Yankee Stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, May 23, 2013.

1. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Well, coming to Big Soccer (with the tens of people who watch this particular thread) isn't exactly a great place to push an agenda. Is it?

Some people are just crazy in denial that they have to resort to conspiracy theories. It's sad. Real sad.

What seems to be the situation is as follows:

NYC - doesn't seem to really care at all about this NYCFC stadium.

Some of the team owners (like the Sheik, maybe?) - seem to desperately want a stadium within the five boroughs.

Yankees and their President (who is an owner) - desperately want NYCFC out of Yankee and are open to outside of the five boroughs.

Yonkers - Mayor wants stadium

That's where we're at. Believe what you want (which most of the people seem to do already).

2. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what I mean. Almost nothing you just said is proven. It's all your interpretations from articles that seem to fit your interests. It's just like the guys before you that were dead set on NYCFC playing in Westchester for next season because of MLB. But as we can see, they all couldn't be more wrong.

I mean look at the last article you just posted. All Levine said was that if they end up not being able to get something done in the city then he advises looking elsewhere. That's it. But of course you have to spin that into some conspiracy of the Yankees not liking to share their field. Hell, from that same article you posted Levine also said:
    I'm not in denial about anything. There is really nothing to be in denial about at this point except of baseless theories from people that obviously don't want to see this team succeed.

fuzzx, SoccerPrime and CornellBigRed repped this.
  3. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Well, here's all the support to bolster my claims (of course, feel free to deny).

Support for claim 1: NYC - doesn't seem to really care at all about this NYCFC stadium.

De Blasio on advisers, priorities, cost-cutting
    De Blasio's priorities : http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...36/de-blasio-advisers-priorities-cost-cutting
    This is from the same website as the "De Blasio" dialogue article - you know the one that had the delusional jumping up and down about the dialogue over the Bronx stadium.
    Read it - no where does it mention anything about SSS. Sorry if you want to deny a source that everyone was jumping up and down about a few days ago. It's clearly not a priority (hence NYC doesn't care).

Support for claim 2: Some of the team owners (like the Sheik, maybe?) - seem to desperately want a stadium within the five boroughs.

Article from http://www.mlssoccer.com/ http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...unce-yankee-stadium-be-home-field-2015-season

Support for claim 3: Yankees and their President (who is an owner) - desperately want NYCFC out of Yankee and are open to outside of the five boroughs

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/s...y-at-yankee-stadium-for-three-years.html?_r=2

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...e-yankee-stadium-will-permanent-venue-be-city

Support for claim 4: Yonkers - Mayor wants stadium
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/mayor-soccer-yonkers-24830/

All supported.

However, you whill4, you claimed that NYCFC ruled out anything outside of the five boroughs - can you please provide proof? Please document that the NYCFC explicitly said "NOTHING OUTSIDE THE FIVE BOROUGHS."

It's also interesting how everyone doesn't believe De Blasio or NYCFC selectively but they all of a sudden believe that Levine can magically divine a stadium within NYC. It's all talk, this confidence, and talk is cheap.

4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, none of that is any real evidence. It's cherry picked quotes, most of which alone still doesn't prove anything you claim.

And yes, I can prove that they are committed only to the five boroughs. That's what they said in yesterday's press conference. Go to 28:36. It's the second time in that interview they clearly state the five boroughs is what they're committed to

fuzzx, m_vandersee, SoccerPrime and 2 others repped this.
  5. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad Fuzzx and myself are no longer alone arguing with the esteemed Mr. Vero. You're definitely in politics Vero, because you speak just like a politician. Kind-of truths backed up with sort-of facts. Nitpicking what "supports" your opinion while ignoring the rest.

For example:
    Sure he doesn't mention the NYCFC stadium in the article, but he also doesn't mention affordable housing. Obviously, affordable housing isn't important to the Mayor since he didn't mention it in this interview. That is if I follow your logic correctly.

Or even:
    I've read every article that has come out about NYCFC and I have never heard the Yankees state that they desperately want NYCFC out of the Stadium. The quote you chose doesn't say that. It says baseball is more important, which makes sense and is not a surprise. Not ideal for NYCFC either but so it goes. Mr. Levine is not an owner (FYI), nevertheless he does state he is open to a NYCFC stadium outside the five boroughs. However, the following quote shows that the Yankees are quite happy with the situation and are committed to a NYC stadium.

fuzzx repped this.
  6. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Vero hard at work with his f.cosmos secret decoder ring. N-Y-C-F-C-I-S-G-O-I-N-G-T-O-W-E-S-T-C-H-E-S-T-E-R-N-O-Y-O-N-K-E-R-S

Sorry to disagree Cornell, but Vero isn't a politician. He's a butt hurt fan of the f.cosmos who's all pissed off because his organic grassroots authentic cosmos movement is about to dry up and blow away out there in Long Island. The crap he's leaving here is no different than any other fanboy leaves here, or on Facebook, or on mlsoccer.com. Desperate, desperate times for those types.

7. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never missed a Union game at Harrison and I've never been to Yankee Stadium so I am really looking forward to it. In fact, if they scheduled the Union games against the two teams on a Wednesday and Saturday I would seriously think about doing the tourist thing and hang out in the City for the four days.

Dante repped this.
  8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    .....but won't you be outraged as a fan? Soccer in Yankee stadium? The hated Yankees?

I mean, you guys kind of started organically...well, at least your fan club did. Your team didn't, so I am not sure if you are real fan? Are u?

The silliness of it all is just....silly.

