Yanking the New Transfer Thread Chain (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    No, it's terrible business.

Firstly we'll never get 4-5 million for him. That's more than we paid for him. Who wants to spend that much on a player that has never played, and then have to spend at least another couple of million a year on wages ? No-one.

Secondly, in transfer fee and wages, he's cost us £5mill already.

Our best bet is to take him into a darkened room and explain he'll never get a game for us ever again, and give him a copy of his contract to tear up and show him the back door.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    right. time for arsenal to pull the finger out, get the deals done, get the right players out, get the right players in and get them in training early so we can start next season completely prepared. no more ****ing about.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    agree with scally, let's not wait till after the season starts to bring in players!

4. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we need to get rid of 5-6 players no joke

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almunia, Bendtner, Vela, Fabianski, Squilacci, Park, Djourou, Arshavin. Who else am I missing? :)

6. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Denilson.

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i mean, if anything, his value has dropped.

8. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i'd like to hang onto djourou. pretty good for a 4th choice CB. Wouldn't mind Fabianski staying either, but i think he wants the 1st team football.

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree with all of this.

Djourou is a much better player than we give him credit for. Ditto Fabianski. But as you say he wants to go, and I don't fault him at all for that.

10. 88AgentS

88AgentS Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Centerbacks:
    Koscielny, Mertersacker, Vermaelen , Djourou, Squillaci, Miquel, Bartley

Maybe we send Miquel out on loan and let Bartley fight for a spot this time around?

11. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bartley is pretty good. He is better than Miquel as a defender in my view. You could loan him to a Premiership club just to see how he would do at the top flight.

12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with our CB's is that our best CB is not good enough. Other than RvP, there is a dearth of truly world class players at the club.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Koscielny is good enough

I wouldnt be surprised if Bartley is sold this summer.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I haven't seen anything of Bartley but what makes him clearly better than Miquel who hasn't featured a lot this year?

15. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are probably right about this.

We are solid everywhere, but spectacular almost nowhere. RVP is great. IMO Song could play for any team in the world, but would benefit from not having to play every single minute of every match. Beyond them we have lots of players who are good, but not great.

It was a good season overall. It would've been smoother without injuries to key players like Gibbs, Sagna, and Arteta. I don't think it would've come down to the last match day if they had been healthy all year. Then again, we lucked out a bit with RVP's health. I'd probably take that trade.

Transfer-wise, we don't have too many urgent needs, but we could use help almost everywhere. I think we might need to buy another young fullback. Jenkinson is probably the worst player on the team, IMO. He was pitiful today and we're lucky that it didn't cost us.

16. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    For the record, Sagna is one of the best in the world in his position.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Jenkinson is not PL and even less Arsenal material. Perhapls, he should be sent on loan next season and learn the trade. We can't start the season with him deputizing for Bacary.
    I beg to differ on Song though, He had a good season (not a great one) but, IMO, he is overrated. He has become enamored with his Hollywood passes and body positioning. He is not a great DM, does not shield the defense and is often found up the field when the other team is attacking us. We need a steady and consistent performer at the DM position.

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't feel Jenkinson is bad, he has just come off an injury lay off, and gets put up against fortune, who basically showed him the difference in strength between a man and a boy. Basically every battle he lost was when he tried to engage in a battle of strength. That being said you aren't going to find that many outside runners with that much strength. Its not footballing skill he lacks, its physical development.

19. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Everyone is ragging on Jenkinson but I remember before his injury and he started a few games he was getting high praises from most Arsenal supporters. His crosses are nice and he seems to have an engine. His defense isn't bad either. To be realistic however, he's been out how long? He has to get back into the game.

20. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    from brief flashes I've seen of Jenkinson, he's capable of floating in pinpoint crosses, which is a quality we lack. Don't be too hard on the guy.

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    We dont need to worry too much about Jenkinson, there are other players in front of him in the queue to the back door. Almunia has gone, but we need to shift several others off the wage bill.

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    thank god some common sense regarding jenkinson..
    guy would have a hard time breaking into a Hull side, much less Arsenal.

23. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season over. We need a lot of good new players to be competitive next season. I am sure Chelsea will restock, Man U and City will add, Liverpool will splurge again. My fear is that we were active early on in case we missed CL and now AW/AFC will shift into inertia mode especially with all this recent humming about how we have a big squad.

Finishing third with this team is a HUGE achievement. But on any other year, this would be heresy. I hope we can buy but more importantly, we can sell some to get what we need. Bendtner, Vela and Arshavin should bring us good coin. Denilson, Sqillaci, Park, and Chamakh need to go too. I'd much rather re-sign Almunia to a smaller contract and keep him as an experienced backup to Chesney. The next three months will be absolutely vital to our beloved AFC. In the meantime, lets just put this season behind us and relax a bit.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I can't imagine we'll get much for Bendtner, he's failed at Sunderland. Vela should get us a few mill, Arshavin maybe 2, (he's almost 31 and hardly the first one down the gym every day). Denilson will hopefully go back on loan, or have his contract paid off. Squillaci likewise. Park and Chamakh might be hard to shift, Park will be on good money, and hasnt played. Hopefully we can ship him back to Ligue 1 for free. If Chamakh is on big money like Sol was when he joined, I cant see him leaving.

25. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the season is over what's the scuttlebutt?