. Orlando
    ORL - T. Turner started and played 90
    ORL - Lopez dressed but did not play
    CHA - Salgado not in the 18 - injured

Sacramento vs. OC
    OC - Moses started and played 90
    SAC - Gallego did not dress
    SAC - Gissie did not dress

Has anybody watched video of an Orlando match yet? I'm curious to know how Tyler Turner is faring.

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and anivha repped this.
  14. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, USL Pro has video of all the matches. What I'm asking is whether anyone else has slogged through them.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #316 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Gallego was an unused sub in Sacramento's 3-0 Sunday win over G2. Gissie wasn't on the bench.

Nothing to report on the Galaxy youth players.

Former Dynamo academy player Gonzalez and Mendiola both got 90 minutes.

There's a Tuesday game to round out the weekend. It's between OKC and the Dallas reserves, so I expect a 2,000-word report from @Clint Eastwood.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In the part of the game I watched (it's on WatchESPN), he looked better than I had expected, good feet, strong frame (even though he's not tall and needs to play a bit stronger). His Honduran partner in central defense was charging into midfield, so Frias was the one doing the organizing. With the other CBs in his generation, he may not get into the mix, but he looks like he'd be a better option than some guys we've used in the past.

Terrible soccer on display in this one. Gallego needs to get onto a team that wants a bit of possession.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Meantime Mikey Lopez keeps looking for minutes. I think Quinn is a good player, so I'm not shocked that he's ahead of Lopez. But this week when Quinn came out, it was for Span (who scored the gamewinner).

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Lopez plays dmid, though, so he isn't really in competiton with Quinn or Span. He appears to be stuck behind Salvadoran national teamer Darwin Ceren, who is one of Orlando City's MLS signees.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess I saw Quinn as more of a DM at the pro level. But it's fair to say that Lopez is more a traditional stay-at-home player based on what little I've seen of him.

Ceren has played every minute of every game so far, so ... (Actually, the league web site currently credits him with 360 minutes in two matches, which is truly herculean.)

As for Span, who knows. I thought he was a wide player, and though he came on for Quinn I don't know where he actually lined up -- perhaps the formation changed.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And, fun stat fact -- Ceren is apparently leading the entire league in shots taken after four matches, DM or no... ;)

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD Reserves beat OKC 1-0 tonight. Kempin and Leichty started for OKC. Leichty was subbed out after 69 minutes.

For Dallas, Zimmerman went 90 and Garcia started and was subbed out in second half injury time. Acosta was an unused substitute, apparently -- the game was in Dallas, so I suppose he trekked over from the U-20 camp?

Dallas academy players Oscar Romero, Sebastian Gordillo, Antonio Aguilar, and Troy Reeves (all 96s) made substitute appearances.

* Good to see Zimmerman back in action
    * Garcia got a couple of mentions in FCD's writeup for setting up scoring opportunities
    * Kempin had a PK save.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Though yesterday's game, we've now seen...
    • 20 guys either sign with or be loaned to (and play for) USL Pro teams
    • 3 guys either sign with or be loaned to (and play for) NASL teams
    • another 15 MLS guys play for their club's reserves in competitive matches against USL pro teams; of those, 9 were academy players
    Of note perhaps, of that full list only two guys are GKs. Kempin may be the main starter this season for OKC but Turner in Arizona may face a battle for time. (A third GK, Castano with NYRB, isn't counted here because he didn't play. Same for Acosta.)

The early success story may be David Leichty, who none of us had heard of and is now getting pro PT as a '95.

NYRB gets a nod for giving academy players substantial minutes with its reserves, and G2 amusingly lost its first game while its youth players were at the Dallas Cup.

Meantime, in the NASL, Indy is the only lower-division team I know of that has taken American youth players on loan from overseas clubs.

Aguilar Antonio 96 FC Dallas Reserves
    Basuljevic Arun 95 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Calvert Caleb 96 Chivas USA Reserves
    Delgado Marky 95 Chivas USA Reserves
    Dixon Malcolm 97 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Frias Jaime 93 Indy Eleven
    Gallego Bryan 93 Sacramento Republic
    Garcia Danny 93 FC Dallas Reserves
    Gissie Mawolo 96 Sacramento Republic
    Gordillo Sebastian 96 FC Dallas Reserves
    Hernandez Ricardo 93 Chivas USA Reserves
    Jamieson Bradford 96 LA Galaxy II
    Kempin Jonathan 93 OKC Energy
    Leichty David 95 OKC Energy
    Lema Chris 96 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Lopez Mikey 93 Orlando City FC
    Lopez Mitchell 93 Ft. Lauderdale Strikers
    Martin Collin 94 Richmond Kickers
    McBean Jack 94 LA Galaxy II
    McLaughlin Jimmy 93 Harrisburg City Islanders
    Miazga Matt 95 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Moses Seth 93 Orange County Blues
    Politz Kevin 96 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Redding Tommy 97 Orlando City FC
    Reeves Troy 96 FC Dallas Reserves
    Renken Charles 93 Arizona United
    Robinson Jalen 94 Richmond Kickers
    Romero Oscar 96 FC Dallas Reserves
    Salazar Bryan 94 Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Salgado Omar 94 Charleston Battery
    Seaton Michael 95 Richmond Kickers
    Sorto Oscar 93 LA Galaxy II
    Spencer Ben 95 Indy Eleven
    Tetro Brandon 96 NY Red Bulls Reserves
    Top Jonathan 93 Arizona United
    Turner Tyler 96 Orlando City FC
    Turner Jacole 94 1 Arizona United
    Zimmerman Walker 93 FC Dallas Reserves

anivha, Sup Bro and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Relevant weekend NASL action, all Saturday:

Carolina at Ft. Lauderdale (Lopez)
    Indy (Frias, Spencer) at Tampa Bay​

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #325 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Relevant upcoming USL action:

Friday
    NYRB Reserves at Charleston (Salgado)

Saturday
    Pittsburgh (Salazar) at Richmond (Martin, Robinson, Seaton)
    Dayton at Harrisburg (McLaughlin)
    Sacramento (Gallego, Gissie) at Arizona (Renken, Top, Turner)
    OC (Moses) at G2 (Jamieson, McBean, Sorto, several possible academy players)

Monday
    Rochester at Chicago Reserves*

Tuesday
    Orlando City (Lopez, Redding, Turner) at Dallas Reserves​

I haven't looked at the Dallas Cup schedule closely enough to know how it might affect player availability.

* This is the first D3 appearance of 2014 for the Fire. Their thread-eligible players are Joya and Pineda, plus of course they could involve academy guys.

Pl@ymaker repped this.