Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of the guy to check for testicular cancer. Just hope he didn't try to line up a prostate exam later in the game.

FW__ and Winoman repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose Francisco Torres lifted some silverware recently, winning the LigaMX Cup with Tigres. He went all 90 minutes in a 3-0 win.

He's been getting less love in the USNT forums than most players who are starting and playing well for big league clubs. Are people just wary of discussing him as he's shown to be less than overly useful for the USNT, or is it b/c he plays a position of serious depth and the chances of him getting into the 30, much less on the plane to Brasil are slim? Clearly he's in form, and healthy. He's scored some cracking goals recently. It would be interesting to see how he would stack up right now against a Stacha (sp?) or Mix. I know it's virtually a mortal sin to suggest that Mix might not be a lock part of the 23 (and I hope his play dictates that he will go), but JFT is a quality player who is rounding into form at the exact right time, and should at least warrant some discussion?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing the guy wasn't wearing a rubber glove! ;)

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Torres had his WC chance four years ago and messed it up big time against an underwhelming Slovenia squad. A few good games in Liga MX isn't going to make up for that.

I'd rather have Feilhaber or Mix than Torres at this point. He doesn't offer enough on the defensive or offensive side of the ball - he's also pretty slight of frame.

5. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Four years ago.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Sometimes in life, you only get one shot. Nobody said life was fair.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that's not at all applicable to Jose Torres. You make it seem like his failure in the 2010 World Cup is why he isn't on the team now. If that's true, Klinsmann wouldn't have bothered capping him FIFTEEN TIMES. No, the reason that Torres isn't on the team is that he underwhelmed in the chances that Klinsmann gave him, and because he plays a position that has a lot of depth.

I have never been particularly high on Torres, but judging him based on caps when he was 22 is just stupid. We have a ton of players who were just turning pro at that age, and were nowhere near the national team.

And Torres is still only 26 years old. While I don't think he has much shot to make the the 30 man roster in May, he still could work his way back onto the team next cycle.

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The Us needs to at least consider players that are playing well at a good level heading into the WC. I have never thought Torres was quite good enough, but he was always a legitimate player. Maybe he's improved. He doesn't have a natural position with the US, but he ought to be in the discussion for the 30 as much as Sacha, Green, or Corona or (although other positions) Chandler or Ream.

9. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Torres can hit a left footed free kick. That's a rare thing in our player pool right now.

For the US, he's been most effective as a wide midfielder/forward. He pinches in well from either side, stays connected with his teammates and is surprisingly aggressive and effective on the high press.

Since Brek Shea isn't playing, and Brad Davis and Julian Green are coping with injuries, to me Torres ought to be in the 30 man camp.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Nope, because the overwhelming sample size of his NT play shows him as not good enough.

11. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    In your opinion of course.

In my opinion, a good left foot, some decent club form and US passport gets you in the conversation at this point.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a short conversation.

Is he going to make the 30-man? Not likely at all.
    Is he going to Brazil? Nope.

There, done!

13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Thank you for clearing that up for me. You've convinced me.

DiscoWarrior11 and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    How many more chances should a guy get who:

-Isn't very good when he doesn't have space or time
    -Isn't fast nor quick
    -Can't create offense for others
    -Can't create it for himself
    -Has a 2 month sample size of offensive production being outweighed by 5 years and 22ish caps showing he can't produce offensively

His current form in LigaMX is nice. He's a good pro, but for the NT, he's an extreme situational player, good at the international level against teams that sit back and pack it in. Ghana, Portugal and Germany aren't going to sit back. They aren't going to give our mids time and space on the ball.

He'd be a waste of a spot.

15. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Feilhaber is better imo

keller4president repped this.
  16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His INEFFECTIVENESS as a wide player in the many caps and starts JK gave him at the beginning of the cycle is why no one talks about him any more. He is a talented guy, but is miscast as a wide player where scoring and chance creatino is expected - unless his recent scoring binge is an indicator of a big change. He just never fit into the USMNT in his natural and normal central midfield position.

17. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    If Feilhaber had a left foot, I'm sure he'd be a stronger candidate.

18. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Didn't JK mostly play him on a flank, but not as a wide player but as a false play maker?

19. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    He's already shown he doesnt need to be left footed to be good on the left. Its not like Torres gets down the wing and whips in crosses with his left anyways

20. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm referring to set pieces.

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are saying that JT didn't stay wide, true enough as he obviously doesn't have the game to run to the endline and cross. Of course, many USMNT left mids have played the left flank without being a classic wide player (though less so under JK than Bradley), with Dempsey and Donovan, coming easily to mind. Regardless of whether Torres played as a wide player or not, JK used him more on the left flank than in his accustomed midfield position. And my view remains that Torres doesn't produce enough goals and chances created for that role, regardless of how wide he plays.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  22. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught the Sunderland game...no JA again. The team ended up playing fairly well, so don't see a need for the coach to put JA back in starting line-up. This is very discouraging...wonder what JK is going to do about this come WC choices.

23. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Most likely call him into the 30 and see for his own eyes how well he performs in the US setup at camp.

This could turn out to be a fantastic opportunity. Jozy gets a few more weeks rest not going it alone up top in the "see if you can soften up the defense for 90 minutes" gameplan for Sunderland. Sunderland gets relegated. And Jozy is told he is in the shop window heading into the World Cup. He busts his ass in camp and is our #1 striker. Scouts from Portugal and Germany club teams for sure will be watching. Scouts from rest of Europe as well.

How do you think he responds? He dominated against Costa Rica immediately after the Charlie Davies accident. Different circumstances here, but we very well may see a highly motivated Altidore down in Brazil.

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I don't know what his status is, but Beasley had to get subbed out of Puebla's match due to injury yesterday.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quentin Westberg got promoted to Ligue 2 with Luzenac. Notable i suppose given the developing dearth of US GKs overseas that we are not used to having.

RalleeMonkey repped this.