Yanks on Foreign YNTs

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Updating Aquino here, now has 17 goals in 14 games. His DA profile says he graduates this spring. Is he college-bound? Something else?

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Who knows!

But he's captied to Bolivia I guess? I wonder if he tries to play in MLS.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems '93 Kenneth "Kenny" Saief, formerly of 1860 Munich and lately with IPL club Hapoel Nir Ramat HaSharon, was born in the States. He has played some youth matches for Israel. Hat tip to @Testudo for the assist.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I like Jorge Calix a lot. He is the kind of youth player I look for. Too bad that we couldn't get him to play for us.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I seem to remember him looking solid (though not as spectacular as a few others) with the Nike Friendlies group. TDS has his HS graduation year as '15.

9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    He is the type of kid that a lot of youth coaches in this country don't buy into, but I love him. In a way I am glad that Honduras picked him up because he may have more of a chance of getting appreciated there, but you never know. Andy Najar wasn't appreciated in Honduras until he made it as a player outside of Honduras. At the end of the day Jorge has to make it with whatever situation that he has and the determination that he shows or doesn't show will go a long way toward deciding his fate as a player. The kid has the ability. We will see if he has the will. Sometimes developing an iron will is the hardest part about making it as a player. Time will tell.

bajansoccer and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Game on!

[​IMG]

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    What can you tell me about the younger Najar brothers?? They're on the radar aswell for this upcoming U-20 cycle.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Paging @Peter Bonetti, who I believe has posted knowledgeably about the younger Najars. (I don't know anything about them.)

17. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Andy is the best of the Najar brothers. Denis has finished DC United's Academy program and I am not sure what he is doing. I thought that Denis always did very well at the academy level when given a chance, but it seemed like coaches were often looking to give other players who were less effective more chances than Denis. I never understood that. Cristhian Najar is a talented defender who can play centrally and get forward, but he can often be a loose cannon - getting kicked out of games for absolutely no logical reason at the most inconvenient possible times for his team. I haven't seen him play as much this year as the two previous seasons, but it did appear that he was making an effort to control himself this year, though I haven't seen him enough to know if he could control himself consistently. He could also be a pro if he could better control his emotions, but that is a big if.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  18. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    By the way, I am a big fan of Jorge Calix. I am really hoping that he does well for Honduras. He is exactly the type of youth player that I would love to see do well and go pro.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, there seems to be a lot of high hopes for Jorge, but it might be slim picking for him once the bigger U-20 names join the fold. There's a ton of depth at forward right now for this U-20 cycle, some names like Brayan Rochez who scored 15 goals in Apertura/Clausura season for a Championship Real Espana side, Alberth Elis whose the crown jewel of this past U-17 side that made it to the quarters in UAE, and Junior Lacayo whose currently playing for Santos Laguna U-20 side and is being pipped as their new Darwin Quintero. There's also Jorge Bodden who scored 6 goals in Liga Mayor in just 4 games. A lot of stiff comp, but it should bode well for him aslong as he does what he's supposed to since the U-20 staff are real high on him.

Also that Honduran kid who was a forward that used to play for the DC United Academy, who ended up goin to Spain. ummmmm his name escapes me.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  20. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Honduras are certainly not hurting for upcoming talent.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I remember his name now.. Roberto Navas. Do you remember a Roberto Navas?

22. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    He must have been there before I started watching them. I watched them pretty consistently for about two straight years, but I don't remember Roberto Navas. He sounds like a kid that I would remember from your description.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea this was probably two years ago. He was there pretty briefly. He was being followed as was Ostin Salmeron whose now in college iirc. Needless to say Roberto Navas is trialling with some lowly La Liga side in Spain.

Any other Honduran-American names in DMV?

24. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I will let you know as I find them.