Yellow card suspensions do not carry over to World Cup finals

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Oct 12, 2009.

1. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then again, there's this document, which seems to divide the world cup into two separate "competitions" -- the preliminary and the final.

I posted something about this a few weeks ago, though, and there was near unanimity that despite what the doc seems to suggest, that the world cup is indeed all one "competition" for purposes of the disciplinary regs.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tou...wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this thread is all moot, FIFA will carry over yellow cards and announce the day before the world cup kicks off :p

then they will take it back after the first group stage match :p

4. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Yes, and the WCQ are part of the FIFA World Cup TM for all intents and purposes of the rule book...again, that's why they come out with their decision about the cards every cycle before the WC...I have to say again to read the link from FirstStar that I re-posted...they wouldn't need to make any decision like that if the yellow card suspensions were just automatically waived like you think...which also backs up the assertion that the WCQ are part of the WC.

5. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is without any confusion.

First off, the WCQ and World Cup Finals are the SAME competiton. That's why it's called the Finals instead of just stopping at Cup. Any other interpretation is wrong and ill-informed.

Secondly, as dsp has plainly stated many times- it's IN THE RULES that cards&stuff are supposed to carry over, but FIFA have excericsed their option to wipe the slate then. They don't have to, though.

6. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    the most important part of your post ;)

7. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sticking with the thread's title and my 1 dollar bet.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WCQs are technically run by FIFA, not by the confederations. On a practical level, the confederations run the WCQs as agents of FIFA. Thus in all confederations the competition regulations are same for things like discipline, tiebreakers, etc.