You can see a brand new fan of MLS soccer out there. MLS growth, the stadiums, some stars, signing of Yanks to come back home, and it's as if they are now being forced to acknowledge and follow the league....albeit almost grudgingly. There is enough in place now, in enough areas, where the league isn't a farce in their eyes, but dammit they are gonna bitch, moan, complain, and whine because it really isn't how they want it...but they are being forced to pay attention so WAHHHHHH!

What's even funnier is that the league is taking some real steps to try and elevate the game even more with the buying out of CUSA, Miami Beckhams, Atlanta and NYCFC. In all probability it's gonna be real bumpy, take time, and not all of it is gonna work out, but damn I can't helped but be impressed by the attempt......for soccer....in the US. Never thought I was gonna ever see this 30 years ago.

Of course there is a lot to criticize, but bold moves are always relentlessly criticized. Has been like that throughout history....because that is an easy thing to do. Most bold talkers don't have the balls or will to do anything worthwhile, except criticize those who do. Will never change.

This will be real hard.

Don't know which one would surprise me more. An NYFC stadium in NY proper, or a Cosmos stadium.

Odds are against both, but damn it's awesome to behold.

fuzzx repped this.
  9. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a season ticket holder with the Galaxy back in 1996 when they had overtime and shootouts. Now that was minor league. I have been with the Sons of Ben since day one and if NYFC was relegated to playing in the Cyclones Stadium out on Coney Island I would think they were slumming but for now going to Yankee Stadium at least once a year to see soccer will be pretty cool. Besides, we'll get to berate you too about having so many empty seats at your games.

10. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I know delusions and reading/listening comprehension are major problems with some people on this forum, but there is a difference between "committed" and "ruling out."

So, NYCFC are "committed" to the five boroughs. I believe they are. But that doesn't mean you will not "consider" or eventually decide to "break the commitment."

A man marries a woman - that's a commitment. But, we all know commitments can be broken. It's called divorce.

NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE SAID they are "ruling out" or "excluding" the possibility of moving outside of the five boroughs.

When you exclude/rule out, that means you are definitely "not going to do it." NYCFC HASN'T DONE THIS YET.

What I find hilarious is that people are accusing me of "cherry picking" or "half-truths" when whill4 is doing exactly that. He is cherry-picking one line about "commitment" and somehow transformed that into saying "anything outside of the five boroughs is impossible." That's not true.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep on with this back-and-forth. Time will tell and it's non-sense to keep debating with people that confuse their dreams/wishes with reality.

Plus, at this rate, we're not going to be hearing anything about a permanent stadium for a long time - and as CornellBigRed knows I'm oh so very busy running for political office. Oops, cat's out-of-the-bag - darnnit!

11. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Mr.Vero ... How you gel the CFG business plan with playing in Yonkers is beyond me, they even turned down taking over one of the best teams in the Aleague because it was to suburbian.

"Our vision is to have a select group of inner-city teams playing in iconic cities.." There´s no room for compromise there really.

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok, also Kreis isn't agree with you and with Levine :
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...oard-yankee-stadium-plan-couldnt-be-better-th

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some video of recent friendlies at Yankees Stadium. Looks decent to me. I'm not sure the view from the seats would be so great, but it seems acceptable. Field looks good. Watch and decide.

This one starts off with some great shots of what the pitch will look like from multiple angles

chungachanga repped this.
  14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they end up putting some fans on the field. I know it will be difficult when it comes to protecting the field but it will look quite a bit better if they fit a couple hundred fans in that huge gap.

15. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    PLEASE!

First home game: v. NYRB

Shirt for such game (with a different badge, and by adidas of course):
    [​IMG]

16. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le sigh...I love this shirt but it's not happening. The colors are Man City blue and who knows about pinstripes.

17. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The colors are Man City blue, Yankee blue, white and orange. I think it is sadly inevitable that their primary kit will look EXACTLY as ManC's. However, the secondary could resemble the Yankees. Why not?

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    So, where's that big new fancy Bronx stadium that NYCFC was supposed to announce?

And why did Diaz now move backward on the project?

Five boroughs? What a joke. With Diaz withdrawing support and now even Purchase (Manhattanville College) stopping their training facility plans, it seems that NYCFC would be lucky to get some sort of permanent venue/training facility in Putnam County at this point.

fuzzx repped this.
  20. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was waiting for someone to comment on the current vaccum.

This situation is very very interesting, especially in the context of the David Villa signing and their brand activities.

On one hand they are doing all the right things to become a successful NY team, on the other hand they seem to get no traction on property issues.

The fact that they have a final deal at YS to stay until they have a final home puts everyone involved between a rock and a hard place.

The peanut gallery is amused.

21. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With David Villa and I hope other 2 great names maybe the 33,444 capacity of the YS for soccer can be even small for the first season of the NYCFC...........

22. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone have access to the interview?

23. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    It's down to poor management/planning. I'm not impressed with the Villa signing. Yes, he's a great player but is he going to bring extra butts into the stadium? Highly doubt it.

How is Villa any different than the Red Bulls signing Henry? He's not a "star" in America. You'd have to get Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, or maybe even someone like Ibrahimovic to get extra butts in the seats.

Are they doing everything to become a successful NY team? They said location was the most important thing about the franchise and they've failed to find permanent venues so far.

Frankly, I also believe they've turned a lot of people off as well - between Man City's involvement, the Yankees involvement, and emphasizing the 5 boroughs.

They said in a meeting with fans and a tweet (someone find it if you like) - "We want to be a regional club not just 5 boroughs." I think they've realized that they alienated a lot of fans outside the 5 boroughs. The reality is soccer in America is mostly a "suburban upper middle class white" sport - and areas like Westchester and Long Island would've been a great fit to develop a really passionate niche of fans.

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    You never fail to entertain.

25. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don´t understand why some think that NYCFC are in any particular hurry..

whill4 repped this.