Yanking the New Transfer Thread Chain (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we need a cb, a dm, a creative attacking player/support forward/number 10 and we are set with podlski coming

my ins and outs now with my personal estimates

out

arshavin 5 mill
    bendtner 5 mill
    vela 7.5 mill
    chamakh 1 mill
    squillaci 1 mill

in

kagawa/ben arfa/sessengon/dembele (all of which would be around 10 - 15 mill)
    vertonghen 8 mill (if he doesn't go the yids)
    bender 10 - 15 mill (quality player at dortmund, his bro is good at leverkusen too)

havn't seen much m'vila to comment

2. DBecks

DBecks Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

£5m for both Arshavin & Bendtner each is a bit wishful. I'd be happy with £4m and some extra balls for both of 'em combined. I personally think Nicky belongs on a Championship side.

I'd also add Almunia, Fabianski, and Mannone to this list, although selling three keepers in one summer might be difficult.

(With that in mind, I'd also try to bring in another keeper, someone older who's content with being the #2.)

And while reports of £17m for M'Vila made me do a double take, I say we pay whatever it takes for the guy. (Hopefully in the £13-15m range.) He's just what Arsenal needs in a DM.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    almunia is leaving on a free right and fab is a nice second choice!

4. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    This probably is true, but every team struggles with injuries. No team is healthy all year long. I'm sure ManU's, Spurs' and Chelsea's fans are saying the same thing. This is a fantasy scenario that is not grounded in reality.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

6. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Exactly, Utd finished level on points with Citeh without their most influential defender for most of the season.

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone discuss Benayoun yet? I liked him for the last month or so, I know he wants to play regularly but I wouldn't mind him staying.

8. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't mind him staying either, I like what he brings to the team but the reality is most likely that he's too old at this point for arsene to splash on him unless Chelsea's willing to let him go for really, really cheap (unlikely)

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the consummate professional. If Arsene can get rid of the dead wood, he should try to keep Yossi. He can be a good option coming from the bench, he seems to be a great teammate and a good influence for the youngsters. He works his socks off every time he steps up on the field.

Catfish repped this.
  10. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    Unfortunately, we are still paying for the policy of signing all those mediocre youth team products to relatively lucrative long-term contracts.

Reason I bring it up is I'm starting to see some worrying signs about the trajectory of our transfer dealings again - Wenger's comments last week, rumor on onlinegooner that Vertonghen was done, but we tried to nickle-and-dime him and he cut off negotiations after having already agreed to a basic contract framework.

The question then becomes: why are we nickel-and-diming Vertonghen? Champions league qualification and our activity last summer should leave us more than enough to spend on two or three relatively big signings. So what gives? The only thing I can think is that our wage bill is still quite high (4th in the league according to Tim Payton at AST). And this comes back, again, to having 10-12 essentially worthless players on the squad making 40 to 70 pounds a week.

11. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    This said, I do think we can shift at least Vela and Arshavin and probably Bendtner.

Bendtner and Arshavin are both on fairly high wages. Vela isn't so much. Almunia I think is on approximately 50-60 and his contract expires next month.

This still leaves us with Denilson, Chamakh, Squillaci, and Park, who I just don't see anyone buying at any price. We might be able to give away Denilson and Chamakh, but I don't know who in their right mind would take on the other two.

Whatever the case, I do have some hope we will see activity in dumping deadwood this summer.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can sell Squilacci and Park in France, albeit not for much though, Squid may even go back to Monaco. Chamakh can be sold for easily 4 to 5 M (Bordeaux, Fiorentina among others were interested). However, I will mot be surprised if AW keeps him as a third CF option. Denilson may be the most difficult to move.

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends as Denilson might be close enough to being able to apply for a UK passport which would make him easier to shift since La Liga has a 3 non EU policy and Serie A allows for 1(or is it 2 now?) non EU transfers.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    isn't his contract up? the real question would be whether he would be willing to take a pay cut to come over and whether he would be willing to accept a short contract.

15. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Park is an unknown commodity. But Chamakh and Squillaci, while they didn't work for us were good enough to get noticed by us so it doesn't mean they can't make a return to Ligue 1 and be successful.

16. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It'll be interesting to see how he plays it. If he wants to play regularly in the twilight of his career, I can see him going to another country or playing for a mid-table side. Like Ben said, he's a luxury to have such a professional on the bench.

To echo what someone said earlier, we need to also have a goalkeeper to back up Woj.

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love for his to stay but he will not play regularly for us. I have always admired his work ethic and to be fair, he has been a gooner since 2006 :) .

18. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of that being caught up field may have been the absence of a player like Jack Wilshere. Song had to pick up the slack a bit. With that said, I would really like to see Arsenal's outside backs picking their moments better and/or making sure they come back and cover when the ball is opposite side of the park. You can criticize the centerbacks but when there are acres of space to either side of them because the outside backs are surging forward it is not that easy to shut people down.

19. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is there a correlation between our good run in March/April with Arteta being healthy and Song being able to focus on defensive duties? Once Arteta went down we really struggled to generate and really needed that extra midfielder pushing up to create?

20. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Big time correlation, Arsenal only won 1 game (the last game) without Arteta since he joined. Every other game without him has been either a loss or draw.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    almost

Arteta was the steady head and the guy who helped us keep possession. He also dropped back to cover the fullbacks and centerbacks. When he went out, we had no player with that mentality.

22. OnlineSoccer

OnlineSoccer New Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree. I know I'm a wee bit bias being excited by having an Israeli at our club being (M.O.T.), but he worked his socks off and seems to be the consummate team player.

24. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Amen, we seem to be lacking in "high-motor" guys who are just running, running, running. Which is not always a good thing, but he makes it work for his game.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    kagawa would be a don here

imagine

....................rvp/lucas

chambo...kagawa....theo/gervinho