YNT-eligible ('93 and later) players in U.S. lower divisions

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    To expand upon a post from the U20 thread -- perhaps it's time to start this as an experiment and see where it leads.

We've recently seen a couple of YNT-eligible signings for 2014, and perhaps there will be (or already have been) more. Let's try tracking them here.

'95 David Leichty, OKC Energy, USL Pro
    http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014...hty-signs-professional-contract-okc-energy-fc

'96 Mawolo Gissie, Sacramento Republic, USL Pro
    http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/republ...braun-teen-phenom-mawolo-gissie/#.UvvKdxBdV7c

2. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    No idea what Tyler Turner's plans are, but he's played a bit with Orlando City this pre-season.

4. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bowen is Travis Bowen, Tristan's older brother. Neither obviously eligible for the thread.

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy II ‏@LAGalaxyII 1m
    New lineup for the second half: Laurendi; Borrajo, Nishanian, Emory, Arreola; Courtois, Covarrubias, Djokovic, Campos; Griffin, Villarreal

Jaime Villareal starts the second half after coming on in the 32nd minute for Travis Bowen.

Peter Bonetti and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to make this a PBP thread but
    LA Galaxy II ‏@LAGalaxyII 40m
    Curt Onalfo makes another change as Villarreal leaves the match and @LAGalaxyAcademy forward Adonis Amaya enters the fray. #LosDos

LA Galaxy II ‏@LAGalaxyII 14m
    .@LAGalaxyAcademy forward Adonis Amoya has looked dangerous since he came on & he’s come close to getting on the scoresheet in the 2nd half.

LA Galaxy II ‏@LAGalaxyII 12m
    #LAGalaxy II sub: Fresno-native and @LAGalaxyAcademy product Elijah Martin comes into the match for Adonis Amaya.

LA Galaxy II ‏@LAGalaxyII 7m
    Full time in Fresno as #LAGalaxy II defeat the @fresnofuego 2-1 in their inaugural match. #LosDos

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Video on LAG website says he is player/coach, probably helping Onalfo.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    By the way -- do people have feelings about which, if any, leagues outside of USL Pro or NASL should be included here?

My instinct says that might be enough -- we could maybe consider a PDL/NPSL thread separately, since those players will be numerous but not professional.

I could be convinced otherwise.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    G2 lineup against G, YNT-eligible in bold. I think I got everyone:

41-Cody Laurendi, 36-Oscar Sorto (46’: 37-Matheau Hall), 44-Daniel Steres (77’: 62-Elijah Martin), 53-Bradley Diallo (57’: 43-Logan Emory), 55-Jason Bli (46’: 49-Eder Arreola), 58- Aleksandar Djokovic (46’: 56-Laurent Courtois), 48-Dragen Stojkov (51’: 57-Alejandro Covarrubias), 25-Rafael Garcia (55’: 72-Lee Nishanian), 38-Bradford Jamieson IV (46’: 50-Travis Bowen), 32-Jack McBean (46’: 63-Maxwell Griffin), 40- Raul Mendiola (65’: 45-Adonis Amaya)

DNP: 64- Nicholas Shackelford, 68-Josh Cohen, 66-Joe Franco, 65-Jaime Villarreal, 45-Aaron Lombardi

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/0...white-vs-blue-match-3-0-win-over-la-galaxy-ii

22SteveD and soccersubjectively repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Strong statements from Todd Durbin:

"The idea was to begin transitioning away from our reserve league and to begin developing and building out this relationship so we could have a properly functioning, sort of lower-level [league] for our developing players to participate in," said Todd Durbin, the executive vice president of player relations for MLS. "Because you're now playing against professional teams as opposed to players that are essentially in your same age group.

"The future is not with our reserve league. The future is with participating in USL Pro."

More important, though, is the opportunity the USL Pro team will provide for teenagers such as Jack McBean and Oscar Sorto who, rather than spending the summer on the Galaxy sidelines or playing a handful of reserve league games on a practice field, will now start as many as two dozen challenging games in front of fans for Galaxy II.​

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-soccer-baxter-20140223,0,4144955.story#ixzz2uFxvHJhP

That last statement (that McBean and Sorto can count on two dozen first-team USL starts this year) seems ambitious but not impossible. Worth tracking, because it will say a lot about the club's goals for the squad.

16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's a 28 game season so 24 starts seems possible. From the looks of it, the Galaxy will be agressive in playing some of their youngsters, although with less involvement with the lower end of the first team roster than I thought there would be.

Onalfo said something along the lines of "If we're winning all our games then we're doing something wrong and should be playing younger players". So they might start out conservatively but then play the youngsters as much as possible if they can handle it.

Hararea repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a take on Sporting KC's lower-division affiliations from the USL web site, which says (unsurprisingly, I suppose) of '93 GK Jonathan Kempin:

With veteran MLS goalkeepers Eric Kronberg and Andy Gruenebaum likely in front of him on the SKC depth chart this season, the opportunity may come for Kempin to join his former teammate in Oklahoma City as wellas he continues to look for competitive minutes to continue his development. To have that opportunity - or the chance to return to Orlando - is one that Kempin would welcome.

“Yeah, I would enjoy it, whether it’s Oklahoma City or maybe Orlando City again,” Kempin said. “Whatever it may be, I’m definitely open to another loan spell if that’s what Peter and the rest of the coaching staff want for me.”
    http://uslsoccer.com/home/790366.html

18. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch. He's a '96, so eligible for the U20 cycle.

When Turner joined the Residency program, he had previously been a center midfielder for Development Academy club South Central Premier and looked up to Arsenal’s Jack Wilshire, his favorite player on his favorite team. But U-17 MNT head coach Wilmer Cabrera saw Turner as a centerback, and he has adjusted well to the new position.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/u-17-mnt/2011/12/turner-in-focus.aspx#sthash.rKAe5mye.dpuf

The Sentinel piece above, however, calls him an outside back:

The 5-foot-11, 155-pound outside back is rated the No. 11 overall player in the 2014 class by Top Drawer Soccer and the No. 2 defender in his class.

Turner started at outside back for Orlando City in a 4-4 draw with the Columbus Crew on Wednesday night and has trained through portions of preseason with the club.​

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Didn't he play in the middle (CB and maybe also some DM) for the U17s? In any case, it seems Orlando is moving him to RB, as the Sentinel article indicates. Since I've mostly seen him (in limited action) in central positions it's hard to picture him as a raiding fullback, but he's young and obviously Orlando has thought about this. Anyway, he's young -- who knows?

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, you are right. I deleted my post because I realized that I was wrong.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With all these YNT players signing directly with USL teams from HS, we have entered a brave, new world in the development of American soccer.

22SteveD and USAMEX10 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. One wonders if a US youth international could actually get more money signing with a USLPro/NASL team than signing the 35-40k deal that many homegrown MLS kids get. You'd have to be a youth prospect of some notoriety to manage it, but why not? The San Antonio Scorpions have some cash. Why not make a play for Alfred Koroma (just thinking of a former youth nat that's a Texas "native.")

24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding (based on things like this thread) is that the average USL pro salaries are in the $20-30k range. I don't think most youth nats are going to be more valuable to a team than a solid pro 10 years older. Especially because the vast majority of D3 players are on single year contracts, meaning that the team isn't likely to be able to sell them to recoup their money.

ielag and Hararea repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, count me as skeptical on this one. I think that Orlando City is signing players because of the club's MLS future, not for its USL present.