Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the guys without their own threads, or a catchall for recent info.

Credit COMtnGuy for the idea, even though I liked it and he did not, LOL.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    JAB and Julian Green need to be capped.

chad repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Good thread idea. Brooks and Green are the new dual-national flavors of the week. I'm really hoping for a liftoff from Gyau, Gatt, Lletjet, Wood, Wooten. Hoyos at OFi Crete. We need an element of youth, speed, creativity in the big team.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Boom goes the dynamite! 18 yo Paul Arriola with an assist in his Liga MX debut with Tijuana.

Sandon Mibut, USAMEX10 and HomietheClown repped this.
  5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Great thread idea, and one I had considered pitching over the last couple months since the number of YAs has grown exponentially over the last 5 or so years. A nice little "sportscenter" for our YAs without having to check each individual thread. :thumbsup:

6. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like we haven't left the door open for Brooks.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Greg Garza also with a start for CTJ and an assist or assist-ish.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At some point we might as well just call up Tijuana.................

They're going to have more Americans in their 18 than a few MLS clubs!

Sandon Mibut and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or invade Baja California and make it part of the US

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I'd trade them Baja Cal for Texas, straight up! ;)

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That would have some pretty severe consequences for the USMNT.........................

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Taeshan

Taeshan Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Not really. With Dempsey, already cap tied...

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Lol...giving Texas to Mexico would be akin to giving California, or at least all of southern California, to them. There are a massive number of prospects coming through the Texas youth ranks right now, acting like it wouldn't be a big deal is silly.

Also, sorry for the OT but this was a bad post and I needed to respond.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We always here Europe/Mex isn't better as far as joining their academies because there's no proven track record of Americans breaking through.

I always thought that was shortsided and you have to give this next generation, the generation which is going to academies in Europe/Mex time to break in and break through. And, I think in the next 2-3 years we're going to start seeing a number of success stories of Americans who've been in foreign academies for a couple years starting to break into 1st team action, and doing it in some very good leagues while still only 19/20/21.

What's happening at Xolos while remarkable, is only a portion of the growing issue with the youth scene, which is that our top prospects are growing in number(great for the US) but are getting opportunities abroad and looking to leave at an also quickly growing rate(bad for MLS).

I mean, what happens when there finally is that track record of success breaking through abroad? Raises confidence in the American player. Increases opportunities for others. Increases the likelihood other top prospects following suit. Will be interesting. What is good for our NT and NT prospects might not be good for MLS.

And Xolos doesn't just have near or more Americans than some MLS teams(or will in the near future), but what is more concerning is they already have more and better American prospects than most MLS teams. Garza, Corona, Arriola, Guido, I mean, my local MLS team in SJ can't compete with that level of American prospects. And two great prospects from NorCal already went to a different Mex club in Joya and Cuevas.

Actually, how many MLS teams have more American prospects, top prospects, young prospects than Xolos? And, the ones which do, are they supplying the same amount of playing time either with the 1st team or reserves? And that is a real issue here.

Really, the MLS teams with as much American talent, LAG, SKC, maybe RSL/DCU/NE, they aren't stacked with prospects like Xolos. Omar/Landon aren't young prospects and get past that and Villareal/Zardes are good prospects, but I'd give Xolos the edge. SKC has American talent, but it aint young, Besler/Zusi being the best and guys like Sapong/Bunbury having their development fall off a cliff. It's actually shocking this isn't talked about more. We have a club south of the border with more top American prospects(not vets) offering more playing time than any MLS team. If I'm missing a team or two which is similar please point it out, but a team or two would just lend itself to the point that it's a problem. We should have numerous MLS teams providing what Xolos does.

swedust repped this.
  15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USAMEX10 repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Flores had 2 goals/3 assists in a friendly last week and was kept up with the U23's as a result.

Baller.

USAMEX10 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Junior Flores with Dortmund?

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Affirmative. With the U23's in Austria.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sacha Kljestan started & went 90 as Anderlecht won the Belgian Super Cup today 1-0 against Genk.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas might with John, Hedges, Zimmerman, Woodberry, Acosta, Baladez, Top etc except the coach won't play the young ones only the ones he drafts from college.

21. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
  22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many prospects out of Texas, I should know. Move Bradenton to California and give them Florida. They are similarly shaped, except that Florida is full of crazy and Baja is wonderful.

Magikfute repped this.
  23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would be a shrewd bit of business. Florida is a depreciating asset. It'll be under water in 150 years. If we could get anything for it, I'd be impressed.

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States