Yanks on Foreign YNTs

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    On my team we had something similar, many kids couldnt afford to pay, so they would pay what they could and the more rich kids parents would pay the rest of their tab for them.

I am sure there is stuff like this in Virginia, but to what extent? I am not quite sure, and another factor that i see also is the fact that alot of these good kids in my experience, tend to have issues with being illegal.
    I've encountered many many great players that are now playing MLS or somewhere else. I've played with my team when i was 17 the best club in the US, we beat them 1-0, and let me tell you, i wasnt impressed at all with their skill.

I saw better players in my own eyes play locally around me, and even beside me on my own team.

Problems that arise, are legality issues, i had a couple of friends that were incredible, one specifically who played forward for our HS team (HS teams i think get over looked, instead scouts focus on Travel competitions and tournaments). He was the leadnig goal scorer for our team, and i think even the state possibly cause the season we won the state champ. was with him up front.

He was illegal, and from peru, he came frmo Peru's acadamy team, from one of the biggest teams of the country, alianza lima. Guys like this, that often immigrate here, and had a semi' soccer life back home are the guys that get looked over.

This is like a 1 in a million type story. There are more missed opp. stories i think than those that found something like this kid you speak of.

I'd bet being the 80s, this kid probably didnt play the style that was considered elite back in the US soccer program. Where was he from out of curiousity?

I have met many kids who are just playing with their friends that immigrated here and are incredibly skilled! 1 kid recently that i mentored while i was at college, had the sickest skill, and touch. He was in 8th grade, and he was really somethign to see. No coaching as far as i knew, just natural talent.

Well I guess word got around how good he was, and the local university, where i was at helped him out, got him a job, and promised him a scholarship if he can keep it up with soccer. I think he was ein HS by the time this all happened. He oculd have ended up in gangs like many of the kids that i mentored over there, but there was some hope for him.

They are there, we just dont see it. Like i said above, i saw a talented kid in bum******** virginia! Friggin' Harrisonburg. I doubt there are many scouts scouring the streets over there for talent.

My point is theyt are everywhere, the US soccer fed. needs to set up scouts, or better communication with every state and town, to bring these kids out of the woodwork, and find a way to say screw money, if you are talented you play and get on our system/radar.

The problem with youth soccer in this country like i said before isnt looked at in the big picture, making players for the NT, or for club soccer.

Instead these kids play each otehr at the youth level and get coached like it meanse everything to win, and to train hard. Youth level soccer isnt about winning, its about developing players.

Jorge was tearing up HS soccer where he was from, and i am not quite sure on Feliz.

MLS club found Jorge through sueno MLS, a program which takes anyone frmo like 16-26. They play each other, and eveyr day get eliminated til there is like 4-6 i think people standing.

My friend made it to the final rounds in the washington DC one, but lost out to a 16 year old, i think personally cause of his age and ability to develop. My friend at 23 would only be looking at a pro contract not a youth one since he was too old.

Well, on the comment about playing at the park, that comes down to luck/ good coaches scouring the city for their team.

My buddy when young got found playing the same way you said, with a ball in a park. His parents both worked, but his dad would tell him drills to do on his own when bored, or go outside and set up sticks to dribble inbetween. He was like 8-9. He was messing with teh ball, when a coach spotted him, and tlaked to his mom. Never paid a dime, and was given rides by his teammates moms, as his parents worked.

That can happen, but more coaches need to always be on the look out. That needs to be emphasized by the US fed.

2. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't understand how you say this is a "1 in a million story" and then in your own post list at least two stories you know of where an unknown talent was found in a park or somewhere else. Obviously, every talented kid will not be found. Some are bound to be missed here or there, but generally speaking if there's a kid with talent and somenone from a local club hears about him, they're going to go check him out.

The kid I played with was born and raised in the U.S. His mother immigrated from central america, but he was born here. The family just didn't have money for travel soccer.

I can't say about the "elite style" as I'm not sure what that is, but the kid was good and had skills.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The difference is, i was one of those kids that was around and played, interacted, etc. with kids like this. Many of my friends were illegal, but had skill, and stories too.

Many coaches miss out on these kids because they could careless about playing travel, that isnt what they were about. Its up to those coaches to find these kids that have the skill but no guidence. Thats my point.

There is tons of kids that are just begging to be guided in teh right direction, if not they will just go on to working after HS, playing on the side, working in kitchens, doing small jobs, contruction, etc watever.

Thats my point. Maybe i am exhaggerating(sp) a little ibt, but you get my point i am trying to make.

I speak from a different prespective than most because i hung around with kids that were poor, didnt have money, were new to the country. I can tell you their side of their story, i am not speaking from a coaching prespective.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As you might expect, the USSF isn't interested in illigal immigrants. They aren't eligible for the US programs, and >99% of them never will be. In fact, MLS/USL/PDL, etc. can't be interested in them either........seeing as they would be unable to hire them. So I don't understand the point of the discussion.

5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    has anyone heard of this kid william alexander molano? in croatian media they said he signed for dinamo zagreb..according to the article he is one of the most talented young players in america..it also says that he is 17 and the he plays for the under 18 U.S national team..here is the link..

http://sportske.jutarnji.hr/index.php?cmd=show_clanak&clanak_id=13551

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wasn't there a kid named Alex Molano at Bradenton?

