YNT-eligible ('93 and later) players in U.S. lower divisions

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 12, 2014.

1. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well spotted. Arizona needs players...

3. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    With the standard of USL Pro still as low as it is, it's important for MLSers not to lower their games to it. Even so, Mendiola, McBean and Sorto (technically not loanees, I know) are at a stage of development where they can learn a lot of lessons at this level. Provided that they don't stay for too long, there can be little doubt that it will help.

In addition, the impact in the opposite direction is worth following. That is to say, let's see how much MLS loanees help to make USL Pro a better league. From what I've observed so far, they make a big difference. For example, someone like Michael Fucito may be an afterthought in MLS, but in USL Pro he helps his team in two ways. First, he's a standout performer, and second, he plays for free, allowing Sacramento to spend more money on the rest of its squad.

Holla at ya boy repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Adding to that, I'm interested to see how G2 and any future league second squads perform in the league over time. If it turns that that they have enough competitive advantages over the "organic" USL clubs that the latter teams turn out to be cannon fodder with little hope of winning titles, it may dissuade 1) fans and 2) future owner-operators or drive them toward the NASL, PDL/NPSL or other upstarts unless some other parts of the model change.

Hararea repped this.
  5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    They seem to be moving toward a roster, since this came out before the Top announcement:

Kyle Eng ‏@kyledeng Apr 7
    Exciting player announcements today for @AZUnitedSC! 19 players under contract w/ a few more in camp getting ready for 1st game on 4/12.

I guess they are being sparing with the announcements. There's nothing on the USL page, where the league announces fully official, cleared signings (I think clubs can announce before the signings clear):

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/teams/2014/67653369.html#ROSTER

And very little on the team site:

http://www.arizonaunited.com/

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    They can even give you a nice new jersey to pose in for the press.

Con mucho amor,
    Camilo

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Frias is an Eleven:

Indy Eleven Professional Soccer today announced a pair of additions to the team’s roster with the signing of former Indiana University midfielder A.J. Corrado and the acquisition of defender Jaime Frias via a loan deal with Liga MX (Mexican First Division) side Chivas de Guadalajara.
    http://www.indyeleven.com/news/deta...9l7kv8/eleven-adds-frias-corrado#.U0Rtd_ldV7c

Frias at left, Corrado at right.

[http://www.indyeleven.com/di/librar...-740x420_1j5ilo10oeuo010szlzdetfbhr.jpg[/img]

Still waiting for news on Rozo.

Perhaps interesting: The only two international loans of American players into the lower divisions so far this year have both gone to Indy.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that he's signed with LA so he'll be in the US for the next few years. There is not a lot of information about his situation out there. A lot of rumors a few years ago that he was undocumented and didn't have a green card. It's dangerous to speculate, but if that's the case then he could end up as an Andy Najar case. It could be a long road to US Citizenship, which if he progresses as we would hope, might push him out of the league like Najar.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Mendiola has a Green Card, but wouldn't be surprised if he only got it within the past year. It might've been a reason that the Galaxy didn't sign him until this season, so that he wouldn't count as a foreign player.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In which case we would be looking at four or five years, and no U20s or U23s.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It should be noted that Arizona's coach is a former FCD player. Michael Dellorusso didn't get into many games, but he was there from 2006 to 2009. A well respected guy.

FCD is still reportedly looking to loan out one more player. Could be any number of guys. Walker Zimmerman, Daniel Garcia, and others could use a string of starting matches. I believe, however, that its one of the keepers that'll go out.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    One of the players AZ has added is Charles Renken, whom I believe is still YNT-eligible.

http://arizonaunited.com/news.php

Landing in USL pro means he really IS the next Freddy Adu!

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch and an interesting signing.

There are a bunch of other players listed on Transfermarkt right now but I think some of them may be from last year's squad. On the other hand, unless I missed it they haven't announced the Top loan (Mmm, top loin) even though Dallas has.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Meet Ben Spencer:

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arizona is assembling a surprisingly interesting roster by USL Pro standards. A Charles Renken sighting, Jonathan Top on loan, a bunch of former MLS HGPs (Woodberry, Baladez, Kassel), and Antunez who played in Finland and had cameos in MLS and Liga MX.

