Year One Objectives

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by onlyonefootball_com, Jul 15, 2012.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comment is very interesting, I've wondered that myself, I know MLS must be kidding themselves if they want to be topdog in the world, hell Mexico kicks their ass, although I think some fans don't care about that they want their parity to the grave and they want to be a isolationist league.

2. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, MLS owners being ruled a cartel for choosing to not sell their own shares in their own company?

3. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Cartel" is a strong word and I'm not saying that's the situation now. The single entity structure requires the lower division club to sell rights in order to get promoted. It's not been a problem because everyone so far has wanted that deal. What I'm saying is that if the single entity structure is to continue indefinitely then MLS cannot go around rejecting clubs that are fit to join the top flight in every sense but refuse to sell. That would be cartel behavior that directly challenges the governing authority of USSF and FIFA. MLS would own the top flight.

4. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot wrong with that post.

Are you aware that when lower clubs move into MLS, they're not legally the same entity? For every example, the lower division team technically ceased to exist and the MLS version of the team was created as a separate legal entity.

On top of that, what exactly are lower division clubs selling the rights to, exactly?

The deal is, "hey you give us the expansion fee and we'll give you shares in the league." For the Cosmos the deal is "hey you give us the expansion feel and we'll give you shares in the league."

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just wondering since their is no salary cap should Cosmos get better than MLS quality players, by not breaking the bank.

Davidson has stated in a interview that Cosmos will lead NASL into the next evolution.

6. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS owns all league clubs and their brand rights. The shareholder/club operator is entitled to profits when and if they are earned. That shareholder is NOT entitled to sell the club or make deals independently of the league. You voluntarily surrender those rights in joining MLS.

What if you don't want a deal whose terms are dictated by MLS? What if you go to USSF and say, "My club meets all D1 standards. We're dominating D2 play. We don't want the deal MLS is trying to dictate to us. How can we get a shot at being in the top flight?" If USSF says that you have accept the MLS deal on their terms then USSF has a very serious problem on its hands. It's not an issue now but the day will come when many in D2 are stable and will be ready for the step up. Their choice will be to let MLS dictate all terms of the deal or else stay in D2 forever. If the aspiring club says both of those options are unaccrptable then USSF will find itself on the hot seat.

You want to be in the top flight? Then you have to give up the current ownership arrangement of your own club. Otherwise, you never get to the top flight. This is the idea which will inevitably get challenged one day. You can't force me to change MY ownership of MY team as a condition of first division membership. That would be a cartel and I just don't think it will ever happen that way if a D2 club pushes the issue. All it will take is someone with enough brass and cash to force the issue on USSF. Cosmos could be the one.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is forcing the lower divisions to sell their rights. If the Cosmos want to retain their brand, they are more than welcome to stay in NASL and do exactly that... Also, MLS does own the top flight. USSF only allows ine first division league in the US and, right now, that league is MLS.

8. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All they'd need to do is out-spend everyone in NASL. Spending as much as MLS clubs gains you nothing unless you're in MLS.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but in the future if they don't lift the salary cap and new owners say what's the point of giving SUM $100 million when I can buy a D2 team cheaper and invest my money in players that are better than MLS players, MLS will be "major" in name only.

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that the Cosmos can challenge MLS on single entity. Impact president Joey Suputo was against the way MLS operates, and postured on getting into the league, but MLS responded by giving Vancouver and Portland teams. The Impact gave in and paid the expansion fee. The Cosmos will be the same way if they try. A second division team won't get the same attention a division 1 team will, and it will catch up to Cosmos with the way New York fans are. They don't watch minor league teams on a consistent basis. The investors of the league were sold on the concept of owning a portion of the league and they won't change for a minor league team. Either the Cosmos will have to give into MLS and the concept of the league, or destroy the value of the team and alienate the New York fanbase into not going to games.

11. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think FIFA will sit still for cartel behavior. I think that if USSF tries to maintain such a system indefinitely that the heat will come down on them from above. This is all just my opinion but if MLS tries to ENFORCE the single entity structure on all aspiring clubs not not yet in the league then MLS's sanctioning could come under threat. There no way that FIFA is built on the idea that you must sell out or stay in a lower division. They won't sit still for that (IMO).

12. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA is corrupt. Don't believe that they will do anything. They have let MLS operate the way it has for 17 years, what makes you think they will change now?

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will continue to raise the salary cap as long as their revenue continues to increase. *shrug* it will be interesting to see what happens to the Cosmos if Sela doesn't win the NY2 auction. If they go the route of keeping the brand and continue on in NASL, it is bound to be hard for them to be successful.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF they get players from South America and Mexico that fans who live here recognise it's a boost for the team. that's what I was wondering about this statement:

This summer, the legendary New York Cosmos signed on to the Division 2 North American Soccer League (NASL) for the 2013 season. NASL CEO and Traffic Sports USA president Aaron Davidson spoke with me about the deal and noted that the New York Cosmos, under the current ownership group led by Seamus O’Brien, will “lead the League through the second stage of evolution.”

What's the evolution? It can't be the name only...

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep saying things about FIFA stepping in for the integrity of the sport, but what about FIFA's history says they will do that? The only thing FIFA cares about is that USSF continues to float money up to them and if that means turning a blind eye to whatever MLS is doinf, they'll do that.

16. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that the Cosmos have great success and I will be going to some of their matches next year, but I don't see any way they can be as big as the Sounders. Seattle is known for having terrible teams and loyal fans. New York is the exact opposite with championship teams and fair weather fans. If the Cosmos don't go to MLS within a few years and win MLS Cup, the fans will abandon ship and the team will become Red Bulls 2.0.

17. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All it takes is one owner who's too stupid to cave. You're just saying that caving is smart business. You can't expect every D2 owner to think that way forever. It will come from someone who doesn't give a damn about the money, someone who's a control freak, someone who's so filthy rich that the team is plaything and losses are no big deal. You think there are any of those in the soccer world? It will happen just because it's never been done before and some self-centered rich prick who decides he'll be the first. Someone who'll spend big cash on a PR campaign to get his way cuz he wants his way. Someone prepared to embarrass people in high places. Anyone who thinks it won't happen is fooling themselves. MLS and USSF will someday back down to prevent it from happening.

18. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This sounds like one of DCU1996's posts in any of the 100 pro/rel threads. You are even using that "cartel" word. White Knight FIFA will jump in and save American soccer from Big Bad single-entity MLS. Never mind that they have left MLS alone for 17 years. Never mind that MLS actually works and is the most successful D1 league in North American history with single entity. Never mind that FIFA is a joke. They are going to come in and destroy MLS.

No one is going to tell MLS what to do at this point. Except the BoG.

Unless they are the biggest idiots on the planet, their only goal is MLS. And if they are out-bid by another group for #NYC2, they will try to sell the Cosmos brand and go quietly into the night.

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmos are going to have to overpay for any player they get, even more than what MLS has to pay. Playing in the second division is going to be a hurdle for most players, particularly if they have national team aspirations.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a couple of players who played for their NT. they weren't huge NT but they played for them at least.

21. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the path to D1 can be blocked by D1 owners it would discourage investment in the lower divisions. Why build a club in Memphis if promotion means selling out? Better to just never start that club in Memphis and go invest in some other country instead. It would retard the growth of the game. FIFA would take a none-too-kind view of that (imo).

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought "cartel" was M's thing. DCU might have picked it for a short time when M was running around the pro/rel threads, but with M going away, I don't remember him using the term much.

If they are doing well in NASL, I could see them giving it a go for a few seasons, but the much safer bet would be to sell out.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Success is a D2 team in a league with no pro/rel getting great attendance and a stadium built in a year.

24. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Another goodie straight out of a pro/rel thread. It is amazing how it always goes back to that topic. Recent investment in lower division soccer would say otherwise. The NASL is expanding, right?

Right now we have a closed system. FIFA is not doing anything about it and hasn't for 17 years. Your point?

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mentioned Mexican and South American... Those aren't minor NT. Players that move the attendance needle aren't going to be from Carribean or Oceania countries.