Edit: Yes there is. He's a midfielder from Grapevine, Texas. It must be the same kid, because there's a picture of him in the article in an FC Dallas jersey..........and Alex Molano player for FC Dallas Juniors.

7. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    ye he was playing for dallas jrs..

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I posted your article in the Yanks Abroad forum, and they'll be able to help us more over there.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159152

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    FC Dallas has a Gold Mine of U-17 players......the problem is they are probally going to lose out because do people really expect FC Dallas to have 6 19-21 year olds and than another 5 possible 17-18 year olds on their roster at the same time? Thats why its important for other teams in MLS to get over the "expierance" is most important thought and have some American Youth in the league.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Actually, this might be the right thread for this after all. In the article, I believe, it says that molano has Croatian roots.........and that Croatian youth teams are interested.

11. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    his grandmother is croatian so he is elgible to play for croatia one day if he chooses too..

12. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    uuhh..then be prepared. ;) The Croatian FA aggressively poaches talented players.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His grandmother is Croatian. I could see a guy playing for his mother or fathers favorite country, but I don't know of anyone who would skip out on a better quality team for their grandmother.

I'm just saying that unless he was very close with his grandmother, which he could have been, it AINT HAPPENIN

14. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's happening all over Europe...:confused: (just think of all the English playing for Scotland and Ireland because of a grandmother/father...)
    Ludovic Obraniak playing for Poland (Polish Grandmother), Damien Perquis (Polish Grandmother) soon to have his debut for the Polish team. Mauro Camoranesi playing for Italy because of Italian grandparents.

Gregory Sertic is another target of the Croatian FA, he had a Croatian Grandfather.

Anyway, just wanted to say that the Croatians can try very hard to convince somebody. And they can be succesful, ask the Australians or Swiss.

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about all of those examples is the ability to play higher level football. I believe that the US can beat croatia, almost 50/50 imo. The thing about all of those players is one of two things:

1) They weren't good enough for their "main" country, and just used a passport they were eligible for to play for a lesser team but still play internationally.

2) They had a chance at HIGHER football through some passport they were eligible for.

I don't see the USA and Croatia in this situation. (as of September 5, 2009)

16. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if FC Dallas got any sort of compensation for a transfer?

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd imagine they'd get a decent chunk of 'allocation money'.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Doubt it. Alex Molano wasn't signed to MLS, just a youth team. There's a difference.

19. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know in England, clubs get compensated regardless is if the player is signed to a pro or youth contract.

The only way you will ever see youth development get big in this country is if significant money can be made off of it. If an individual decides he can make $30mil a year selling players by only investing $15mil into an academy, coaching, and scouting, then you will start to see more academies pop-up and scouts looking all over the place for the next big thing.

Of course, these investors will also need a professional team as a front, since third-party ownership is not allowed by FIFA. This will help grow the American soccer pyramid.

It is a pipe dream for all of us, but could be possible one of these days.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This is the very reason why MLS has to start doing it. Not necessarily for the 30/15 ratio but possibly a 1M/500K ratio to start. We can't continue for us to lose our best youth uncompensated. Just bad business. In my mind it will also be a better way to develop talent for the league rather than paying the Avg European player 200K per season.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I wonder. If FC Dallas got "training compensation" I wonder if that would interfere with the college eligibility of all their youth players. If so, it's probably better for FCD just to let the kid go for free than to kill their youth program.

22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt NCAA simply say you cant play college sports if you've played professionally??

couldnt they produce some form of youth contract that keeps them eligible, but also prevents our youth clubs from losing a player without just compensation??

so long as its a youth-contract and they dont play any pro-level games, i dont think NCAA can prevent them from playing

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't college kids play in the PDL during the off-season?

The topic we're discussing here (compensation for youth players) is being debated throughout Europe right now..........particularly after Chelsea's trevails........and the high-profile ManU-Pogba affair. I mean, Lazio wasn't compensated when ManU came in for Macheda........this is just the way world football works right now. I don't see why FCD would get compensation for Molano when he: A) wasn't signed to an actual contract. B) was incapable of actually being "called" up to the MLS club. Unlike in England, where a club can use whatever youth players they want to in a real game, you can't in the US. FCD can't just suit up Leyva, Luna, Ulloa, etc. They'd have to sign contracts with the league, FCD would have to have the right amount of cap space/roster slots, etc. I'm sure Molano had absolutely no contract with MLS in any way. So why would MLS (not FCD per say, as they league owns the contracts) be compensated? They wouldn't.

What FCD needs to do (or other MLS youth programs) is use any of these captures by foreign teams...........as feathers in their cap. That should attract additional kids into their programs.........leading eventually to some of these talents ending up in their squad.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think FC Dallas has to kill their youth program if players choose to lose their college eligibility. There are many ways for players who wish to be educated to pursue an elite method of professional youth development while still being able to pursue higher education. I know college soccer right now plays a significant role in providing MLS cheap not especially skilled players, but it doesn't always have to be that way.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Right now maybe but in a few yrs MLS HAS to be able to train and keep young talent in the country for 2 very important reasons. To be able to eventually elevate the talent of the league in a cost effective manner. And to be able to sell those players to Europe to recoup the investment and bank significant revenue. The majority of youth thus soccer youth do not have the skill or wish to attend college. And for those elite players who want to pursue higher education, college soccer does not have to be that method nor manner to become educated or the way to become the best soccer player they can be.