Dellorusso is going after his connections with Dallas (Woodberry, Baladez, Top) and Maryland (Saint Cyr, Kassel).

Also, didn't Dellorusso used to spell his name Dello-Russo?

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #292 Sandon Mibut, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Kudos to the journalists who follow these leagues -- click on their articles if you agree:

The 19-year-old [Collin] Martin has been especially adept in creating scoring chances. Cowlishaw pointed out his ability to see the whole field and find players in the right spots.

“That’s absolutely the type of player he is,” Cowlishaw said. “I think he has a very bright future. He has great composure and passing ability. The really pleasing part for us as a team is he continues to get physically stronger. There’s also the work required off the ball, and he’s improved in defense.”
    http://sports.blogs.starnewsonline.com/16932/around-usl-pro-april-8/

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Hararea repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I know that Maryland's program has earned a lot of respect, but even so, I don't see how you sign a guy who was buried as deep on their bench as Widner St Cyr was. And it's not just about Dellorusso, either. He managed to win an extended tryout with NYRB in pre-season.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assessment of St Cyr may well be correct, but I can see how it would happen when you are tasked with throwing together a roster in about three weeks with what's almost certainly a very small budget. Ultimately, Dello-Russo is going to lean on connection perhaps more than he'd like to because there's not much time to do anything else.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. In fact if he had more time we may have been able to acquire those guys like Bryan Leyva that ended up signing with that Dallas NPSL team.

Where is Ruben Luna, for instance? He's not listed on the Atlanta Silverbacks roster...........................

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From a quick NASL Ft. Lauderdale preview:

Among the other newcomers is 20-year-old Opa Locka native Mitchell Lopez, a midfielder of Brazilian descent who impressed coaches in open tryouts. He played club for the Miramar Lions, and attended Miramar High and Deerfield Beach High. “It’s still so hard to believe this dream came true,” he said. “I am playing pro soccer in my hometown. Not too many people can say that.”​

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/10/4050521/fort-lauderdale-strikers-bring.html

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ft. Lauderdale also signed a '95 who may not be American, but could be working toward citizenship:

[Joshua] Travagli, 18, joins the Strikers after a stint with FC Chiasso in the second division of Switzerland. The Italian-born left back grew up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil until the age of 14, when his family relocated to New York City.
    http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/1f...o-vieira-to-complete-2014-roster#.U0aQjfldV7c

24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    The MLS reserves from DC United are doing very well for Richmond, often dominating the play. Richmond made the USL final last year, in large part due to the play of DC United loaned players who would not have played at the MLS level.

My hope is that we get in the habit of loaning players who have graduated from USL to NASL, which is definitely a level above USL, once a player has shown that he no longer benefits from playing at the USL level. Conor Shanosky is a very good player at the USL level, a solid player at the NASL level, and not quite good enough for MLS. I would prefer that he get another NASL loan this year so he can push himself to become a better player. I doubt that he will ever be good enough to get consistent playing time with DC United or any MLS team, but if they are going to keep him on the books, they might as well push him to be the best player that he is capable of. Otherwise they are just throwing money out the window by keeping him around.

Every player on the books needs to be pushed to be the best he is capable of or you are undermining the culture of your franchise.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #300 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Upcoming USLPro action...

• Friday -- Rochester @ Dayton (no relevant players I know of, however)
    • Saturday -- Richmond @ Charlotte, Charleston @ Orlando, Sacramento @ OC, OKC @ Arizona
    • Sunday -- Sacramento @ G2 (Yes, that's Sacramento with two kickoffs scheduled within about 24 hours of each other.)
    • Tuesday -- OKC at FC Dallas Reserves
    And it's also opening weekend for the NASL...
    • Saturday -- Ft. Lauderdale @Ottawa, Indy @ Carolina, Tampa Bay @ Edmonton, San Antonio @ Minnesota
    • Sunday -- NY @ Atlanta
    Wouldn't be surprised to see more roster changes in both leagues between now and some of those games.